Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2020, 11:15 AM

4,204 posts, read 4,691,381 times

Advertisements

European immigrants might be having all type of experiences. Those who came on jobs like IT, Hospitality will get their Green Cards and citizenship quickly. They do not spend a long time on visas like Indians or cross the border illegally from southern border.
However there are still many Irish, Polish background European who came here on Tourist visas and have overstayed. Either they have a set-plan of getting Green Card or they might be frustrated on their experience here. Possibly in Chicago, Baltimore region.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2020, 11:54 AM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by munna21977 View Post
European immigrants might be having all type of experiences. Those who came on jobs like IT, Hospitality will get their Green Cards and citizenship quickly. They do not spend a long time on visas like Indians or cross the border illegally from southern border.
However there are still many Irish, Polish background European who came here on Tourist visas and have overstayed. Either they have a set-plan of getting Green Card or they might be frustrated on their experience here. Possibly in Chicago, Baltimore region.
Legal immigrants go through the process. Please do not raise the race flag.

Old 03-10-2020, 07:14 AM

4,299 posts, read 1,557,704 times
As a European immigrant, I have never felt anything other than welcome. I often wonder if it would be different if English wasn't my first language? As it is, Americans like a British accent.

Old 03-26-2020, 11:46 PM

134 posts, read 91,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winterbeard View Post
As a European immigrant, I have never felt anything other than welcome. I often wonder if it would be different if English wasn't my first language? As it is, Americans like a British accent.
From my observation, Americans like the British, French, Italian accent (especially American girls). Americans like to laugh at the German accent but they like German cars and German quality products. Immigrants from Eastern Europe are often coldly received in the New York area by Jewish-American because they automatically suspect they are anti-Semites, which is not true. Immigrants from Eastern Europe do not like other immigrants from Eastern Europe. Generally, if a European immigrant is legal, works and does not complain too much then there is no problem with the Americans.In California Mexican-Americans, Mexicans and Latinos are friendly to Europeans.

Old 03-27-2020, 08:25 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,024,072 times
can't vouch for it but Covid is now turning the tables in a weird way so frankly I don't care. It matters how China will treat you though...

Old 03-27-2020, 08:30 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,024,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
freedom, ?

That joke about "Freedom" was hilarious before, it's 100 times funnier over the past couple of days lol.

Old 03-27-2020, 02:49 PM

2,283 posts, read 3,939,103 times
First generation American here. My family immigrated to the US in 1952 from West Germany. But my family is from Russia by way of Yugoslavia. Although I was born here, some of the natives looked at me with suspension, believing I was a Communist and loyal to the Soviet Union. Some of my friends, also first generation Americans, were treated like foreigners as well, especially those whose families were from Eastern Europe. The Germans caught a lot of crap as well. Yeah we played soccer, tennis and wore sandals, but so what.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:00 PM

855 posts, read 451,693 times
My wife is from Eastern Europe and felt the people who were least welcoming were the SF Bay Area snotty liberals.

And she has a Master's degree and speaks fluent English. But it was the rich blond bimbos who had the biggest problem with her.

Old 03-27-2020, 06:31 PM

24,580 posts, read 10,884,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticpearl View Post
My wife is from Eastern Europe and felt the people who were least welcoming were the SF Bay Area snotty liberals.

And she has a Master's degree and speaks fluent English. But it was the rich blond bimbos who had the biggest problem with her.
Some of the rich blond immigrants object to the term of bimbo. On the same level your wife does not want to be called what she was called.

Old 04-15-2020, 09:05 AM

11,054 posts, read 6,648,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
Americans famously consider and loudly expound on their opinion that the US is literally the greatest country to ever exist and that all other countries are inferior in wealth, freedom, success, beauty, etc.

And even if you think that is true, how is that not snotty and elitist when Americans travel overseas and look down on everything and complain about how "That's not how we do it in the good ol' USA!" ?
LOL. We apologized for America everywhere we went in Europe. Because you know, the international embarrassment in the WH.

Many Europeans have a higher QOL than Americans. I'm stuck in Portugal right now and loving it. We even got amnesty for overstaying which I worried about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Legal Immigration