Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 12:50 PM

21 posts, read 81,952 times

Advertisements

There's alarms and alarms...
Factory alarms do NOTHING... you need to get a decent alarm made by DEI that has motion and shock.. $200 you get it installed..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2008, 10:04 PM

752 posts, read 1,463,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
I would think all these cars getting the rims stolen are equipped with alarms already. Im talking 2006-2009 Nissans. No?
factory alarms will only go off if a door is opened...they dont have shock or tilt sensors. only an aftermarket alarm can give you these options like a prestige or a viper alarm. I have been installing them for 20 years. You can get them at the dealership but they will cost you about 3 times more than if you go to a reputable car audio store. They guys I work with have all been installing these alarms for 20 years+
If you press the button and your horn honks...your not covered!

Old 10-10-2008, 11:37 PM

2 posts, read 7,523 times
Wow nothin's changed. I grew up in West Islip , and in the early '70's my mom's '67 Corvette was stripped of tires, rims,etc. and left on blocks 3 times. Right in the driveway. We later found out it was someone on the block.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:51 AM

431 posts, read 1,338,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lauratocci523 View Post
Wow nothin's changed. I grew up in West Islip , and in the early '70's my mom's '67 Corvette was stripped of tires, rims,etc. and left on blocks 3 times. Right in the driveway. We later found out it was someone on the block.
Its obviously happening everywhere just not here......but I can honestly say that I haven't heard of anything like this happening around here in a really long time

Old 10-11-2008, 09:54 AM

431 posts, read 1,338,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max7418 View Post
Sue,

Were the stolen rimms aftermarket or stock?

My neighbors were stock not sure about the other cars though.....

3 within block from another all within days and when my neighbor got picked up by the rental car co they said they had just picked up another person who had the same thing done that morning....

Its been quiet lately, not that we would know if its happened anywhere else.....

also I have no idea as to what type of alarm they had or if the others did......they obviously didnt work if they did

Old 10-11-2008, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimnSue View Post
My neighbors were stock not sure about the other cars though.....

3 within block from another all within days and when my neighbor got picked up by the rental car co they said they had just picked up another person who had the same thing done that morning....

Its been quiet lately, not that we would know if its happened anywhere else.....

also I have no idea as to what type of alarm they had or if the others did......they obviously didnt work if they did
if they didnt work then they were probably factory alarms because they ovbiously didnt have shock or motion sensors.

Old 10-20-2008, 11:29 PM

14 posts, read 51,958 times
This morning I woke up to my 2 day old 2009 Maxima sitting on 4 paving stones with no wheels. These scumbags unscrewed my floodlights and the front porch light bulb to assist them in commiting their Crime. I couldnt even get my other car out without having to drive through my neighbors backyard. I live in Bay Shore and have never seen anything like this over here in over 6 years. I'm so disgusted that these *******s came and did this in the middle of the night when I was sleeping. I got home last night around 12:30am and woke up around 9:30am,went outside to get my mail and found my car sitting on freshly stolen paving stones with the dirt still on them. Apparently this has become a pattern in the neighborhood, so everyone be on the look out. I would imagine this is a small crew that drives around in the middle of the night looking for easy victims.

Old 10-21-2008, 12:48 AM

2,940 posts, read 8,324,891 times
These are the scum that are moving here. And since they seem to leave behind landscaping bricks it can be assumed they work for a landscaping & masonry company. These are the ppl that are mowing your lawns folks. Don't hire them. They are criminals!
People need to set up hidden cameras and catch these guys.

Last edited by Johninwestbury; 10-21-2008 at 01:10 AM..

Old 10-21-2008, 04:46 AM

7,800 posts, read 10,111,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johninwestbury View Post
These are the scum that are moving here. And since they seem to leave behind landscaping bricks it can be assumed they work for a landscaping & masonry company. These are the ppl that are mowing your lawns folks. Don't hire them. They are criminals!
People need to set up hidden cameras and catch these guys.
Could this possibly be a side effect of the "folks who are doing the hard work that Americans wont do"?

Thanks alot greedy business owners looking for cheap labor and low costs, your destroying our country. Its such a shame that all those who pander and support illegal immigrants are not the ones who end up having homes robbed, cars stolen, etc. Its easy to talk about how wonderful illegals are when your not the one who has to suffer from them ... look at Dave Kapell's comment's in Newsday today for a prime example.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:36 AM

Again...best way to protect your property is with an alarm...you alarm your house to keep your house safe...alarm your car to keep your car safe. It's a great deterrent...they will move on to the next car rather than chance it. You can get ones with pagers on the remote so it beeps to tell you the alarm is going off even.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island