Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2013, 06:03 PM

6 posts, read 5,120 times

Advertisements

Alright, so the girlfriend and I have decided to make the move to LA from Michigan. She's a hairstylist and does plenty of spa work as well and has always wanted to live somewhere warmer, with plenty of culture. I'm looking to get a foot in the door for behind the scenes work in the entertainment industry (I know, impossible unless you know someone, not looking for naysayers and pessimists here, thanks!).

We have the option of moving and living with two of my friends that have experience working for a traveling show, and are trying to make it in the entertainment industry as well. We would all be arriving without a place to stay or work. The other option is for the girlfriend and I to live on our own. By the time we move out to LA she and I will have saved about $10,000 combined (not sure what the other two guys have).

I know it's a long shot, but I'm hoping my uncle being best friends with someone higher up at ABC/Disney will allow me to stand a chance at getting a foot in the door as a PA. I've done some shorts, local TV commercials, motion graphics, as well as other various projects at home to build up a demo reel. But I know I can't even remotely count on a position like that as there are thousands of other just like me waiting for something similar.

My dilemma is that I also want to finish up a BA in film. My grades at my community college (going for broadcasting at the moment) are good (3.8) and I just need a couple more classes for the Associates. I plan on attending a community college wherever we move (as the two classes I need are gen. ed.) within the first year of moving, then applying at Chapman with a macro stamp and an Associates.

So where do we move? If we move with the other two guys we'd be living in the NoHo/Burbank area, closer to the studios for obvious purposes. If we don't move in with them she and I could move closer to Orange, where Chapman is, but that makes for one hell of an awful commute on the off chance that I actually get that coveted PA position and acceptance to Chapman is nowhere near guaranteed. Either option is a huge risk (but that's what moving to LA is, really).

I plan on making film my focus when I arrive. Helping out on college productions and making contacts even when not at a major university in the first year, doing whatever I can to meet new people and show my eagerness to help out. I don't plan on making any money on those projects (or sleeping) at all, and I'd be willing to take just about any job (or two, fast food is not beneath me, anything that helps me not go broke in that first year is something I'll do) to increase my likelihood of surviving.

Can anyone offer any advice? Focus on school and developing connections the first couple of years there? Go for broke and head to NoHo and forget about the 4 year (abandoning the two year degree when so close is not an option)? Which is better, NoHo/Burbank/Studio City? Editing, directing, and DPing are roles I'd like to end up in for fictional TV shows, web content, and independent films.

Sorry for the long post, and how jumbled it is, but it's really a good representation of where my mind is right now, all over the place!

-Sean
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2013, 07:57 PM

23,539 posts, read 24,041,250 times
I would complete my formal education, as this really matters "down the road". Move somewhere between NoHo/Burbank and Chapman College (Downtown, Highland Park, South Pasadena, etc.)

Old 03-01-2013, 10:39 PM

378 posts, read 761,176 times
Have you considered finishing those classes where you are? You could then apply to Chapman, UCLA and other film schools in the region. You might get accepted someplace closer to where the action is. You definitely do NOT want to live in NoHo and attend Chapman. That's just one helluva yucky commute.

Old 03-03-2013, 11:07 AM

1,238 posts, read 1,830,649 times
What part of Michigan are you from? I moved from Michigan over four years ago with a college friend and we both had about 8000 saved up. I got pretty lucky and found a job within 2 weeks and my roommate started doing extra work within a month.

Living next to the big studios doesn't really matter, because chances are you won't find a job with them anyway. Most entry level production jobs come from smaller companies. And you don't necessarily need to know someone to find a job. Every gig I've had, I've found on Craigslist without the aid of a good work. If you have a contact ABC, by all means, exploit it to the fullest. Be a hard worker, know your craft, have an impressive resume, round out your school before moving (it does make a difference). You can also try your hand at placement agencies. A friend of mine moved from MI as well and got a job at Disney through the Aquent agency

If you are looking for just any job, make sure you have experience in that field, whether it be retail, food, bartending, what have you. Or LIE! Many restaurants and retail places will overlook your resume as being over qualified. They don't want to hire an employee that is always looking to move on to another job in their field and will leave at the first sign of something better.

The valley is a good place to start off looking for places to live. I'd also inquire about your friend's financial status if you do decide to move with them. Make sure you know how much they have saved up if you guys are going to be renting and signing leases on an apartment. there are a lot of places in the valley that you can find really cheap month to month terms.

Best of luck.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vary View Post
Have you considered finishing those classes where you are? You could then apply to Chapman, UCLA and other film schools in the region. You might get accepted someplace closer to where the action is. You definitely do NOT want to live in NoHo and attend Chapman. That's just one helluva yucky commute.
Yeah, the girlfriend and I have talked about waiting until I finish the Associates degree here. Both to save up some extra cash and to just be done with it before we move. That would push the move back until January. We'd both like to have about $10,000 each before moving if we wait, but that might be a bit unrealistic as it'll probably be closer to about $8,000. If we do push the move back, I'm traveling to LA in July anyway to spend a weekend with my uncle and his friend that works at ABC during San Diego Comic Con and the following week to check out the different schools in the area.

Old 03-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpeeps View Post
What part of Michigan are you from? I moved from Michigan over four years ago with a college friend and we both had about 8000 saved up. I got pretty lucky and found a job within 2 weeks and my roommate started doing extra work within a month.

Living next to the big studios doesn't really matter, because chances are you won't find a job with them anyway. Most entry level production jobs come from smaller companies. And you don't necessarily need to know someone to find a job. Every gig I've had, I've found on Craigslist without the aid of a good work. If you have a contact ABC, by all means, exploit it to the fullest. Be a hard worker, know your craft, have an impressive resume, round out your school before moving (it does make a difference). You can also try your hand at placement agencies. A friend of mine moved from MI as well and got a job at Disney through the Aquent agency

If you are looking for just any job, make sure you have experience in that field, whether it be retail, food, bartending, what have you. Or LIE! Many restaurants and retail places will overlook your resume as being over qualified. They don't want to hire an employee that is always looking to move on to another job in their field and will leave at the first sign of something better.

