Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 03:26 PM

2,720 posts, read 5,627,258 times

Advertisements

Yes! That's what I am talking about. Houston is a horrible city for pedestrians.

I can easily walk eight miles and have done that several times with ease considering I was used to doing that in Boston almost daily. I've walked in Houston weather which reached the high 90s and had loads of humidity. It was dumb but I kept myself hydrated. Walking, power walking, hiking, and cycling are my things. I need to do that at least three times a week. Being able to just get to know the city by foot is reassuring to me.

I know LA is not Boston or NYC in terms of being pedestrian friendly but I am hoping it's better than Houston which is probably the most unfriendly city toward pedestrians.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2012, 03:31 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarcelonaFan View Post
Yes! That's what I am talking about. Houston is a horrible city for pedestrians.

I can easily walk eight miles and have done that several times with ease considering I was used to doing that in Boston almost daily. I've walked in Houston weather which reached the high 90s and had loads of humidity. It was dumb but I kept myself hydrated. Walking, power walking, hiking, and cycling are my things. I need to do that at least three times a week. Being able to just get to know the city by foot is reassuring to me.

I know LA is not Boston or NYC in terms of being pedestrian friendly but I am hoping it's better than Houston which is probably the most unfriendly city toward pedestrians.
I don't have much experience in Houston but from what I've seen LA is much more pedestrian friendly. North Hollywood is definitely not the best, but it isn't terrible - probably one of the most walkable areas in the Valley.

Old 05-31-2012, 10:29 PM

5,242 posts, read 13,080,225 times
LA itself is frankly not that walkable outside of downtown or areas like Hollywood, everything is very stretched out and built on the scale of cars. It's more strip malls and parking lots instead of rows of cozy urban storefronts. It's pleasant enough in terms of weather and flatness to walk or bike around but the way that places with things to do are spaced out makes getting around a hassle.

In terms of commuting and just getting around, a 5 mile radius is I think pretty key--it lessens the effect of driving in traffic or riding buses in traffic and it's a decent distance to take public transit either for commuting or just for getting around. The problem is that a lot of stuff you will want to do, and a lot of employers, will be over 5 miles away, and then you'll start facing problems with the public transit system and start facing gridlock traffic if you're driving on the freeways.

The Metro system is ok but it really depends on how close your starting point and destination are to train stations or bus stops. The worst thing about the system is transfers, the trains and buses kind of run often enough but infrequently enough that it can really cause you headaches when you need to transfer, often you just miss your transfer and have to wait another 10 or 15 minutes for the next bus or train which really sucks when you just need to get to work. A trip that is 45 minutes on some days can easily blow up to 70 minutes or so if the transfers get messed up. If you can just get on one transit line and ride it all the way to your destination without making a transfer then you're in WAY better shape.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:31 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,246,328 times
When I became carless due to an accident which wasn't my fault I kept the insurance money for 7 mnths and decided to use public transportation. The way some LA people talk (not in this thread) you would think its the most horrible thing on earth. To my surprise I find it efficient, cheap and actually a very good system for such a big city. I live in west LA and road the system whether bus or subway all over the area at all hours. Downtown, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Watts, Long Beach, both Gettys, Pasadena, LACMA, Venice, Santa Monica, Art Walk, Liemert Park. I've caught the bus to meet friends for drinks, to go shopping, concerts at UCLA, Disney Hall and games at Staple Center. Some of my best picture threads I put on CD are from using public transportation. I find it very unusual for a lot of residents to turn their noses up on LA public transportation yet complain about traffic on a daily bases. And for angelenos who think its just poor people and 'illegal immigrants', think again. Also to think the widening of the 405 is going to make things better for drivers, think again. That has got to be the biggest waste of money imo. Maybe I'm wrong. We willl see.

Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM

Can anyone tell me if North Hollywood is safe? I found a place on Laurel Canyon in between Sherman Way and Vanowen. I will be working in Burbank which is an eight min drive from where I might be staying.

Is this a safe area or should I look elsewhere?

Old 06-01-2012, 02:52 PM

13,520 posts, read 22,134,708 times
North Hollywood Crime - Mapping L.A. - Los Angeles Times

Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
When I became carless due to an accident which wasn't my fault I kept the insurance money for 7 mnths and decided to use public transportation. The way some LA people talk (not in this thread) you would think its the most horrible thing on earth. To my surprise I find it efficient, cheap and actually a very good system for such a big city. I live in west LA and road the system whether bus or subway all over the area at all hours. Downtown, Hollywood, Silver Lake, Watts, Long Beach, both Gettys, Pasadena, LACMA, Venice, Santa Monica, Art Walk, Liemert Park. I've caught the bus to meet friends for drinks, to go shopping, concerts at UCLA, Disney Hall and games at Staple Center. Some of my best picture threads I put on CD are from using public transportation. I find it very unusual for a lot of residents to turn their noses up on LA public transportation yet complain about traffic on a daily bases. And for angelenos who think its just poor people and 'illegal immigrants', think again. Also to think the widening of the 405 is going to make things better for drivers, think again. That has got to be the biggest waste of money imo. Maybe I'm wrong. We willl see.
You're not wrong. That money should have been used towards something else, I dunno, like transit through the Sepulveda Pass. Even BRT or a dedicated lane would be better than what's available now.

