Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-28-2020, 09:14 PM

23,177 posts, read 12,248,025 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetstash View Post
There's going to be a vaccine. It may not confer lifetime immunity but it will render subsequent infections at the level of the common cold or lower.

This is not some exotic virus like HIV, it's a variety of coronavirus which strains have been circulating among humans for centuries. Most people catch a strain at age 3 or younger and then get the same strain over the course of their life and each subsequent time it is a weaker reaction. The same thing will happen here.

I'm optimistic but there's never been a vaccine for a coronavirus.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:23 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,855,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
Why should mainstream Swedish society have to take actions based on a death rate coming purely from certain insular communities where Stockholm's writ doesn't run?
Fifty percent of Swedish COVID-19 deaths come from their equivalent of assisted living facilities and nursing homes. I suppose the answer to your question is that all lives are valuable to a society, even if they are not to you.

Old 05-29-2020, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
You're just dishonest. You have the gall to say I've presented no facts underneath a quote where I provided facts with references. No, they were not "estimates and predictions", they were measured numbers. It's everything you've presented that is estimates and predictions. Why are you providing a reference that would appear to be a rebuttal of my economic facts yet it talks about herd immunity and contains no economic facts at all. Dishonest.

The only thing that matters is how Swedes feel about it.
From your source:
"...preliminary flash estimate..."
From the Cambridge Dictionary:
"Preliminary adjective

Coming before a more important action or event, especially introducing or preparing for it:
Preliminary results show that the vaccine is effective, but this has to be confirmed by further medical trials.
We've decided to change the design based on our preliminary findings."
"Flash verb (COMMUNICATE)

to communicate something quickly, especially using radio or light waves:
Within moments of an event happening, the news can be flashed around the world."
"Estimate noun [ C ]

a judgment or calculation of approximately how large or how great something is:
I can only make a rough estimate (= an amount that is not exact) of how many people will attend."
Either you are really out to get people to believe things that are not true (that is what dishonesty is) or you are totally unable to understand what you see, what you read, what you write and what you link.

The only thing that matters here is what gets written here. How Swedes feel about your false statements does not matter unless they show up here to read your nonsense.

There is absolutely no measure that supports your statement that Sweden has fared better and the Forbes article only serves to show, once again, just how wrong you continue to be.

Old 05-29-2020, 05:12 AM

2,771 posts, read 4,536,878 times
Quote:
I'm optimistic but there's never been a vaccine for a coronavirus.
Has there even been a vaccine for any virus?

Old 05-29-2020, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky25 View Post
Has there even been a vaccine for any virus?
Polio. Measles. Mumps. Rubella. Hepatitis A and B. Many more, here's an article with some:

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/parents...-diseases.html

Old 05-29-2020, 05:39 AM

5,069 posts, read 3,967,536 times
Looks like the virus is drying up here on LI quite a bit faster than the Governor's phased plan allows:

Stats show dramatic drop in coronavirus cases on Long Island as reopening starts

Long Island coronavirus cases have dropped by 91% since the pandemic’s peak in April, a dramatic reversal that set the stage for this week’s long-awaited easing of social distancing restrictions, a Newsday analysis of Nassau and Suffolk data show.

Perhaps most striking, only one case or none at all were identified in 82% of Long Island's communities — areas where 57% of the region's population lives.

Some with no cases at all. The number of communities with zero cases over the course of a week has dramatically increased. At the peak of the pandemic, when Nassau identified 1,938 and Suffolk 1,569 cases, there were just 29 communities with zero cases. Now, there are 66 communities where no cases have been identified in a week. The population in zero-case communities increased from 1% of the region's residents to nearly a tenth of them.

Hot spots cooled. Some communities like Woodmere and Lawrence, virtual hot spots during the peak, experienced sharp declines since then. For the week beginning at the pandemic's peak, seven cases per day were identified on average in Woodmere and four cases per day were identified in Lawrence. For the most recent week of data, both communities had one case identified about every two days, with Woodmere posting a 91% decline and Lawrence achieving an 87% decline.

https://www.newsday.com/news/health/...ing-1.45029956

Old 05-29-2020, 05:56 AM

3,852 posts, read 4,524,145 times
Orthodox Jews still not listening I see.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:32 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
This is a picture of the New York Times headline on Sunday, May 24, 2020. This isn't fear-mongering? It preceded three or so pages of single-print listing of approximately 98,000 Covid deaths. There were no adjustments for co-morbidity. Or listing of the far greater number of asymptomatic or recovered people.
It didn't frighten me, it made me sad... we honored and grieved together for the victims of 9/11, but the 100,000 who died from Covis are discussed as though they are statistics and then it's insinuated maybe they don't count at all because after all "they had co-morbidity" and well, they would have died anyway so we just don't need to know their names.

That attitude is a stain on our nation. We've never talked about victims of mass casualties as being expendable because "oh well, they were old or sick anyway" but we do with these victims and the reason is glaringly obvious, it's so that we will all gleefully march off to our workplaces and pretend that covid-19 is a hoax

Old 05-29-2020, 06:37 AM

42,864 posts, read 26,338,151 times
Quote:
The point is that there may never be a vaccine. And there are hundreds of viruses for which there is no vaccine. So if you're going to stop living out of fear of getting struck by a virus for which there is no vaccine, then you're already as good as dead.
What is this "living in fear" nonsense coming from? I don't live in fear but I don't go around kissing strangers or sitting on barstools next to them. If you are so brave then go to a park and hug homeless people and volunteer to work on a Covid ward but don't insinuate that people who do their best to avoid contagion are "living in fear"

Old 05-29-2020, 06:42 AM

23,177 posts, read 12,248,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
From your source:
"...preliminary flash estimate..."
From the Cambridge Dictionary: <snip>

Not from my source. The words 'preliminary' or 'flash' do not appear at all. Just more of your malicious lies and obfuscation.

What my source says is this:
Recent data showed the economic slowdown in Sweden in the first three months of 2020 was less extreme than elsewhere in Europe
https://www.politico.eu/article/swed...9-light-touch/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.