Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 06:55 AM

160 posts, read 317,046 times

Advertisements

Well, see, you started this debate with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taz Crazy View Post
Im getting 58.3 mbps with cablevision on my modem. what is verizon's speed?
If you want to prove the point that Verizon is inferior to Cablevision, let's look at the whole story. For whatever it's worth, most people would be perfectly happy with a stable 26Mbps..few users would ever notice a difference. I have no issues whatsoever with streaming media or anything like that. With the 25Mbps upload speed, I can send out huge files or multiple pictures in a flash. I used to cook a turkey waiting for my old Optimum to finish sending.

I will also point out that Optimum has a speed check conveniently linked on their homepage...compare those results to speedtest.net. If you used that site, your upload speed would have been checked and the results shown.

If you want to debate this, well, let's see some more supporting evidence.

Is your speed stable? I pay for 25 up/25 down. I've NEVER tested at anything less than that, in fact, it is consistently higher. I just tested again at 30 down, 28 up.

What is your upload speed?

How often does your internet and/or email server crap the bed?

How often does your picture tile (pixelate) and freeze up?

Do you have (free) DVR in every room?

It's not important, you can tap dance around the answer and come back with some less than witty response about "why do I care?" Truth is I don't. It's been obvious to me since I had it that FiOS is the superior product. I've had both, and no amount of discount or sugarcoating will ever get me to go back to them. I don't know why you're touting such a great service, when a high (advertised) download speed is your only bragging point.

It's been real. Ciao
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2011, 02:49 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,808,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
Well, see, you started this debate with this:

If you want to prove the point that Verizon is inferior to Cablevision, let's look at the whole story. For whatever it's worth, most people would be perfectly happy with a stable 26Mbps..few users would ever notice a difference. I have no issues whatsoever with streaming media or anything like that. With the 25Mbps upload speed, I can send out huge files or multiple pictures in a flash. I used to cook a turkey waiting for my old Optimum to finish sending.

I will also point out that Optimum has a speed check conveniently linked on their homepage...compare those results to speedtest.net. If you used that site, your upload speed would have been checked and the results shown.

If you want to debate this, well, let's see some more supporting evidence.

Is your speed stable? I pay for 25 up/25 down. I've NEVER tested at anything less than that, in fact, it is consistently higher. I just tested again at 30 down, 28 up.

What is your upload speed?

How often does your internet and/or email server crap the bed?

How often does your picture tile (pixelate) and freeze up?

Do you have (free) DVR in every room?

It's not important, you can tap dance around the answer and come back with some less than witty response about "why do I care?" Truth is I don't. It's been obvious to me since I had it that FiOS is the superior product. I've had both, and no amount of discount or sugarcoating will ever get me to go back to them. I don't know why you're touting such a great service, when a high (advertised) download speed is your only bragging point.

It's been real. Ciao
my internet never, ever craps out. I have a dedicated line for my internet and a dedicated line for my cable boxes. I never cared for dvr. If I miss a show, i miss it. But cable is getting multi room dvr service in a couple of month, and you dont even need a super fancy box for it. All youre going to have to do it go to a dedicated channel and the movies will be stored there, unlike verizon where its stored on the box.

You remind me of when I was a little kid with my first car: always working on it, wanting to know every nook and cranny about it, putting the best gas and parts money can buy for it. I even picked up the hottest looking women with it. what do you get knowing the infrastructure of verizon? a noble prize? Is your life that pathetic whereas you have to brag about your internet and cable service? Are you really that shallow?

Old 11-20-2011, 02:52 PM

I wasn't trying to prove verizon was better than cable. I think I justified how shady they were by advertising "HD" when they never installed it, probably on half the TVs they serviced.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:11 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,762,096 times
I've had both CV and Fios. I'd rate the overall performance of Fios better (but not significantly) compared to CV.

However, I've had more technical issues with Fios in my first 3 months with them than I had in 5+ years with CV. And yes, I experienced their notorious billing shenanigans. Regarding the DVR, while I like having the larger storage on the DVR, the CV DVR was better when it game to fast forwarding, rewinding, slow-motion, etc.

Old 11-20-2011, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I've had both CV and Fios. I'd rate the overall performance of Fios better (but not significantly) compared to CV.

However, I've had more technical issues with Fios in my first 3 months with them than I had in 5+ years with CV. And yes, I experienced their notorious billing shenanigans. Regarding the DVR, while I like having the larger storage on the DVR, the CV DVR was better when it game to fast forwarding, rewinding, slow-motion, etc.
I haven't had any issues in over a year with them. I was waiting for the billing fiasco, but it never happened to me. They lumped all my cell phones in the bill too and it makes it easier for me. The only issue I had was in the beginning, they didn't have 24 hour customer service and when I was still trying to figure out how to use things, I had to wait til Monday. They have since implemented 24 hour customer service. I just haven't needed it at all, and I love the fact that I have total control of everything online. It's been a significant upgrade for me.

And all my insect problems are solved too!

Old 11-20-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
I think I justified how shady they were by advertising "HD" when they never installed it, probably on half the TVs they serviced.
How so?

Old 11-20-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon_Byrne View Post
How so?

by telling the customers that hd was being installed on hd tvs and it wasnt.

Old 11-20-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
by telling the customers that hd was being installed on hd tvs and it wasnt.
No, no, I mean this:

Quote:
I think I justified how shady they were by advertising "HD" when they never installed it, probably on half the TVs they serviced.
How did YOU justify that assertion?

Old 11-20-2011, 05:23 PM

Quote:
I have optimum and it is very fast. I never, ever had a disconnection and downloads speeds are incredible and I dont even have thier boost package.
Cool

Quote:
Im getting 58.3 mbps with cablevision on my modem. what is verizon's speed?
Awesome

Quote:
I have the arris modem with boost. I pay a total of $156 a month, gold package, 5 boxes.
Super. Thought you didn't have Boost?

Quote:
Is your life that pathetic whereas you have to brag about your internet and cable service? Are you really that shallow?
You tell me

Last edited by Gordon_Byrne; 11-20-2011 at 06:45 PM..

Old 11-20-2011, 06:31 PM

2,630 posts, read 4,998,482 times
Yawn. Who cares? How many threads do we need for Fios customers to tell us how ecstatic they are? I've had both (and verizon DSL and time warner and Dish network) in the places I've lived. They all were arrogant, too big to fail utilities who squeezed every penny, raised prices at will and did what I paid them for, nothing more. I'm glad you like your service. I hope you like the car you drive and your pizza place, too. Not sure it needs to be a weekly thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island