Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2007, 03:22 PM
Status: " living in beautiful Charleston South Carolina" (set 5 days ago)

8,821 posts, read 21,304,107 times

Advertisements

Old Field (that is a village)
Strongs Neck (that isn't)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 03:26 PM

1,876 posts, read 2,683,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Old Field (that is a village)
Strongs Neck (that isn't)
Old Field is the real deal.

Same with Poquott.

Strongs Neck=Area

C

Old 10-16-2007, 03:30 PM
VTP

200 posts, read 958,758 times
How about

Brightwaters Farms
Deer Hills
Village of the Branch
North Brentwood
Huntington Manor

Old 10-16-2007, 03:47 PM

Location: North of the Cow Pasture and South of the Wind Turbines
856 posts, read 2,924,077 times
I never understood Huntington Heights, basically where everyone either lived parked, lobstered and clammed on the better part of Huntington Harbor. And people as they came in and built homes that make McMansions look like cottages now refer to it as Huntington Harbor as though it is a district of some kind.

Walter?

Old 10-16-2007, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTP View Post
How about

Brightwaters Farms
Deer Hills
Village of the Branch
North Brentwood
Huntington Manor
Where is Deer Hills?

Village of the Branch...good one.

C

Old 10-16-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
So far here are the real ones posted:Islandia
Lloyd Harbor
Huntington Bay
Laurel Hollow

Those are all villages, and villages in New York have their own local government and laws separate of the town they're located in....even if they don't have post offices. The other ones would just be considered neighborhoods, whether they were invented for real estate value purposes (South Setauket, North Coram) or whether they are old developments that actually may have existed prior to the hamlets they're located in (Tangiers, Manor Park). There seem to be a lot of those out east, as well as a lot of hamlets that have been absorbed into other areas which are still mapped on Google Earth and the like....Hagerman in Patchogue for example, was there as recently as the 1990 census.

Hagermans a good one...Upton too.

Upton is real...I think it only has BNL.

C

Old 10-16-2007, 04:13 PM

South Setauket

North Coram

San Remo

Scotts Beach

Tangiers

Smiths Point

E Yaphank

Manor Park

Roanoake

Islandia

South Amityville

Old Medford

Old East Northport

Hagerman

Upton

Edgewood

Crab Meadow

Pinelawn

Deer Hills

Strongs Neck

South Hauppauge

South Greenlawn

North Brentwood

The Branch

C

Old 10-16-2007, 04:39 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,520,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clamboy View Post
Hagermans a good one...Upton too.

Upton is real...I think it only has BNL.

What the hell is that Imaginary town off the Sagtikos by Deer Park RR?
It has an Industrial park

C
Upton is tricky, I'm not really sure about it. From what I can tell, it's borders were entirely what the BNL property is now....so it isn't an "inhabited area" and doesn't show up in census data like every other hamlet on LI that has a CDP attached to it. Normally I'd just say it's a vestigal hamlet that's now a part of something else (like Hagerman) but it isn't mapped as anything in the census, and I think the area is just "BNL" in the LIPA survey that Walter posted.

The imaginary town off Sagtikos is Baywood. It's a real hamlet/CDP although I seriously doubt the people that live there even know that. Post office for that area is Bay Shore, even though the Deer Park LIRR station is in it's boundaries.

Village of the Branch, Poquott and Old Field are all real villages...although Setauket and East Setauket technically DON'T exist as separate hamlets anymore!

Old 10-16-2007, 05:44 PM

240 posts, read 1,058,122 times
Lake Hills/Lakeland in Ronkonkoma

Old 10-16-2007, 05:52 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,718,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Upton is tricky, I'm not really sure about it. From what I can tell, it's borders were entirely what the BNL property is now....so it isn't an "inhabited area" and doesn't show up in census data like every other hamlet on LI that has a CDP attached to it. Normally I'd just say it's a vestigal hamlet that's now a part of something else (like Hagerman) but it isn't mapped as anything in the census, and I think the area is just "BNL" in the LIPA survey that Walter posted.
Sean, I consider the BNL to be part of the Hamlet of Yaphank, meaning that the "Upton, NY 11973" postal zone is a postal zone named after a non-existent community, serving part of the Hamlet of Yaphank in the Town of Brookhaven, Suffolk County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island