Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:15 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times

Advertisements

We've gone to the Village Police and called Suffolk PD, but the problem is getting WORSE.

Cannot even take the children to Rocketship Playground anymore. Hubby was there 2 weeks ago and saw 10-12 kids ALL dressed in red (Bloods) hanging around the playground. He picked took the kids and got out at the same time Suffolk PD showed up to clear the gang members. From what my friends tell me, we have the Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings in the village in the evenings. Drugs are sold in the public restrooms that are right next to the tennis courts and Rocketship playground. There was a big gang fight by the ice cream shop.

My husband and I feel like we're the only PJ residents who seem to notice that this is a big problem that is only going to get worse. The lifelong "Port" residents seemed to have their heads buried in the sand, or their rear ends on the golf courses. Why we pay village police is beyond me, they can't do a damned thing. Suffolk PD has assigned one more P.O in the evenings to patrol. You'd think Suffolk Gang Unit would be on this like white on rice. Kills me to think of the crap my hubby went through working in the city for his salary and we have almost no help (unless it's to arrest) from Suffolk.

The mayor here is a joke as well. She doesn't address these issues. It's all about re-beautification and the like. These die-hard "Port" (if you are an outsider like me who moved to PJ you call it Port Jeff, the lifelongs simply call it Port--ahhhhhh, how lovely) residents only talk about, "What are we going to do about Upper Port?" Are they blind? Do they think these kids walking around in the same colors is the glee club or something? I swear, you cannot even mention the violence topic to lifelongs, it's like talking to the Stepford crew!

We're out of here. I grew up in Wantagh, lived in Stony Brook, and never once had to worry about taking my children for ice cream when I lived in these two towns. Yeah, I love the schools, but at what cost??? I'd rather mediocre schools and quality of life than this way of living. We had been considering moving south for a long time, but I was afraid of the culture change. I realize now that the culture change might be a good thing for my kids. Yes, it's a red state, not blue. But maybe it's that liberal way of thinking that has PJ in the state it is in.

Sorry about my rant, but it's not like I can talk about it with my neighbors here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2010, 02:57 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBeingAMommy View Post
We've gone to the Village Police and called Suffolk PD, but the problem is getting WORSE.

Cannot even take the children to Rocketship Playground anymore. Hubby was there 2 weeks ago and saw 10-12 kids ALL dressed in red (Bloods) hanging around the playground. He picked took the kids and got out at the same time Suffolk PD showed up to clear the gang members. From what my friends tell me, we have the Bloods, Crips and Latin Kings in the village in the evenings. Drugs are sold in the public restrooms that are right next to the tennis courts and Rocketship playground. There was a big gang fight by the ice cream shop.

My husband and I feel like we're the only PJ residents who seem to notice that this is a big problem that is only going to get worse. The lifelong "Port" residents seemed to have their heads buried in the sand, or their rear ends on the golf courses. Why we pay village police is beyond me, they can't do a damned thing. Suffolk PD has assigned one more P.O in the evenings to patrol. You'd think Suffolk Gang Unit would be on this like white on rice. Kills me to think of the crap my hubby went through working in the city for his salary and we have almost no help (unless it's to arrest) from Suffolk.

The mayor here is a joke as well. She doesn't address these issues. It's all about re-beautification and the like. These die-hard "Port" (if you are an outsider like me who moved to PJ you call it Port Jeff, the lifelongs simply call it Port--ahhhhhh, how lovely) residents only talk about, "What are we going to do about Upper Port?" Are they blind? Do they think these kids walking around in the same colors is the glee club or something? I swear, you cannot even mention the violence topic to lifelongs, it's like talking to the Stepford crew!

We're out of here. I grew up in Wantagh, lived in Stony Brook, and never once had to worry about taking my children for ice cream when I lived in these two towns. Yeah, I love the schools, but at what cost??? I'd rather mediocre schools and quality of life than this way of living. We had been considering moving south for a long time, but I was afraid of the culture change. I realize now that the culture change might be a good thing for my kids. Yes, it's a red state, not blue. But maybe it's that liberal way of thinking that has PJ in the state it is in.

Sorry about my rant, but it's not like I can talk about it with my neighbors here.
Compare crime rates in PJ to much of the south. You surely will be introduced to a culture shock, though probably not in the way you intended.....

Old 06-26-2010, 06:44 AM

1,580 posts, read 1,989,634 times
There is crime everywhere. But when you have 3 specific gangs steadily infiltrating a particular town within a 3 year period,and I have the Village Constable telling me to never go into the village past 9pm alone with my children, there is reason to panic and get the hell out. It's getting worse.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:48 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,107,338 times
There is no "Port Jefferson Village Police", there are Port Jefferson Village constables who are unarmed hence they won't be of much value. Let's face it, I wouldent go after some gangmembers if I was unarmed and only paid a part time salary either.

The Suffolk County Police won't do jack about the gang problem in Suffolk County. Never have, never will. They just want the paychecks.

Old 06-26-2010, 06:54 AM

302 posts, read 590,670 times
Quote:

And, I was even looking into possibly buying a house in PJ...

Old 06-26-2010, 07:15 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
There is crime everywhere. But when you have 3 specific gangs steadily infiltrating a particular town within a 3 year period,and I have the Village Constable telling me to never go into the village past 9pm alone with my children, there is reason to panic and get the hell out. It's getting worse.

Cmon????? Are you kidding me? I understand being safe, but geez. Go hide in your home. There is crime EVERYWHERE. Get used to it, its part of life these days. Long island isnt what it used to be, but for the most part, its safe.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:19 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,722 times
Wow, OP, you have given me my Saturday morning surprise. I am really stunned. I too thought PJ was a really nice area. To have your husband walk into that situation when out with the kids is just frightening. What a shame, as you say, that other residents are not speaking up. It's hard to think that SPD would just allow these guys, with their colors, to take over a park like that. My heart really goes out to you. Unforunately it's the least thing you need, but you have my sympathy.

Old 06-26-2010, 07:41 AM

15 posts, read 67,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
Cmon????? Are you kidding me? I understand being safe, but geez. Go hide in your home. There is crime EVERYWHERE. Get used to it, its part of life these days. Long island isnt what it used to be, but for the most part, its safe.

See, THIS is the typical long island attitude that drives me crazy! No, the crime you see on LI is NOT everywhere(well, not in that amount anyway). We moved off of the island 5 years ago to the Chicago suburbs and where we live is unbelievable. People are not the same and crime is not the same! Of course, there is crime but not as much as LI. People actually respect one another. If you leave your car open, you pocket book doesn't get stolen and if your kid leaves his bike outside, it's still there in the morning.

We miss our families terribly and often try to rationalize how we would be okay to go back, etc, but the truth is, LI has changed...for the worse. The crimes that take place there so often are not present in every other community in this country and the attitude by LI-ers of, "oh get over it. Crime is everywhere. THere is nothing different about LI..." is so aggravating. It's not the same everywhere and maybe if people started recognizing the real problems, it could get fixed. THis is my home too and it sucks that we can't come back because we don't believe it would be a good life for our children. Once people get out and live elsewhere, they realize how lacking LI is.

I couldn't agree more about Port Jeff. Growing up in Setauket, we still have lots of family in the area. WHen I take my kids there, they don't get the appeal that we all once knew. It's run down, full of trash and crime, and just depressing in general! No one should have to be scared to go out past 9pm. There are other places to live in this country that appreciate and value community. LI is not one of them.

Old 06-26-2010, 08:07 AM

456 posts, read 1,122,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Wow, OP, you have given me my Saturday morning surprise. I am really stunned. I too thought PJ was a really nice area. To have your husband walk into that situation when out with the kids is just frightening. What a shame, as you say, that other residents are not speaking up. It's hard to think that SPD would just allow these guys, with their colors, to take over a park like that. My heart really goes out to you. Unforunately it's the least thing you need, but you have my sympathy.
Yes, I always felt the same way. My parents used to take me there when I was younger to walk around, go on the playground, get icecream, and go on the ferry. We looked at a house there but it was too expensive for us to live there at the time (a few years ago you coudn't touch anything less than 625k or so...too bad, I had no idea there was a problem. It's always been beautiful as far as I've been aware.

So, where are the "safe" areas on LI? It seems like everywhere is getting bad based on these threads..

Old 06-26-2010, 08:26 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,407,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by exLI-er View Post
See, THIS is the typical long island attitude that drives me crazy! No, the crime you see on LI is NOT everywhere

Ok..stay in your fantasy land. People act as if Long Island is a war zone. I feel very safe. People on LI are just paranoid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island