Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2014, 03:10 PM

24,125 posts, read 32,491,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ktroccoli View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to north shore Nassau from our home in BK heights. We picked LI bc our offices are on the west side and easier to get to than GC. A lot of the posters on these boards seem more conservative and "angry" with Long Island compared to westchester or CT. We are sort of familiar as his grparents were from Rockville centre and my grandmother lives in Locust valley.

What about the demographics of the region make it more conservative than other suburbs? Or am I reading too much into what people post on these boards? I've noticed fairly libertarian streak in these parts.

Thanks!

Some of Long Island is quintessentially suburban. Neighbors who check the length of you lawn and ensure that you lave a lush green lawn. People who compare their adult toys and cars.

And people who are bigots and "tea baggers". All of these seem to overlap.

IMO, the center of the Island and the south shore exemplify that way of thinking.

There are some liberal and "live and let live" oasises. There are also places that I'd avoid.

As to why? I'd blame the really heavy ethnicity that LI residents (in the parts that I mentioned) as opposed to other suburbs that leave the ethnic thing back i "The City" and move to the burbs to just become melting pot Americans.

There is way too much "ethnic bravado" on Long Island.

Having lived elsewhere, I do not see that as much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2014, 07:29 PM

9,173 posts, read 13,256,248 times
Default Can someone explain why Long Island seems so much more conservative compared to other suburbs?

Quote:
My husband and I are considering a move to north shore Nassau from our home in BK heights. We picked LI bc our offices are on the west side and easier to get to than GC. A lot of the posters on these boards seem more conservative and "angry" with Long Island compared to westchester or CT. We are sort of familiar as his grparents were from Rockville centre and my grandmother lives in Locust valley.

What about the demographics of the region make it more conservative than other suburbs? Or am I reading too much into what people post on these boards? I've noticed fairly libertarian streak in these parts.

Thanks!
Long Island is conservative for a suburb?

My County Executive is a Democrat and I believe most US Congressmen from Long Island are Democrats. I am sure there are far more conservative suburbs then Long Island.

Old 08-01-2014, 07:47 PM

1,015 posts, read 1,655,427 times
More liberal than the country as a whole, and in a place where Peter King is ultra-conservative, you know it is liberal.

Old 08-01-2014, 08:26 PM

483 posts, read 670,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex New Yorker View Post
grilba:

So what should we do get rid of all the prisons? They are there for a reason and those who reside there invited themselves there. What the Hell does that have to do with Arizona? I suppose there are no prisons in New York. Or is it that criminals are released back out onto the street more often in New York? As long as you don't commit any crimes you don't have to worry about going to prison now do you? Unbelievable!

Hmm, so second amendment good, but eighth amendment bad... Cruel and unusual punishment should be right up there with right to bear arms, one would think-considering private prisons are well known for paying off judges to overprosecute. But hey why get in the way of some good talking points, eh?

Old 08-02-2014, 12:31 AM

401 posts, read 945,014 times
It seems like the OP stirred the political pot. Going back to the original question, in my opinion, LI is more conservative because it is suburbia. Most families cling to the traditional values and are at somewhat in the middle class/upper middle class range. I say most because I don't want to exclude the poverty level or wealthy. The poverty level and upper class both seem to be more liberal. I have my own opinions on that, but I will keep them to myself. Many families are just busy working two jobs, trying to get by, too busy to be liberal or conservative. When posters mention oppression, I think they are referring to the heavy financial burden placed on residents. It comes in the form of rent/mortgage, taxes, energy, food, gas, etc...This does not appear on the radar of families with excess disposable income. Some people are even surprised that other people cant afford to live here. The reality is that most middle class people have to live paycheck to paycheck due to mismanagement of towns, tax assessment, energy, school districts, etc...THAT IS WHAT IS OPPRESSIVE.

I would also like to mention that you do not need to hold a particular party affiliation to be a conservative.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:00 AM

1 posts, read 2,434 times
I think it was once more conservative, but like kajimenez states, it seems to be less important than it once was especially for this area. The cost of living has increased dramatically here over the past decade or so. Most of the people with charged political opinions are simply difficult to find out here, compared to how it was imo. I think there has also been a decrease in young voters because the cost of living has been so high.

Old 08-02-2014, 04:43 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,411,528 times
Long Island is much less Conservative than in the past. Simply explained- more welfare recipients, more unemployment recipients, more permanent disability recipients, more illegal immigrants and more college aged liberals. If only home-owning taxpaying citizens were permitted to vote Long Island politics would look much different.

Old 08-03-2014, 05:15 PM

6 posts, read 7,526 times
Is the original poster serious? This has to be a joke question.

Old 08-04-2014, 02:44 PM

1,199 posts, read 2,870,641 times
Quote:
Yup, I should have titled this thread to ask about manhasset specifically

But seriously, how can you "not care about abortions" if you can't have an abortion? Do you not have sex with women or did you get a vasectomy? It's insulting to say "have self control" when so many MARRIED couples have accidents.

I'm pro choice bc I don't want more unwanted kids running around. But I guess social conservatives just wait a bit, then throw them in jail.
I can understand abortion being an option for women that are raped or face a serious health issue. However, eliminating a pregnancy just to maintain your social status? That is deeply cynical. All I can say is that Long Island is the right place for you! People value materialism and maintaining a "perfect" environment more than human life itself! You can feel it in how the rich look down upon and are paternalistic towards working and middle class people. Enjoy your little slice of hell!

So happy to be leaving! I do not share the values of the elite and I never will.

Old 08-04-2014, 03:33 PM

294 posts, read 610,293 times
Quote:

Thanks!
Yes, you are reading waaaaaay too much into things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island