Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2010, 01:04 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post

Would it really be the end of the world if districts capped salaries at say 80k-85k but let the teachers keep the fat pension? Would the quality of education decrease? Would there be fewer applicants for teaching positions?
No.

Same thing with police (to an even greater extent), LIRR, etc. These kind of jobs continue to be gold standard jobs for people in this region because they are vestiges of the past in terms of comp and benefits.

However, in the same thread you have someone like Azzurrony saying it's all just tough luck that middle class private sector jobs are evaporating, that's just the way it is, it's "the free market", but as I've referenced earlier, with corps wielding the kind of power with the government they currently do, the free market is an absurd concept.

If the government actually served the people and not wealth, the situation wouldn't be like this. People who tell you that you would have bread lines if the US had a few import tariffs are just as full of it as teachers who say your kids won't be able to read or cops who say LI will be Compton if they get paid less. It's all nonsense. Things even out. If you raised tariffs on imports, a few things would be more expensive, but the average person would have more money in their pocket. Not the average CEO or Wall St guy, the average person. That's the problem.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:07 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,766,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
So sick of this old argument! This is why I teach in NYC and will never teach in Long Island. I don't have kids, but I still pay my taxes, too. Yes, I make about ten grand less, but at least I don't have to deal with you people who want to bash me and my profession ad nauseum.
if that's true (which I doubt), then that's a lousy reason.

Quote:
I'm so tired of hearing people compare education to business. Education is not supposed to be a For-Profit industry. Somehow people think that means that everyone should get paid crap. Yeah, that's a great way to get fantastic teachers. If schools were run by the business model, they'd probably ship the jobs to China, India, or Mexico where they could pay next to nothing for labor. I'm sure you'd all be so pleased with the education being provided by the folks who currently do the telephone customer service jobs.
I'm so tired of the completely unrealistic doom and gloom scenarios that so many people like to put out there. Nothing more than silly scare tactics. why can't they just admit they have a sweet deal?

Quote:
Bottom line to those of you who won't let this argument die: Just like in EVERY OTHER PROFESSION, there are some teachers who work above and beyond for their salary, and some who do just enough to keep their job.
but in most jobs, when you do "just enough to keep your job" you don't get to triple your salary over time. It's kind of a big difference.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:08 PM

217 posts, read 255,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenBo View Post
So sick of this old argument! This is why I teach in NYC and will never teach in Long Island. I don't have kids, but I still pay my taxes, too. Yes, I make about ten grand less, but at least I don't have to deal with you people who want to bash me and my profession ad nauseum.

I'm so tired of hearing people compare education to business. Education is not supposed to be a For-Profit industry. Somehow people think that means that everyone should get paid crap. Yeah, that's a great way to get fantastic teachers. If schools were run by the business model, they'd probably ship the jobs to China, India, or Mexico where they could pay next to nothing for labor. I'm sure you'd all be so pleased with the education being provided by the folks who currently do the telephone customer service jobs.

Bottom line to those of you who won't let this argument die: Just like in EVERY OTHER PROFESSION, there are some teachers who work above and beyond for their salary, and some who do just enough to keep their job.
+1 for your common sense, -2 for you missing the point.

No one here is saying teaching should be paid like crap. What you are missing is that the benefits that you get cost the taxpayers a great deal. If you received benefits commensurate with today's benefits packages, you will see how that greatly affects your total compensation. Most of us get that teaching is not a business. That doesn't give everyone in the education system a free pass to spend without any control or accountability.

Teacher's compensation (and administration) needs to be in line with historical norms of the compensation relative to everyone else. We cannot sustain taxes at this level (and ever increasing) because the teachers feel they deserve what they make because they work with kids.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:15 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,956,135 times
Why does everyone have a problem with the cops and teachers....but you don't have a problem with people like DICK Grasso and the 1,000's of CEO's that fleeced the American people out of BILLIONS.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:16 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
Why does everyone have a problem with the cops and teachers....but you don't have a problem with people like DICK Grasso and the 1,000's of CEO's that fleeced the American people out of BILLIONS.
Who says they don't? Maybe some peoples brains can only work on one subject at a time, but it really isn't that difficult.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:23 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,274,376 times
Quote:
I suspect it has something to do with resentment toward authority, among other things.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:27 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,766,297 times
Quote:
who says we don't?

Old 02-16-2010, 01:30 PM

1,615 posts, read 3,582,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I suspect it has something to do with resentment toward authority, among other things.
Bingo

+10

Old 02-16-2010, 01:40 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,709,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Perhaps it's that I can arrange my personal financial life to avoid the down cycles in the economy but I can not avoid being held up for tax money by politicians who are beholden to the police and teachers unions.

Old 02-16-2010, 01:43 PM

217 posts, read 255,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Perhaps it's that I can arrange my personal financial life to avoid the down cycles in the economy but I can not avoid being held up for tax money by politicians who are beholden to the police and teachers unions.
Bingo! +100000000000000000000000
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island