Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2009, 11:31 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,420,131 times

Advertisements

Utah is the state to look at for economic tips. Utah has poor, but improving public schools, very high taxes, and its demographics turn off many people, yet it leads the way for economic and population growth even going into this recession.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2009, 11:40 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Utah is the state to look at for economic tips. Utah has poor, but improving public schools, very high taxes, and its demographics turn off many people, yet it leads the way for economic and population growth even going into this recession.
Ya,.. I was looking at the huffington post article on the Best and Worst Metro's in the recession... Turns out Albuquerque where I also live is #15 best metro. Las Vegas is 89th Worst... Yikes..I didnt see any Utah cities of Metros in the top 20 best though.

Old 06-18-2009, 01:52 PM

15,756 posts, read 38,208,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by US-Traveller View Post
Hard to deal with Utah. Its peculiarities make me doubt you can find any useful stuff there. The "other" gnvernment is just too powerful.

AZ however is similar but is doing a lot better than the west or SW in general.

Note that the well diversified CA and OR are hit much worse than NV.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:03 PM

3,435 posts, read 6,988,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post

Note that the well diversified CA and OR are hit much worse than NV.
True, This I will believe.. Oregon and Cali have many more cities and people than Nevada thats why. It just wasnt booming as fast. Nevada just has Vegas that is suffering and parts of Reno.

Old 06-19-2009, 10:58 AM

12,908 posts, read 27,998,514 times
nevada, not even in the top 5 for unemployment, not even the top for foreclosures...

Where does your state rank? - CNNMoney.com

Old 06-19-2009, 12:23 PM

2,086 posts, read 6,848,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by airics View Post
nevada, not even in the top 5 for unemployment, not even the top for foreclosures...

Where does your state rank? - CNNMoney.com
Holy guacamole did you see CA's budget deficit compared to the rest of the nation? The only state that even comes close is NY, and their deficit is just over 50% of CA's deficit. Unreal!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:02 PM

2,652 posts, read 8,583,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Just remember in the great depression unemployment went to 25%. That is when you really have a problem. As I said before, 9 out of 10 people have a job so there is no reason to panic or worry about your neighbors.
Tell that to the three or four people on your block that are out of a job.

Old 06-19-2009, 01:43 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armyjimb View Post
Wow!!! How high is this number going to go? I am lucky that I have a job. I am concern about my neighbors. They are all on the cutting blocks. All have tons of years at their employment. All have been giving warning that if it doesn't improved soon, they will be cut.

What is happening to out city? I know it's bad everywhere but it seems to be worse in Vegas.

God bless us all.
The true unemployment rate (including those who have stopped looking for work) is much higher than the official numbers coming from the BLS. I think the true unemployment is a figure referred to as U6. My guess is that the official unemployment rate in Nevada (currently 11.3%) is nowhere near reaching a maximum. I think it'll be officially at 13-15% before coming down; naturally, the true unemployment rate will be much higher than this.

Michigan's official unemployment rate is already 14.1% That's excluding much of the carnage from the Chrysler and GM Bankruptcies. It's going to get worse!

Old 06-19-2009, 01:45 PM

15,370 posts, read 39,117,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke9686 View Post
Tell that to the three or four people on your block that are out of a job.
You must live on a crappy block.....the one where I live is two blocks long, both sides of the street,,,,and the only one out of a job is the retired Doctor two doors up. [and that includes the halfway house on the corner.]

Old 06-19-2009, 01:46 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,335,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by las vegas drunk View Post
Just remember in the great depression unemployment went to 25%. That is when you really have a problem. As I said before, 9 out of 10 people have a job so there is no reason to panic or worry about your neighbors.
If they measured unemployment the same way now as they did then, the difference would be much smaller than it is. If official Nevada unemployment is 11.3%, the true unemployment (U6, considering people who have stopped looking for work and those who are underemployed, etc) could easily be higher than 20%
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Nevada > Las Vegas