Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 01:01 PM

615 posts, read 856,570 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcerer68 View Post
Yes...been hearing this one all my life.
Me too. *Yawns* Hurry up already!! !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2007, 01:13 PM

413 posts, read 1,846,086 times
How often do you Los Angelians feel tremors and stuff? All the times I visited I never felt anything like that. Just curious as to what it feels like.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:25 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,316,787 times
Like the old "E" rides at Disneyland!!

Old 09-11-2007, 01:27 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
How often do you Los Angelians feel tremors and stuff? All the times I visited I never felt anything like that. Just curious as to what it feels like.
Well, I am not going to try and write a text description of an earthquake. That'd be like someone describing a van Gogh on the phone... you can find out 'how often' by looking here:

USGS Earthquake Hazards Program » Map Centered at 34°N, 118°W

Old 09-11-2007, 04:56 PM

8,256 posts, read 17,353,738 times
very rarely. the only one i ever felt was a 2.0 that hit only one mile away. i was a baby during northridge. the 4.0 recently was only felt mainly in the San Fernando (where it hit), not the LA Basin. it hit early so not many felt it.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:17 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunsetCowboy View Post
According to scientists the big one really is coming soon.When LA is laid out by the quake do you think it will quickly recover for the better or will it be like new orleans.The experts say the damage will be in the 100's of billion dollars.We sometimes forget we live in such a disaster waiting to happen.

Scientist makes dire earthquake prediction - Los Angeles Times
Long story short.

If there was credible scientific data to support "a really big quake coming soon", the financial institutions and Insurance co's who specialize in Earthquake Insurance would be the first indicators.

They would non-renew most if not all of their earthquake contracts and save billions.

Old 09-11-2007, 06:40 PM

723 posts, read 2,999,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greggd View Post
Long story short.

If there was credible scientific data to support "a really big quake coming soon", the financial institutions and Insurance co's who specialize in Earthquake Insurance would be the first indicators.

They would non-renew most if not all of their earthquake contracts and save billions.
Stop being reasonable.

Didn't you hear?

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!

Old 09-11-2007, 07:09 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSparrow View Post
Stop being reasonable.

Didn't you hear?

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!
Are you serious??

I'd better go find Henny Penny so we can tell the King!!!!!

Old 09-12-2007, 05:01 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,208,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakehorror View Post
Let me tell you about February 9th, 1971. 6:01 in the morning, quiet. Cool, still somewhat dark. My mom in the bathroom down the hall from my bedroom, getting ready for work. I'm 9. I look at my windowsills in the darkness, thinking someone is jiggling the latches from outside. I slowly get the covers off and get one foot on the carpet and the rattling continues. Then WHAM! I shot down the hall as the house was rumbling along only to discover my mom was NOT in the bathroom at all! She was in my room looking for me. We passed each other in a narrow hallway without even noticing. The house sounded like it was being murdered as a low base growl that would put a car stereo to shame vibrated beneath us. My dad stood in the hall doorway over us as this went on for almost a minute. Like being on a giant speaker, literally bouncing off the floor. After a couple hours it was mostly over, it would shake off and on at times. Every now and then, it would pound out of nowhere over the next two weeks. Old, brick chimneys that didn't fall, spread out like a funnel, narrow at the roof, wide at the top. Glass everywhere driving my mom to Children's Hospital in Hollywood, where she worked. The worried look on my dad's face stays with me to this day. Felt and sounded like the end of the world. That was just a 6.6? Google Sylmar 1971

Last edited by milquetoast; 09-12-2007 at 05:11 AM..

Old 09-12-2007, 02:14 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
Let me tell you about February 9th, 1971. 6:01 in the morning, quiet. Cool, still somewhat dark. My mom in the bathroom down the hall from my bedroom, getting ready for work. I'm 9. I look at my windowsills in the darkness, thinking someone is jiggling the latches from outside. I slowly get the covers off and get one foot on the carpet and the rattling continues. Then WHAM! I shot down the hall as the house was rumbling along only to discover my mom was NOT in the bathroom at all! She was in my room looking for me. We passed each other in a narrow hallway without even noticing. The house sounded like it was being murdered as a low base growl that would put a car stereo to shame vibrated beneath us. My dad stood in the hall doorway over us as this went on for almost a minute. Like being on a giant speaker, literally bouncing off the floor. After a couple hours it was mostly over, it would shake off and on at times. Every now and then, it would pound out of nowhere over the next two weeks. Old, brick chimneys that didn't fall, spread out like a funnel, narrow at the roof, wide at the top. Glass everywhere driving my mom to Children's Hospital in Hollywood, where she worked. The worried look on my dad's face stays with me to this day. Felt and sounded like the end of the world. That was just a 6.6? Google Sylmar 1971
Exactly. I was nine too, in Canoga Park. I thought someone was trying to break through my bedroom windows. I called for my mom and we all huddled in the dark bouncing hallway.

Also, remember how warm it was that morning? Also warm the day of the 94 quake. Both quakes in the dead of winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles