Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2010, 10:13 AM

226 posts, read 560,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovehound View Post

Actually I'm not sure if you were replying to my post, but your reply gave me the idea to link it. There was no link before.

Thanks, but I was talking about the OP's link. I should have been more specific.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2010, 10:27 AM

16,806 posts, read 40,005,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBrad View Post
lol I hate when people correct my spelling. It drives me nuts
You shouldn't have told me that...

Old 08-17-2010, 10:53 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,189,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You shouldn't have told me that...
why?

Old 08-17-2010, 06:31 PM

9,197 posts, read 16,868,786 times
Boring thread! Needs a biblical-quality earthquake!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,189,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdumbgod View Post
Boring thread! Needs a biblical-quality earthquake!
like a 9.0? lol

Old 08-18-2010, 11:50 AM

30 posts, read 63,741 times
Okay... a couple of things:

1. First of all, the San Andreas fault (the fault that the OP article is referring to) is a strike-slip fault, which means that if it fires-off, the two land masses slide sideways, as opposed to the Pacific side dropping into the ocean. The upshot is that we'll all be about 30 feet closer to San Francisco.

2. While science can't forecast earthquakes, they can make reasonable, long-term predictions based on the observation of unrelieved stresses between the plates on either side of the fault. In the case of the OP article, there is approximately 10 meters (30 feet) of stress built-up along a 100+ mile section of the fault.

In addition, this section shows a pattern of large movements approximately every 150 years, and the last such movement along the southern section was in 1857 (which puts us at 153 years). The reason this is alarming is that while a magnitude 8 earthquake seems like a lot, it is far more damaging when the magnitude is spread out along 100+ miles of fault line.

When she blows, it WILL be a bad day. Here's the simulation done at Cal Tech:

YouTube - ShakeOut Earthquake Scenario Shaking Simulation

I used to own a home about 1000 yards from the San Andreas in Palmdale. I became informed on the subject only after buying it

Old 08-18-2010, 11:57 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,226,264 times
so much for full disclosure!

Old 08-18-2010, 03:09 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,413,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattSteeleLA View Post
Okay... a couple of things:

1. First of all, the San Andreas fault (the fault that the OP article is referring to) is a strike-slip fault, which means that if it fires-off, the two land masses slide sideways, as opposed to the Pacific side dropping into the ocean. The upshot is that we'll all be about 30 feet closer to San Francisco.

2. While science can't forecast earthquakes, they can make reasonable, long-term predictions based on the observation of unrelieved stresses between the plates on either side of the fault. In the case of the OP article, there is approximately 10 meters (30 feet) of stress built-up along a 100+ mile section of the fault.

In addition, this section shows a pattern of large movements approximately every 150 years, and the last such movement along the southern section was in 1857 (which puts us at 153 years). The reason this is alarming is that while a magnitude 8 earthquake seems like a lot, it is far more damaging when the magnitude is spread out along 100+ miles of fault line.

When she blows, it WILL be a bad day. Here's the simulation done at Cal Tech:

YouTube - ShakeOut Earthquake Scenario Shaking Simulation

I used to own a home about 1000 yards from the San Andreas in Palmdale. I became informed on the subject only after buying it
Fascinating but frightening video. I am curious why the force of a massive earthquake on the San Andreas fault in the Imperial valley would send it's energy north rather than south? Also there are sections of intensified shaking over the LA basin and Orange county coastal plain as well as the Santa Clarita valley from LA county into Ventura county. Is this due to liquefaction? If that scenario were to play out, it would be a devastating earthquake for San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, Los Angeles, Ventura, Santa Barbara and Kern counties.

Old 08-18-2010, 03:16 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,493,521 times
When it comes down to it there is very little we can do about a major earthquake or any other natural disaster. The older I get the less I worry about the POSSIBILITY of this type of scenario happening. I only worry about those things or situations I can actually change. One day I AM going to die, whether it be by earthquake, car accident, the 2012 End of the World prediction, or quietly in my sleep. Whatever. Until that time comes I am going to LIVE life without worrying about "could happens."

Old 08-18-2010, 05:08 PM

7,411 posts, read 10,413,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanna View Post
When it comes down to it there is very little we can do about a major earthquake or any other natural disaster. The older I get the less I worry about the POSSIBILITY of this type of scenario happening. I only worry about those things or situations I can actually change. One day I AM going to die, whether it be by earthquake, car accident, the 2012 End of the World prediction, or quietly in my sleep. Whatever. Until that time comes I am going to LIVE life without worrying about "could happens."
Good point but if I had my choice I would rather be home during a major earthquake and take my chances there than on some freeway overpass or in a high-rise downtown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles