Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2014, 07:18 PM

483 posts, read 670,860 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
grilba:
No. What about the rights of any crime victim? Guns don't kill people on their own, deal with the individual who pulls the trigger. Depriving people of a viable means of self defense through a bureaucratic nightmare creates even more victims. We already have laws that address the criminal or negligent mis-use of firearms. I'm not arguing against those. The 2nd Amendment is indeed an individual civil right not related to service in a militia and applies to weapons that are in common use today.--- Heller and McDonald. "The right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed." No where in the bill of rights does it read "the right of a women to have an abortion shall not be infringed" In Roe v Wade the Supreme Court added that so called "right" under the 14th Amendment's privacy clause Perhaps that could be argued at a later date.
There are no reproductive sanctions in Arizona against women. Unless you mean taxpayer funded contraceptives? Why should taxpayers have to fund a persons lifestyle choices?
Why should I care about abortion rights if I don't have an abortion?
Oh the Luls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2014, 07:28 PM

7,511 posts, read 4,358,665 times
grilba:
Quote:
"Isn't Arizona the state with the private prisons and high incarceration rates to feed those prisons? Home of the free."
So what should we do get rid of all the prisons? They are there for a reason and those who reside there invited themselves there. What the Hell does that have to do with Arizona? I suppose there are no prisons in New York. Or is it that criminals are released back out onto the street more often in New York? As long as you don't commit any crimes you don't have to worry about going to prison now do you? Unbelievable!

Old 07-31-2014, 07:37 PM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
grilba:

So what should we do get rid of all the prisons? They are there for a reason and those who reside there invited themselves there. What the Hell does that have to do with Arizona? I suppose there are no prisons in New York. Or is it that criminals are released back out onto the street more often in New York? As long as you don't commit any crimes you don't have to worry about going to prison now do you? Unbelievable!
Whoa! Wait! That would require personal accountability. Something the left can't stand. It's always societies fault first never the individual.

Old 07-31-2014, 07:52 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Never2L8 View Post
OTOH, New York has the best consumer-protection insurance laws in the country when it comes to Medicare supplement policies for seniors. It is a "guaranteed issue" state which means that a company can never turn someone down for a policy, nor restrict their issue to specific periods of time. It is a "community rated" state which means they can't charge someone more because of their age, claims history, or health status; they can only charge according to what part of NY state you live in. When it comes to Medigap policies, seniors have more economic freedom of choice in NYS than in any other state in the country, with the exception of CT which has the same laws re: Medigaps as NY.

NY had these protections long before Obamacare was even a gleam in a politician's eye, LOL. (btw, the new ACA "protections" do not apply to Medicare-related insurance)

As far as " New York has among the strictest gun laws in the country, motorists are highly regulated, home schools are highly regulated, and cigarette taxes are the highest in the country", I personally think all of those laws are very GOOD things. And would add to that, I am happy we had one of the earliest and some of the toughest smoking bans in the country was well. And I am an indepedent by political persuasion, btw, lest anyone jump to conclusions either way, LOL
Yes.. having to get my unmodified self-diagnosis OBDII engine checked by the .gov for $150/2yrs just to see that it isn't running an code, AWESOME!

A woman being denied her ability to leave her job at 3am with a firearm to protect herself, AWESOME! (Or do you also agree with the 2nd circuit that the rape that would occur in the parking lot is "imaginary"?)

Cigarette taxes high, awesome. But we're still going to treat them for the same rates subsidized by everyone else!

Build a house on land that floods, here's $250,000 to raise it from those people who built/bought smart.

Ohh yea, you have more health care choices (didn't bother to look) WE HAVE THE #1 HIGHEST HEALTH INSURANCE COST IN THE NATION!! WOOT WOOT! #1 again!!!!! NY WINS!!!

Quote:
NEW YORK. Ranks 1st on the 2012 Health Care Policy Cost Index from the Small Business & Entrepreneurship Council. The Empire State mandates that everyone can get insurance and at the same rate regardless of risk factors. It has 52 health coverage mandates and the highest Medicaid spending per capita among the 50 states. (Photo of Empire State Building, New York City)

Old 07-31-2014, 08:26 PM

Marigold69:
Quote:
"No offense Ex but this whole "nanny state" preaching of yours gets ridiculous after awhile."
No, I take no offense but compared to Arizona, New York State is indeed a "nanny state". I've lived in both places and can make an accurate assessment of that. There is plenty of evidence to bear this out as "Recently Moved" pointed out earlier in this discussion:
Fiscal freedom: -0.471 (lowest)
Regulatory freedom: -0.90 (11th lowest)
Personal freedom: -0.191 (3rd lowest)
Net Migration (2000-2009): -8.9 percent
People and businesses are fleeing New York, just go to yahoo and type in "Exodus from New York". Here's one such article of many:
Quote:
Exodus of people from NY cost state's economy $45.6B in last decade, foundation says---www.syracuse.com/business-news
Don't know what you mean by "faux freedoms" or "Jan Brewer styled racist whack jobbery". Arizona does not take kindly to "illegal invaders" if that's what you mean. We are no means a sanctuary state such as New York. And who cares about how criminals are treated? Are you implying that New York treats it's criminals with kid gloves? The subject is oppression of those who are not committing crimes. New York's "Safe Act" is one example. Passed by a legislature and governor who publicly stated that people who do not think like him are not welcome in New York State. Since "Conservatives" of which I am one support the 2nd Amendment, this was nothing more than political retribution against those who do not think like him. It's quite obvious as criminals will not register or alter their guns or get rid of any high capacity magazines to comply. This law is designed to criminalize the otherwise lawful behavior and possessions of Cuomo's political enemies. That my friend is oppression. No different than the Obama Administration using the IRS as his private goon squad. As far as "drunk Cletus" goes, I suppose that not having access to firearms makes him a less dangerous person. Ever hear of gasoline? Knives? Electrical cords? Zip ties? Vehicles? or any other number of things that "drunk Cletus" could use to inflict death or serious bodily harm to an individual. I'm sure you've heard of O.J. Simpson. Maybe "drunk Cletus" potential victim should be allowed to arm themselves. The criminal justice system will not be able to protect them. They did a lot of good for Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman. I do agree though every place has it's positives and negatives it's just that New York has far more negatives otherwise so many people wouldn't be leaving.

Old 07-31-2014, 08:30 PM

Location: Prince Georges County, MD (formerly Long Island, NY)
1,558 posts, read 2,725,395 times

Old 07-31-2014, 09:02 PM

peconic117:
Quote:
"Whoa! Wait! That would require personal accountability. Something the left can't stand. It's always societies fault first never the individual.
Right on brother! It's always someone else's fault. Someone commits a crime with a gun it's the NRA's fault. Let's just punish those who are not responsible at least we're doing something. As Hermann Goering said: "It's better to shoot the wrong man than to not shoot at all".

Old 08-01-2014, 01:01 AM

34 posts, read 51,815 times
Yup, I should have titled this thread to ask about manhasset specifically

But seriously, how can you "not care about abortions" if you can't have an abortion? Do you not have sex with women or did you get a vasectomy? It's insulting to say "have self control" when so many MARRIED couples have accidents.

I'm pro choice bc I don't want more unwanted kids running around. But I guess social conservatives just wait a bit, then throw them in jail.

Old 08-01-2014, 05:48 AM

5,292 posts, read 4,775,033 times
Quote:
Marigold69:

Don't know what you mean by "faux freedoms" or "Jan Brewer styled racist whack jobbery". Arizona does not take kindly to "illegal invaders" if that's what you mean. We are no means a sanctuary state such as New York.
Right on, and bravo to Brewer to be one of the few with the guts to try and tackle what is becoming a major problem when the federal gov't refuses to do anything. Despite all the ridiculous allegations of 'racism' that the left likes to throw around like candy.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:07 AM

413 posts, read 599,240 times
Quote:
Marigold69:

No, I take no offense but compared to Arizona, New York State is indeed a "nanny state". I've lived in both places and can make an accurate assessment of that. There is plenty of evidence to bear this out as "Recently Moved" pointed out earlier in this discussion:
Fiscal freedom: -0.471 (lowest)
Regulatory freedom: -0.90 (11th lowest)
Personal freedom: -0.191 (3rd lowest)
Net Migration (2000-2009): -8.9 percent
People and businesses are fleeing New York, just go to yahoo and type in "Exodus from New York". Here's one such article of many:
Don't know what you mean by "faux freedoms" or "Jan Brewer styled racist whack jobbery". Arizona does not take kindly to "illegal invaders" if that's what you mean. We are no means a sanctuary state such as New York. And who cares about how criminals are treated? Are you implying that New York treats it's criminals with kid gloves? The subject is oppression of those who are not committing crimes. New York's "Safe Act" is one example. Passed by a legislature and governor who publicly stated that people who do not think like him are not welcome in New York State. Since "Conservatives" of which I am one support the 2nd Amendment, this was nothing more than political retribution against those who do not think like him. It's quite obvious as criminals will not register or alter their guns or get rid of any high capacity magazines to comply. This law is designed to criminalize the otherwise lawful behavior and possessions of Cuomo's political enemies. That my friend is oppression. No different than the Obama Administration using the IRS as his private goon squad. As far as "drunk Cletus" goes, I suppose that not having access to firearms makes him a less dangerous person. Ever hear of gasoline? Knives? Electrical cords? Zip ties? Vehicles? or any other number of things that "drunk Cletus" could use to inflict death or serious bodily harm to an individual. I'm sure you've heard of O.J. Simpson. Maybe "drunk Cletus" potential victim should be allowed to arm themselves. The criminal justice system will not be able to protect them. They did a lot of good for Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman. I do agree though every place has it's positives and negatives it's just that New York has far more negatives otherwise so many people wouldn't be leaving.
OK, excellent cherry picking.

1. I could care less about the safe act. I like guns. I don't need assault weapons. The big issue on LI that peeves me is the arrogant corruption of the handgun licensing process. Law says 6 months. Currently they are taking up to 2 years, taking people's money and finding ridiculous faults to disqualify applications. It's a flat out scam. Was going on long before the safe act though.

2. I do care about how prisoners are treated. It's a reflection on America. Those criminals get out one day. Rehabilitation matters. You can't shoot everyone. And let's be real...Brewer's main concern about prisons is all about her relationship with Corrections Corp of America. When there is no other industry, why not corner the prison market, put the lobbyists in your cabinet and count the $ that rolls in (and the campaign money). Funny but Brewer is the most vocal Washington/Obama hater with her hand regularly out for beltway dollars. KILL the ACA...but subsidize the kids insurance we had to cut for lack of $. Seems Brewer loves govt help...just not when it comes from Democrats.

3. That red herring bogus knee jerk gun rights argument "well they could use a zip tie or a tomato to kill" can be saved for some politician. FACT IS, they are statistically using GUNS to kill, not bats and knives. The OJ story? C'mon, you can do better than that...and yes it happens everywhere, including NY. We just haven't loosened the rules to favor the abuser. "OK to carry in a bar...as long as you don't drink?!" Yeah, that's a brilliant piece 'o legislation there! Great for Deadwood but likely not what the founding father's intended.

4. As much as I understand people leaving NY, there are also as many coming in. As it has always historically been.

NY is definitely a sanctuary state. America is a sanctuary country. Arizona is the isolationist extreme. I admire it in some ways, but prefer a more middle ground. If you actually wanted a "free" state you'd be better served to look at New Hampshire, but it's cold and less Mexican.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island