Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 11:11 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,345,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
There was a time when you could go from one town to another and see where one ended and the other started.

Oh yes, the SB folk wore potato sacks and held their pants up with an old electrical cord. Not nearly as upscale as the RP breathen, who actually wore shoes.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:16 AM

3 posts, read 4,326 times
Default Dfence of Dman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
BREAKING NEWS: Sound Beach man shot dead (http://www.northshoresun.com/news/news-profile.php?ID=287 - broken link)

Heres the story.
Not a good Press week in SunLand at all.
Sad...Something sounds really off.
Suicide?

Not to bust chops Dman, I know you love to kick RP in the nuts but Sound Beach is a separate town, with separate issues between Miller Place and RP....please stop trolling.The only one mentioning the RP is you.

Crooks

Its fair to conflate SB with RP (and MP for that matter). Sound Beach, having no schools of its own, has always been parsed between RP and MP. This gives the two sides of the hamlet a pseudo identity as either MP or RP. The subject shooting took place in the RP-side of SB.

Although I now live in the RP-district side of SB, I lived the first 20 years of my life in MP. SB was always viewed as an extension of its respective neighbors.

In the 70's, SB was the wrong side of the tracks (from MP) and RP was perceived as Harlem. Things have come a long way (although I'd still avoid Main Street, RP).

Old 03-23-2010, 11:22 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,309,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
You have me wondering -- how many towns actually have those?
Mine has one and it also says when the Village was established. Lots of others nearby do too.

They must be more common in Nassau County than in Suffolk County.

Old 03-23-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
Im not GPS

Not a good press week for the area but to unnecessarily drag RP into an SB story would be like someone faulting Massapequa for something going down in Amityville.

You understand...Im sure.

Crooks
Now you know how I feel sometimes!

Don't worry, this too shall pass ...

Last night I opened a birthday card from a relative who now lives out of state and she wrote in it something about how cute I looked as a little girl in my sundress and hat when I would come to Rocky Point to their summer house ...

A lot of people have very fond thoughts about RP!

Old 03-23-2010, 11:28 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
JeffS....when you say "main street, rp"..do you mean Broadway? I go there often and I don't see too much to be overly concerned about. Granted the bodega across from Gracie's restaurant was a hangout for the hombres but I don't think it was a danger. Why would you avoid that street? What is your worry?

Old 03-23-2010, 11:50 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Looks like city-data's stats say that Sound Beach has a higher median income than Rocky Point.

Massappequa to North Amityville, eh? So Rocky Point is North Amityville, in this case?

Old 03-23-2010, 12:08 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
There's definitely somewhat of a trend forming in the big leagues of Suffolk county and I also don't find it fair that talk about RP is censored here. Talking about things like problems in an area is exactly what this entire forum is based on. So people get killed and things are quietly covered up by CD.

I have absolutely no doubt that if this were happening in somewhere like Riverhead, it would be "fine" for everyone to discuss it.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:32 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyKid View Post
There's definitely somewhat of a trend forming in the big leagues of Suffolk county and I also don't find it fair that talk about RP is censored here. Talking about things like problems in an area is exactly what this entire forum is based on. So people get killed and things are quietly covered up by CD.

I have absolutely no doubt that if this were happening in somewhere like Riverhead, it would be "fine" for everyone to discuss it.
Unless it's Mastic/MB/Shirley. Then it's all fair game, bombs away. Bad things happen all over folks. And I used to live in SB, it's pretty much indistinguishable from RP. To make it seem like there's that much of a difference is absurd.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
Unless it's Mastic/MB/Shirley. Then it's all fair game, bombs away. Bad things happen all over folks. And I used to live in SB, it's pretty much indistinguishable from RP. To make it seem like there's that much of a difference is absurd.
I agree things happen all over.

I don't think it's the criticism of Rocky Point, per se, but the posting of threads simply to attempt to aggravate someone that is not acceptable.

Old 03-23-2010, 12:45 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,499 times
I just find it amusing when this stuff happens in other places it's "well what do you expect" or "only in ____ ____" But when it happens in someone else's backyard it's awfully quiet, or it gets shunted to a neighboring town which is essentially the same.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island