Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 06:15 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,786 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Holbrook is the poster child for bad planning. Huge housing developments, no parks. Shopping actually isn't super far but there is no neighborhood grocery store or deli.

Directly across the street from N.E. Village. is Holbrook Commons: Carlos Pizza, deli, bar, liquor store, cleaners, ect....

1/2 south is 7-11
1/2 north is 7-11 on Union
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2011, 07:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,042,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
[/b]

Directly across the street from N.E. Village. is Holbrook Commons: Carlos Pizza, deli, bar, liquor store, cleaners, ect....

1/2 south is 7-11
1/2 north is 7-11 on Union
Right, and NE village goes all the way to Furrows road, and there's a sand pit over there. You basically have one option, and you have go in and out via Patchogue Holbrook. It's not ideal to me, that's all.

I spent a lot of time in that area, many of my friends in high school lived there. The big houses in NE village are nice. The stuff on the other side of P/H road I hate.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:48 AM

195 posts, read 310,666 times
Interesting..there should be a webpage with a simple description of each town like this one mentioned above...holbrook-all residential poorly laid out.low taxes, nice homes..etc....I would expect to see little shopping in centre island or eatons neck but not in the middle of the island...i drive through 347 and think there's just too many shopping centers and that's what this island has become..more places spring up each day to spend our money..its no wonder we have none.....oh look they are building another bank..another fast food restaurant..how many do we need..when's the last time you went to a bank and tehy said...we have enough customers thanks...
I can't do most of my shopping in Kings Park but it has a nice mix of small stores and plenty of scenery and Smithtown and Commack are an easy drive so it makes it a good place to live..err...rent...I guess you do get something for your taxes huh...if you paid an extra 1000 a year you'd get a movie theater and stop n shop and a
actually..i see there' a sunvet mall. is that still open?

Quote:
Yes, we like it that way. Keeps our TAX's down. My tax's are only $6200 and never went up since I bought my house exactly 5 yrs. ago.

1/2 mile to LIE and 1/2 mile to Sunrise. I dont think I can deal with Route 25 during rush hour in Centereach/Seldan

Old 10-27-2011, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by indiana515 View Post
Interesting..there should be a webpage with a simple description of each town like this one mentioned above...holbrook-all residential poorly laid out.low taxes, nice homes..etc....I would expect to see little shopping in centre island or eatons neck but not in the middle of the island...i drive through 347 and think there's just too many shopping centers and that's what this island has become..more places spring up each day to spend our money..its no wonder we have none.....oh look they are building another bank..another fast food restaurant..how many do we need..when's the last time you went to a bank and tehy said...we have enough customers thanks...
I can't do most of my shopping in Kings Park but it has a nice mix of small stores and plenty of scenery and Smithtown and Commack are an easy drive so it makes it a good place to live..err...rent...I guess you do get something for your taxes huh...if you paid an extra 1000 a year you'd get a movie theater and stop n shop and a
actually..i see there' a sunvet mall. is that still open?
The Sun Vet Mall is like a time warp back to the mid 70's. It's pretty depressing.

I'm not going to tell you that there isn't shopping near Holbrook, but take a drive there some time and compare to Kings Park or Smithtown..it's very flat and very sterile. It's a "feel" thing that you can't experience just looking at a map.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:54 AM

20,937 posts, read 28,443,988 times
Quote:
The Sun Vet Mall is like a time warp back to the mid 70's. It's pretty depressing.

I'm not going to tell you that there isn't shopping near Holbrook, but take a drive there some time and compare to Kings Park or Smithtown..it's very flat and very sterile. It's a "feel" thing that you can't experience just looking at a map.
LOL you are right sun vet mall is very 1970's. Look at the pancake cottage..decent food with 1970's decor.

Old 10-27-2011, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubby View Post
LOL you are right sun vet mall is very 1970's. Look at the pancake cottage..decent food with 1970's decor.
The pizza place Agean, kicks butt, and Pathmark is cheap, but going there I feel like I'm transported back to when I was 5 years old sitting in the shopping cart. It has barely changed in over 30 years.

I took my kid there a few years ago on a rainy day to get pizza and go on the coin op rides..half of them were broken and the place was empty. And there isn't even the video arcade anymore (been closed for 10 years probably) where I used to spend a lot of time as a kid.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:05 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,533,786 times
Quote:
Right, and NE village goes all the way to Furrows road, and there's a sand pit over there. You basically have one option, and you have go in and out via Patchogue Holbrook. It's not ideal to me, that's all.

I spent a lot of time in that area, many of my friends in high school lived there. The big houses in NE village are nice. The stuff on the other side of P/H road I hate.
Besides NE Village and Homes off of Broadway (ONLY places I looked to buy in Holbrook), the rest of Holbrook is poorly laid out. Many NICE homes off of Grundy, Coats, ect.. however, VERY tight SMALL blocks, houses on top of each other. On SOME streets, cars can not park on both sides of the road because its so tight.

Otherwise, NE Village is great! Again, cheap tax's, many middle class public service workers, houses/landscaping are always kept up (there is always one though!, LOL)

Old 10-27-2011, 08:11 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,373 times
Quote:
Yes, we like it that way. Keeps our TAX's down. My tax's are only $6200 and never went up since I bought my house exactly 5 yrs. ago.

1/2 mile to LIE and 1/2 mile to Sunrise. I dont think I can deal with Route 25 during rush hour in Centereach/Seldan
I hear ya, location wise its great, no traffic to deal with, and shopping is pretty close by, just not that walkable.... its not such a big deal as people make it to be.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:18 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,338,373 times
Quote:

What sand pit ? You can get out on furrows from the other side, so you only have 2 options.

That Sun Vet mall is deserted, I don't know how can it be in business. Apart from 3-4 big name stores that are doing good, rest are probably in a state of flux.

Old 10-27-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
What sand pit ? You can get out on furrows from the other side, so you only have 2 options.

That Sun Vet mall is deserted, I don't know how can it be in business. Apart from 3-4 big name stores that are doing good, rest are probably in a state of flux.
What I'm saying is that there is nothing on Furrows Road over there except a tar place/sand pit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island