Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 09:30 AM

67 posts, read 199,034 times

Advertisements

Who authored the source quotes in the big blue box? They are both brilliantly written.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 11:59 AM

2,963 posts, read 5,453,938 times
Another thing people mistake is agricultural import of water versus municipal. Because of its proximity to San Bernardino mountain snow, the Inland Empire's municipal water supply is local. The Riverside water district imports only up to about 3% of its water supply when necessary. Of all SoCal its ironically the "desert" residents who aren't "stealing" anyone's water.

"Oh. I didn't know that."

Old 01-25-2013, 05:31 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,088,184 times
I have never heard someone refer to LA as the desert. Also, the mountains are only green in the winter. They are brown the rest of the year.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:12 PM

1,798 posts, read 3,022,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Rain forests are beautiful too. Let's compare LA to a rain forest.
That would be comparing it to something totally opposite. LA may not be considered the desert, but why do you think it's so nice and dry there in the first place? Answer: Because you border a desert, you just have that nice pacific to offset the heat. Not everything is a black and white issue, there are shades of grey in between. LA isn't the desert, but it shares some similarities with it. And that's a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
No.. Just no my friend. I HATE extremely hot weather. LA is not a desert thank god. I lived in 29 Palms, been to Arizona, Utah, and Vegas. It's like an uncomfortable blanket of heat covering your whole body and no way to take it off. Pool days? Cool. Other than that, HELLL NO!
Naa...I can handle it. After 40 years in this swamp, no problem. I can handle being hot, I just don't like being drenched in sweat.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:44 PM

573 posts, read 1,361,361 times
los angeles is not a desert, its not as dry, or cold in the winter. in winter nights in LA it can be 50s or 40s and in the desert it will be in the 30s below freezing.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:46 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,441,267 times
1/3 of CA is desert.
without water imports a lot of CA would look like bakersville.

Old 01-25-2013, 08:55 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,409,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You've seen yuccas in the Cucamonga Valley?
I've seen them in some surprising places. I've seen them in some dry spots (rocky, south facing, steep, etc) in the Santa Cruz Mountains. In the Northern Santa Lucias (e.g. NW Monterey County) they are prolific (those are probably some of the furthest north major collections of them near the coast). I even have a few odd clumps on my property (Santa Cruz Mountain spurs in Central San Mateo County) - I'm on typical Franciscan Formation - very thin depleted highly weathered soil, lots of outcrops of jasper / schlickensides / metamorphosed shale / schist. Natives at our place range from said yuccas, up through chaparral, Coast Live Oak and once in a while a stray Douglas Fir which I eradicate due to the fire hazard.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:24 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
In a real desert (Victorville, deep IE, Barstow, etc), the mountains there tend to be a tan, brown color.

The mountain backdrops in LA and OC are all green.
Or white - in winter.

I live in a part of LA County where I can't see the mountains - but there should be snow on them now.

Is there?

Old 01-26-2013, 12:25 AM

29,094 posts, read 26,013,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
1/3 of CA is desert.
without water imports a lot of CA would look like bakersville.
LOL!

Let's do our best to avoid such a calamity.

Old 01-26-2013, 01:05 AM

1,714 posts, read 3,852,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrier View Post
Or white - in winter.

I live in a part of LA County where I can't see the mountains - but there should be snow on them now.

Is there?
I haven't really looked these past few days. I know there was snow on the mountains north of LA County when we had that cold and rainy weather earlier this month.

Mt. Baldy/Mt. San Antonio (just barely on the SB County side) always has snow around this time, though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles