Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2007, 10:27 PM

18 posts, read 19,562 times

Advertisements

LA is not the worst place to live as some claim here is the newest info I found looks like the midwest and Miami (which I have been to and it is true if you get away from the tourist areas) are the toilets of America.

Cleveland still poor, but not poorest big city in U.S. - Cleveland Metro News – The Latest Breaking News, Photos and Stories from The Plain Dealer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 12:05 AM

129 posts, read 663,286 times
Being born and raised on welfare in Minnesota - I continually tell people in mid rant about LA being the worst, that they should consider moving to Minneapolis, Detroit, or anyplace in the midwest

It usually shuts them up real quick

Although some are still brazen enough to make the move out of CA to the midwest - it will only be a matter of time (read: 1-3 years) before they try to claw their way back.

Old 08-29-2007, 12:11 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,463,512 times
At least the Midwest ghettos are cheap and don't cost $500k to buy a house.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:35 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,340,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monti View Post
Although some are still brazen enough to make the move out of CA to the midwest - it will only be a matter of time (read: 1-3 years) before they try to claw their way back.
Yup, this is the part they don't talk about.

Old 08-29-2007, 10:48 AM

6,459 posts, read 12,032,785 times
Quote:
Being born and raised on welfare in Minnesota - I continually tell people in mid rant about LA being the worst, that they should consider moving to Minneapolis, Detroit, or anyplace in the midwest

You ever read the Tennessee forum? The mods and everyone posting there would have you believe that the place is the second coming or something.

I've also noticed that if you post anything remotely negative about the place or god forbid ask about "employment" opportunities, the thread gets cut down immediately. Employment questions are answered by the same people over and over again, but yet EVERYONE IS SO HAPPY AND THRILLED TO BE LIVING IN TENNESSEE. How can you be happy living someplace where the majority of people are living in trailers?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:02 AM

723 posts, read 3,000,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
You ever read the Tennessee forum? The mods and everyone posting there would have you believe that the place is the second coming or something.

I've also noticed that if you post anything remotely negative about the place or god forbid ask about "employment" opportunities, the thread gets cut down immediately. Employment questions are answered by the same people over and over again, but yet EVERYONE IS SO HAPPY AND THRILLED TO BE LIVING IN TENNESSEE. How can you be happy living someplace where the majority of people are living in trailers?
Well, my biggest gripe is about the Los Angeles forum is the negativity, and lack of understanding (and lack of willingness to understand).

So, let's not be like people who don't understand and say "How can you live this way or that?" when really, maybe that's what's 'right' for them.

Ever heard of the term different strokes for different folks? Well, it applies to everyone. Some people would be happy to live in a trailer out in the country working at a less-than-glamorous job because maybe that represents less stress to them? Who knows! The majority opinion is that Tennessee IS a beautiful state. I've driven through it, and personally, it's pretty nice. But it's not for everyone. The same goes for LA. It's not for everyone. People come in here and ask how Angeleans can stand the _____ [traffic/housing/etc.] Well, we stand the ______ the same way Tennesseans stand the ______ .

Glad to see a positive thread. Can someone private message me with instructions to give the guy some big-ups?

Old 08-29-2007, 11:55 AM

67 posts, read 206,973 times
Yep, as bad as SoCal is for many people, there are just as many bad places everywhere else.

Better the devil you know, than the devil you don't.

Old 08-29-2007, 02:28 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,021,357 times
There are definitely pluses and minuses to any place one might live. Is L.A. "the" worst? For air pollution, yes. New Jersey is the worst for property taxes. Alaska is the worst for... (thinking) Cold? I mean if you want to love a place, even if it's East Bunglefreak Arkansas, you'll find stats in some area to bear out how great it is, and if you want to hate it, even if it's Paris in the springtime, you'll whine about people peeing in front of the Eiffel Tower.

No place is all good or all bad. I'm beginning to discover that really, what you "love" about a place is something indefinable that just sort of lives in your heart. And BECAUSE you love it, you find the good stats.

Likewise for a place you hate...you'll find the bad stats.

I'm guilty of this too...on both counts.

Some places just hit'cha in the right or wrong way.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:33 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,340,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
There are definitely pluses and minuses to any place one might live. Is L.A. "the" worst? For air pollution, yes. New Jersey is the worst for property taxes. Alaska is the worst for... (thinking) Cold? I mean if you want to love a place, even if it's East Bunglefreak Arkansas, you'll find stats in some area to bear out how great it is, and if you want to hate it, even if it's Paris in the springtime, you'll whine about people peeing in front of the Eiffel Tower.

No place is all good or all bad. I'm beginning to discover that really, what you "love" about a place is something indefinable that just sort of lives in your heart. And BECAUSE you love it, you find the good stats.

Likewise for a place you hate...you'll find the bad stats.

I'm guilty of this too...on both counts.

Some places just hit'cha in the right or wrong way.
I'm noticing from your posts that you seem a couple clicks happier these days. It's nice to see.

Old 08-29-2007, 03:57 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,494,722 times
I agreed to let my husband have a 2 year stint in NC. I promised I would behave and not move back to CA before the 2 years was up.

Well, it has now been over 2 years and I have started packing my bags....problem is that DH isn't quite so hasty.....he loves it here....I hate it here.

There is no place like LA in my opinion. It is "home" to me and I love it.

Dawn

Quote:

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles