Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 04:30 PM

34 posts, read 51,815 times

Advertisements

Yeah, I should have realized most internet posts are ranty by nature. Thanks for the advice to whomever gave it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2014, 10:33 PM

2,851 posts, read 3,476,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
All of those comical "analogies" you give us are examples of items and activities that have substantial non-life threatening uses and objectives in society - which is why the already exist in society. Unlike, say, guns. Or grenades. Designed to kill. Put your NRA-spectacles down and realize that the majority of Americans, ie not "the Government", not "THEM", want sensible, rational limits on weapon ownership.

Wait.. so you ignore bats, cars, knives, and other objects used to kill people as being bad examples because they are substantially used for non-threatening uses but sit and focus on that for firearms (which has a negative use-per-ownership of something like 0.03%[4.2% for automobiles, 14x higher rate of misuse]) meanwhile you continually ignore (either through ignorance of not actually taking time to look up the statistics or willful disregard of the facts) the 2,000,000-2,500,000 crimes that are stopped by personal firearms, the 1000% increase in the ability of women to stop rape and sexual assault (but yeah, its conservative states that are in the WAR ON WOMEN), or the 90% reduction in rape/sexual assault with a DARE styled program for women in a city within ONE YEAR of passing unrestricted carry laws (again, WAR ON WOMEN!!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigold69 View Post
OK, excellent cherry picking.

1. I could care less about the safe act. I like guns. I don't need assault weapons. The big issue on LI that peeves me is the arrogant corruption of the handgun licensing process. Law says 6 months. Currently they are taking up to 2 years, taking people's money and finding ridiculous faults to disqualify applications. It's a flat out scam. Was going on long before the safe act though.

2. I do care about how prisoners are treated. It's a reflection on America. Those criminals get out one day. Rehabilitation matters. You can't shoot everyone. And let's be real...Brewer's main concern about prisons is all about her relationship with Corrections Corp of America. When there is no other industry, why not corner the prison market, put the lobbyists in your cabinet and count the $ that rolls in (and the campaign money). Funny but Brewer is the most vocal Washington/Obama hater with her hand regularly out for beltway dollars. KILL the ACA...but subsidize the kids insurance we had to cut for lack of $. Seems Brewer loves govt help...just not when it comes from Democrats.

3. That red herring bogus knee jerk gun rights argument "well they could use a zip tie or a tomato to kill" can be saved for some politician. FACT IS, they are statistically using GUNS to kill, not bats and knives. The OJ story? C'mon, you can do better than that...and yes it happens everywhere, including NY. We just haven't loosened the rules to favor the abuser. "OK to carry in a bar...as long as you don't drink?!" Yeah, that's a brilliant piece 'o legislation there! Great for Deadwood but likely not what the founding father's intended.

4. As much as I understand people leaving NY, there are also as many coming in. As it has always historically been.

NY is definitely a sanctuary state. America is a sanctuary country. Arizona is the isolationist extreme. I admire it in some ways, but prefer a more middle ground. If you actually wanted a "free" state you'd be better served to look at New Hampshire, but it's cold and less Mexican.
1 & 3: You do realize that people who use guns in crimes are unable to purchase legally and the top guns used in crimes aren't even covered by ANY bans, right?

2: I don't like coddling prisoners.

The US is NOT a sanctuary nation. The US is a nation where people can come, obey the laws, and make their own way. People who illegally come here to get benefits and reap rewards without putting into the system are NOT what the US was founded on.

Last edited by SilverBulletZ06; 08-12-2014 at 10:56 PM..

Old 08-13-2014, 08:59 AM

55 posts, read 92,053 times
I recently moved from gentrified BK to the south shore, and I totally get what you're saying. Having lived here for a few months now, I would say:

1. LI is not necessarily full of angry & obnoxious people, but this particular online forum is. Don't assume that the voices/ opinions here necessarily reflect reality. My neighbors are nice, friendly people. (Well, except for one, but there's always one...)

2. There are a lot more old people out here than you find in your neck of the woods. Young people can't afford to live here, and anyway why would they want to when NYC is right over there? Older people tend to be more conservative. And crotchety.

3. Liberal elite (and I use that term fondly) communities can't exist in sprawling suburbs. They thrive in densely populated pockets like Park Slope, Berkeley, etc.

4. Long Islanders are still New Yorkers, known for a very direct approach to communication. Perhaps people on LI are just saying out loud what people in other areas are quietly voting.

All that said, in my experience so far, the politics of my neighborhood are much less important to me than I would have thought. There's not really much interaction, aside from the occasional hello how are you. That might change, but the benefits of having a yard, big kitchen, etc, are definitely outweighing the cultural shift.

Old 08-19-2014, 11:29 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,452,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktroccoli View Post
Thanks so much! Our RE agent mentioned that Manhasset was "traditionally" Catholic, but I doubt that matters much any more.

Great Neck and Roslyn are Jewish, Manhasset/Plandome is Catholic.

Oddly on Long Island you pay extra to be in a Catholic Neighborhood, Garden City, Manhasset and RVC as well as Point Lookout.

Second most rich are Jewish neighborhoods.

Third mixed think Oceanside half Jewish and half Catholic

And bottom of barrel dangerous neighborhoods like Roosvelt.

My old jewish neighbor who used to live in Atlantic Beach joked the Itallians in Inwood kept the blacks out of Inwood, and the Othrodox keep the Italians out of Lawrence leaving Atlantic Beach two lines of defense and a great town for regular jews and catholics. Then I say so Atlantic Beach is the best town, he goes no way Point lookout is the best cause they also keep us Jews out, only Catholics and Wasps over there.

Funny stuff. Guy was a bit of a bigot but still funny

Old 08-20-2014, 11:20 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,847,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyJet View Post
Great Neck and Roslyn are Jewish, Manhasset/Plandome is Catholic.

Oddly on Long Island you pay extra to be in a Catholic Neighborhood, Garden City, Manhasset and RVC as well as Point Lookout.

Second most rich are Jewish neighborhoods.

Third mixed think Oceanside half Jewish and half Catholic

And bottom of barrel dangerous neighborhoods like Roosvelt.

My old jewish neighbor who used to live in Atlantic Beach joked the Itallians in Inwood kept the blacks out of Inwood, and the Othrodox keep the Italians out of Lawrence leaving Atlantic Beach two lines of defense and a great town for regular jews and catholics. Then I say so Atlantic Beach is the best town, he goes no way Point lookout is the best cause they also keep us Jews out, only Catholics and Wasps over there.

Funny stuff. Guy was a bit of a bigot but still funny
Where have all the Protestants gone?

Old 08-20-2014, 01:44 PM

1,431 posts, read 2,482,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Where have all the Protestants gone?
Mid-Atlantic and New England (mostly Episcopalian) Protestants have become far less visible as they've become a "live and let live" social club. Catholics stand out because they're a much more activist on their issues, whereas Jewish communities stand out due to various cultural factors.

Old 08-21-2014, 08:39 PM

2,202 posts, read 4,330,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ktroccoli View Post
My husband and I are considering a move to north shore Nassau from our home in BK heights. We picked LI bc our offices are on the west side and easier to get to than GC. A lot of the posters on these boards seem more conservative and "angry" with Long Island compared to westchester or CT. We are sort of familiar as his grparents were from Rockville centre and my grandmother lives in Locust valley.

What about the demographics of the region make it more conservative than other suburbs? Or am I reading too much into what people post on these boards? I've noticed fairly libertarian streak in these parts.

Thanks!
In general, people who aspire for wealth and prosperity (usually, when it's a result of living in close proximity to excessive levels of it ... NYC & Hamptons) have a common tendency to be accusatory toward why they haven't "made it" (someone or something else is to blame). The contemporary basis for conservatism echoes these sentiments, to some extent, which is often expressed in a cohort energizing anger. Also, anger tends to be an extroverted emotion in which negative self expression is almost necessary for one to feel good about oneself.

Old 08-21-2014, 10:52 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,007,862 times
Long Island more conservative compared to other suburbs??? What r you smoking... Nassau highest prop taxes in country, . You have Tim bishop & Steve Israel are your reps to Congress ( 2 of Obamas biggest soldiers), that other nut Carolyn McCarthy as rep for 20 years in the same crusade against guns, meanwhile her district has one of the highest crime rates in Nassau/ Suffolk...a rising gang problem...

Stay away from LI, it's only going to get worse

Old 08-21-2014, 11:22 PM

401 posts, read 945,089 times
New York is basically a liberal state. However , Long Island gets to feel the real effects of liberal policy and beliefs. High taxes for everyone for what? Schools that are beyond comparison?? Excellent services?? Great utilities?? Long Island is a money trap unless you are one of the elite. People are conservative because they have rebelled against these liberal policies. No more higher taxes for schools, no more higher taxes for public services. There are lower and middle class people trying to survive day to day. They don't have the time or money to invest in the social interest that occupy the guilt stricken wealthy residents who sit on their hands and vote yes, yes, yes to every budget because they are too mindless to read the fine print.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island