Maybe they'll open the car pool lanes, realize they do nothing for congestion and re-dedicate them as Bus exclusive.... I guess I can always dream.

Old 06-03-2012, 05:25 AM

237 posts, read 668,961 times
MTA is slowly building more large scale facilities to accommodate those who wish to lock up their bike at a station. You need to research this at www-dot-mta-dot-net.

Also, the MTA is still removing more seats on trains to accommodate cyclists. LA has seen a BOOM in growing numbers of cyclists using public transit, as well as more events for cyclists. It may be wise to take your bike with you on your commutes, as you may need it for the "last mile" to work, as this "last mile" purpose is very popular among cyclists. It's not that those folks don't like to walk, but it is all about the TIME it takes to walk 2 or three miles to get to WORK and back when the alternative is a low ridership bus line that only runs every 45 minutes because your destination is a few miles from the thick of the action and major blvds. Headways for the most popular lines can be very frequent (3-5 minutes), but still saturated, even the limited service on the line can be saturated, and even when 3 buses of the same line arrive at the stop at the same time, they can all be saturated. You will need to do some weekday rush hour test runs.

Also, Metrolink (www-dot-metrolinktrains-dot-com), our regional commuter rail service, not only accommodates 2 bikes per car, but also has an entire car's lower level for bikes only (capacity of 19 bikes, I think). The are marked as BIKE CARS with a yellow placard or even have a huge wrap around the care with bike spokes. The Bike Cars are NOT on all trains, yet, but each line does have some trains with the Bike Cars.

Be aware and be prepared of few disadvantages if you use wish to take the bike with you for bus or rail trips on MTA:

1. Currently buses can only accommodate 2 bikes (that are attached to the outside front of the bus. often both spaces are taken and people have reported having to wait for not just the next bus, but more after that. It will depend upon which bus line you take. This, for some lines, is a huge gripe, but MTA is trying to figure out how to accommodate more, but it is subject to state code and approval from the PUC, and right now, there are no solutions that meet those standards and could pass regulatory scrutiny. But they are working on it (I think a 3 bike config is in testing up north, but PUC does NOT seem to like it).

2.Although MTA has removed seats on almost all trains to accommodate the increased demand of bikes on board, several people do report that during rush hours, the saturation on the trains is such that it is impossible to board the train with their bike, and they do have have to wait at least for the next train, but not very long.

3.While bike on board is growing in popularity, it does irk quite a number of non-bike passengers, so you need to be on your best behavior and occupy the space designated for bikes ONLY, and do be very thoughtful and polite and make an effort to allow people in and through. Too many RUDE bikers on the rails and this seems to be really ticking off other riders, and in LA it just takes one guy who is at his limit to punch/knife you if he thinks you are being a biker with an attitude.

There are some bus lines you do NOT want to ever take in your life. However, if you can be very specific with your destinations, we can tell you if you need to worry or not. Overall the MTA rails are safe, and Metrolink commuter rail and Amtrak Pacific Surliners are EXTREMLY safe.

Last edited by HarryKerry; 06-03-2012 at 05:35 AM..

Old 06-03-2012, 10:17 AM

Quote:
There are some bus lines you do NOT want to ever take in your life. However, if you can be very specific with your destinations, we can tell you if you need to worry or not. Overall the MTA rails are safe, and Metrolink commuter rail and Amtrak Pacific Surliners are EXTREMLY safe.
I will be biking to the Laurel Canyon Orange Line and then switching to the Red Line to go to school on Wilshire.

I just want to know if it's safe to bike there at night? I'm going to night school and won't be out until 10pm. So I'll be riding back home at 10:30-11.

I might also walk to the orange line sometimes as it will be only a half hour walk tops. I don't mind the long walk.

Just need to know how safe walking to the Laurel Canyon Orange Line is. How safe the Red Line is? And if it's ok to use at night?

Old 06-03-2012, 11:41 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,911 times
Public transit like rail, subway, and bus PLUS a bike is the key. Even the most walkable parts of the county like Downtown LA and West Hollywood are still not as walkable as people claim they are. Things are just too spread out.

Realistically, most people can casually walk maybe 4-5 blocks before they call it quit. A bike can really help you go that extra mile.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles