Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2010, 05:22 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,491,104 times

Advertisements

you really can't compare the Hollywood sign to historic national landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge and the Empire State Building, those things were built to last, the Hollywood sign was built to advertise a housing development in the area and was only meant to be temporary
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 07:06 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,390,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yamota View Post
you really can't compare the Hollywood sign to historic national landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge and the Empire State Building, those things were built to last, the Hollywood sign was built to advertise a housing development in the area and was only meant to be temporary
Then why is it one of two top landmarks that are shown when California's famous landmarks are shown?

Old 06-11-2010, 07:12 PM

2,031 posts, read 2,988,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
Then why is it one of two top landmarks that are shown when California's famous landmarks are shown?
Indeed!

Besides, so what if it was only supposed to be temporary? So was the Eiffel Tower. And it is one of the most recognizable landmarks in the world!

Old 06-11-2010, 07:21 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
Quote:
you really can't compare the Hollywood sign to historic national landmarks like the Golden Gate Bridge and the Empire State
Can and will.

Old 06-11-2010, 10:14 PM

1,213 posts, read 3,609,068 times
Quote:
And I think that's precisely what makes the Hollywood sign so fascinating, unique, and a perfect landmark for LA. A temporary real estate billboard becomes a world famous landmark; just as Los Angeles itself defied all odds in the 20th Century and went from being a dusty cow town to a cultural megalopolis, talked about in the same sentence as New York, Paris, London, and Tokyo.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Can and will.
Most definitely! That sign is one of the most famous landmarks of all time anywhere. Everyone knows that sign. There are only three landmarks on that level on the west coast and the Hollywood sign is actually oldest.

Old 06-12-2010, 10:31 AM

72 posts, read 251,838 times
I might be biased as a film person, but I love it. Always have. There is a lot of interesting history here Hollywood Sign

Old 06-12-2010, 02:02 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
After you've lived in LA a long time, does the Hollywood sign still conjure up any emotion? I think the sign is awesome. And I bet that's due to the fact that it's an image in my mind that pre-dates my earliest memory. I can't remember the first time I saw a picture of it. Probably some maze on the back of a cereal box when I was little, help Toucan Sam make it to Hollywood. I like to click around on google maps, seeing all the angles and distances I can still see the sign. It amazes me that normal people can be living their day to day lives, while seeing that sign on a daily basis. You don't have to be a millionaire to live in visual proximity to the sign.
Of course it is awesome regardless of how long you live there. It is like the sign in Reno "biggest little city in America" of something like that or the "welcome to las vegas" sign. There are some things that are just part of the landscape and really do mean something.

I think it is often referred to as Tradition!!

Nita

Old 06-12-2010, 02:05 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
SoCal you're dead on with this statement! Not only is it an LA landmark, it's also one of two very famous landmarks of California as a whole. The other being the Golden Gate Bridge. That sign is true LA and true California IMHO.
and don't forget the Rose Bowl?

I am sure we can think of many landmarks that say California.

As for those who want the sign restored to say Hollywoodland, I don't even like the sound of that, it just doesn't sound right.

Nita

Old 06-12-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and don't forget the Rose Bowl?

I am sure we can think of many landmarks that say California.

As for those who want the sign restored to say Hollywoodland, I don't even like the sound of that, it just doesn't sound right.

Nita
ok four west coast landmarks Forgot about the Rose Bowl. I too like just Hollywood rather than Hollywoodland too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles