Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2009, 05:59 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,169,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Well the whole point is that the section of West Babylon that falls into North Babylon schools isn't a very good area. And also that NB schools really aren't nearly as good as WB and Babylon.
Wasnt that the point of the thread?

Its really not town lines that drive resale values as much as school districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
nbres, did you live there or do you now? Because I did, and thankfully I moved. Yes, there are a lot of well maintained homes but I lived there and I know that appearances can be deceiving. The house 2 streets away from mine which yes Walter, was West Babylon, with a West Babylon mailing address but North Bab schools, behind Brennan was a crack house which was boarded up while I lived in the area. A car mysteriously exploded one night on my street. A person was shot less than a block away. I moved from the area this past spring, there were numerous GANG fights on the track at Brennan High School. This was confirmed to my DF and I by the Suffolk PD when they showed up (took them almost a half hour to get there for one of the fights, at which at least one was arrested). There are more and more homes in that area going into foreclosure and in the time I lived there the neighborhood got progressively worse. A house on Mount Ave was raided one night, the yellow tape was lovely to drive by.

Wyandanch, for all intents and purposes, doesn't look like a stereotypical ghetto either, there are plenty of well maintained homes there, but doesn't mean it's a safe area.
Clearly that area is no good, where did you wind up moving to?

I know some folks who ran out of the area recently too for similar reasons.

crooks

Old 01-11-2009, 08:01 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Its really not town lines that drive resale values as much as school districts.
Now, Crooks, if you had written, "It's really not village or hamlet lines that drive resale values as much as school districts", I would fully concur with that opinion.

Old 01-11-2009, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Now, Crooks, if you had written, "It's really not village or hamlet lines that drive resale values as much as school districts", I would fully concur with that opinion.

I stand corrected.

: )

crooks

Old 01-11-2009, 09:55 PM

265 posts, read 945,051 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
Does it really matter? Pretty sure everyone got what he was saying.

Old 01-11-2009, 10:14 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,678,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John9l0 View Post
Does it really matter?

If this was a social chat board, no; but, since this is a real estate forum, yes.

That's why it's important that everyone use correct geographic terminology, http://www.city-data.com/forum/new-y...-glossary.html , wouldn't you agree?

Old 01-12-2009, 02:06 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,509,213 times
Thankfully, most of these debates can be solved by the extremely large amount of information available on the internet pertaining to schools, their students, their test scores and their atmosphere.

West Babylon students eligible for free lunch: 22%
North Babylon students eligible for free lunch: 20%

The amount of "abject poverty" seems pretty comparable to me...

NY State Report Card - North Babylon UFSD (https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2007&county=SUFFOLK&district=5801 03030000 - broken link)
NY State Report Card - West Babylon UFSD (https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2007&county=SUFFOLK&district=5801 02030000 - broken link)

Not a whole lot of difference there either....both are ranked fairly low for LI, but not so low that they would be considered "bad" schools. If I had kids, which I don't, I seriously doubt I would have any worries about sending them to either district.

Old 01-12-2009, 03:28 AM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,969 times
Default A voice of reason in the wilderness speaks...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
Thankfully, most of these debates can be solved by the extremely large amount of information available on the internet pertaining to schools, their students, their test scores and their atmosphere.

NY State Report Card - North Babylon UFSD (https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2007&county=SUFFOLK&district=5801 03030000 - broken link)
NY State Report Card - West Babylon UFSD (https://www.nystart.gov/publicweb/District.do?year=2007&county=SUFFOLK&district=5801 02030000 - broken link)

Not a whole lot of difference there either....both are ranked fairly low for LI, but not so low that they would be considered "bad" schools. If I had kids, which I don't, I seriously doubt I would have any worries about sending them to either district.

I think your the first person on this board to actually look at this issue objectively. There really is not much of a difference between North Babylon and many other similar school districts such as West Babylon, Deer Park, etc...Similar test scores, etc...

Also, how anyone can consider the people of North Babylon living in abject poverty is beyond me. North Babylon has a median income on par with most other places on Long Island. Look at the Long Island index maps that Walter Greenspan provided.

Again, I will restate my question from earlier. If North Babylon schools had Academic Statistics like Commack, Kings Park or West Isllip would your feelings about this area change?

Old 01-12-2009, 05:18 AM

35 posts, read 126,012 times
Default Belmont estates

Last year I took a look at a few houses in Belmont estates the area right across from the park, I believe the street was called Genoa ct. I drove around the immediate area at the time I didn't notice anything strange, actually I was impress with how well most of the homes were well kept for a diverse area. Eventually I ended up not buying the house b/c I wanted to continue to save for a down payment. I was somewhat concern with the proximity to Wyandanch but like I said I thought the area of Belmont estates didn't look bad at all. The Realtor told me the area was zoned for N. Babylon schools. I might take another look when I am ready to buy again which would probably be this year.

Old 01-12-2009, 05:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post

Then maybe I ws wrong about where the lines were drawn.

With that information Id take a look at Lindenhurst too.

crooks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island