Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-29-2013, 06:55 PM

332 posts, read 613,618 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Long Island was built and developed due to racism?...where did you find that gem?

Long Islands biggest point of development was right after WW2 to provide housing for returning servicemen and their families. Guess in your book they were all racists.
Levittown was whites only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2013, 07:32 PM

112 posts, read 181,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Unbelievably, when I was very young my Dad had to buy a summer home in Setauket in order to take his customers out on the boat because the Manhasset Bay Yacht Club was restricted and most of his customers were Jewish.
No one really could imagine that now, but even Jewish people were discriminated against in the 1950s here on Long Island.
Yeah.... now look

Old 03-30-2013, 05:12 AM

3,445 posts, read 6,064,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabbat hunter View Post
Levittown was whites only.
True but that was not just on long island in the 50s. Levitt put that in. Im sure the original buyers didnt move into levittown just because of that. They were primarily interested in getting housing.

Old 03-30-2013, 10:08 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nycbrooklyn View Post
Ok S.I.B if you read before you spoke you would clearly notice (middle class) was the dying bread I spoke of. Please. Please. Please read. Long Island has great schools right. I would hope you went to one of them or maybe you just missed the side point, however if you think I miss spoke how do you explain these stats in this day and age. The one on the left is the West Islip school district and to the left is the state average.

White, not Hispanic 95% 51%
Hispanic or Latino 3% 21%
Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 8%
Black, not Hispanic 0% 19%
Native American or Native Alaskan 0% 0%
Well, you could find that in NYC as well. Here's one for you, how do you explain these stats in this day and age??

NEW YORK CITY GEOGRAPHIC
DISTRICT #18
~19,000 students, Brooklyn

White, not Hispanic 1% 51%
Hispanic or Latino 7% 21%
Black, not Hispanic 91% 19%

Last edited by Pequaman; 03-30-2013 at 10:24 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 10:17 AM

3,172 posts, read 6,744,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LegalDiva View Post
People choose to live with people that are close to them in race, nationality, socio-economics, age, etc.

Hence why certain areas are predominantly dominated by 1 or more groups. Take Chinatown in NYC. Do people who live there choose Chinatown to avoid Harlem or Washington Heights, or more because THEY are also Asian and want to be closer to people that "understand" or relate to them? Why are certain north shore towns more dominated by Asians than say a south shore town like Massapequa or Freeport? Maybe because their social and family circles are in Flushing/Bayside/Glen Oaks and it is closer for them to see them than traveling from south shore towns. You see it on this board with threads like, "I am (insert race), will my family fit in if we buy a house in (insert town)?". People want to buy homes where neighbors share common backgrounds, interests and goals with them. Women in Hempstead will want to get their hair done by someone who knows how to tame Afro cuts in Hempstead over someone in Syosset or Garden City who may not have a clue.

It is all about choosing towns where you feel comfortable, and to that end, it means choosing towns where the majority of its residents look/act like you. Do I agree with it? No. I think diversity is a wonderful thing but the reality is that socio-economics largely dictate whether a particular neighborhood is "desirable" or not. On LI, the majority of wealthy/high income households tend to be dominated by "white" folks hence the visual disparity. Strangely enough, this isn't the case in other parts of the country (like say Alexandria VA or parts of Maryland which have extremely wealthy African American households in the suburbs that put wealthy towns here on LI to shame.) Why that is, I dont know. Time will tell.

I see this as a segregation issue, not a race issue. People are not born racist. Unfortunately, all it takes is a parent to impart that onto their kids, who internalize it at a young age and grow up with this mentality.
Great post ++. I think you and 30to66 pretty much nailed it.

I'll take a shot at the bolded in the 2nd to last paragraph...

It could be a combination of factors:

-NY is a big welfare/entitlement state
...combined with a larger income disparity (+higher median income) allows lower socio-economic classes to get hooked on, and stay on, govt welfare (unintended consequences= keeps them down instead of forcing them to break out)

-Minority dominated areas on LI are relatively much nicer than in VA/MD

Last edited by Pequaman; 03-30-2013 at 10:25 AM..

Old 03-30-2013, 12:47 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Okay people thanks for the reasons other than racism that lead to segregation in a community. I was too far off on one track.

Old 03-30-2013, 03:55 PM

7,810 posts, read 6,388,633 times
Is it really racist to move out of high crime areas?

Old 03-30-2013, 06:18 PM

4,829 posts, read 8,726,238 times
Is Long Island racist?

Gee, ya think?

Racist NIMBYs who try to claim they're "liberal" and "see no color" "everyone is the same". That is, until it comes to their backyard then there is a different tune being sung.... The N I M B Y anthem, loud and clear!!

Old 03-30-2013, 09:09 PM

1,775 posts, read 3,784,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post
Well, you could find that in NYC as well. Here's one for you, how do you explain these stats in this day and age??

NEW YORK CITY GEOGRAPHIC
DISTRICT #18

Agreed! And while we are on the topic of certain racial groups dominating an area/region or schools - look at Stuyvesant (the #1 Public HS in NYC) where almost 65-75% of its students are Asian. Yet, Black/Hispanic enrollment is barely 25-30% each at that school. NYC doesn't have an Asian population that dwarfs blacks/Hispanics...yet...there are the numbers for Stuy...and I am sure they aren't that different for Bronx Sci or Brooklyn Tech...hmmmm

Old 03-31-2013, 07:04 AM

863 posts, read 2,107,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pequaman View Post

NEW YORK CITY GEOGRAPHIC
DISTRICT #18

Really you're pulling up a mostly African american district to post your stats. If you have not been to Brooklyn recently take another look. A white girl in Brooklyn is safer than a black man or black woman. Please Please don't think anyone here is stupid. My comments were about areas that minorities even educated ones with well jobs do not generally move to because they may not feel welcomed, and that's blacks, Hispanics, Asians and who ever else you want to count these days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island