The valley is a good place to start off looking for places to live. I'd also inquire about your friend's financial status if you do decide to move with them. Make sure you know how much they have saved up if you guys are going to be renting and signing leases on an apartment. there are a lot of places in the valley that you can find really cheap month to month terms.

Best of luck.
We live in Bay City.

I think we've decided on living on our own, since we probably won't move with my friend in July. We'll probably be looking for a 1 bedroom studio apartment when we get there in January.

I actually just recently got a job bartending, which is what I'd like to do if I'm not in the film/tv industry, but I've also got quite a bit of retail experience. So there's always that I suppose.

The extra time here will allow me to work on other projects here as well, including 3 shorts, additional webisodes for a web series I've been developing, and the local ads/music videos/event videos I've been doing for additional income.

Thanks for the advice!

-Sean

Old 03-04-2013, 04:30 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,453,824 times
Sean, anything is possible, especially in this country (take it from a foreigner who has been here long enough).

First thing you should do, to increase your chances, change your surname to Connery!

But seriously, if you are driven and work hard, you can make it in entertainment industry, even in this job market.

Good luck!

Old 03-05-2013, 10:05 AM

13 posts, read 12,936 times
I would certainly finish school before you come if you can. $10,000 here is not a lot of money at all. Probably 1/4 of that will be needed just to rent a place (1st month plus deposit). But, I also learned the hard way when I came from WI. People don't let you rent places without a job. <--- I would think about that sentence!

My girlfriend is a hair stylist, too, for the past 8 years. She made $60k in the Madison, WI area before we moved here 5 years ago (which is good money there). You don't get an hourly wage when you work here...just warning you. She would sit at work for commission waiting for new clients to come in and some days make no money at all. She eventually became an assistant somewhere else just so she could get $300/week before going on the floor. Luckily at her salon, she made a plan with the owner to start with lower rent and work her way up as she built clients. After 3 years she still grosses under $40k - mind you her weekly chair rental is still under the standard at $150/week. After costs, etc., she's under the $20k mark. When she gets to full rent, it's $350/week. Hair Stylist jobs are damn near as tough as the entertainment industry. Most people already have their stylist and others eat up Groupon or Living Social coupons and never come back. Sad truth unfortunately.

While you're getting started in the industry, just remember you aren't the only person from out of state that decided to come today. A lot of them came yesterday, months ago and years ago. Certainly doable, but just keep that in mind. You'll likely need to browse craigslist and work for free A LOT to build your resume and make relationships.

Not trying to be a debbie downer, just trying to help you be realistic and understand what you're in for since I'm also from the Midwest. I came for the acting side of things, have been pretty successful and hold a job that pays 6-figures and I still feel like I don't have anything. Btw, I just looked up the cost of living comparison on bestplaces and LA is 83% more expensive and housing is 614% more than Bay City. It might be worth staying with your friends at first if you can.

Burbank, Studio City, Sherman Oaks and Valley Village are all good places to start. Santa Monica, Westwood, Brentwood, West Hollywood are pricey places. You'll have a commute no matter where you are, especially because you don't know where the next gig is filming. So, as long as you aren't in Orange, anywhere in LA is likely fine.

Good luck!

Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 PM

2,281 posts, read 3,035,578 times
I don't live in LA. I am not in the industry.

Having said that, relying on an uncle to get you a single PA job is hardly what i'd call a rock solid plan to get into the industry. I understand that you want to work behind the scenes, and it is not my intention to dissuade you.

There is nothing wrong with emmigrating.... if you can support yourself. However, if you are relatively stable where you are already and there is more work to be done and more skills to be learned then I would strongly consider strengthening your skill set where you are and only making the move once you have a strong/soild job offer. (PA? DA? Set design? etc?)

If you do decide to go out there, then you should fully expect to possibly fail on your first attempt(s) and still have the gumption, drive, and resources to retreat and try again.

So my suggestion: Hone your craft and start contacting people in the industry from where you are. I wouldn't move out there just yet, but $10,000 will buy you a lot of plane tickets for interviews.

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2013, 06:49 AM

6,039 posts, read 6,056,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarzanman View Post
I don't live in LA. I am not in the industry.

Having said that, relying on an uncle to get you a single PA job is hardly what i'd call a rock solid plan to get into the industry. I understand that you want to work behind the scenes, and it is not my intention to dissuade you.

There is nothing wrong with emmigrating.... if you can support yourself. However, if you are relatively stable where you are already and there is more work to be done and more skills to be learned then I would strongly consider strengthening your skill set where you are and only making the move once you have a strong/soild job offer. (PA? DA? Set design? etc?)

If you do decide to go out there, then you should fully expect to possibly fail on your first attempt(s) and still have the gumption, drive, and resources to retreat and try again.

So my suggestion: Hone your craft and start contacting people in the industry from where you are. I wouldn't move out there just yet, but $10,000 will buy you a lot of plane tickets for interviews.

Good luck!
Sorry, not great advice.

There is no way to "hone your skills" to prepare for a PA job in LA. I can tell right off the bat the OP could easily be a PA in LA. And don't bother honing your skills in other crafts thinking that will translate into "LA experience." Not to say don't still do the things you're doing...just don't expect them to mean 100% in LA. You won't be applying to DP jobs...but this is not meant as a put-down.

Nobody will wait for you to fly in for an interview for a PA position. You have to be in LA ready to start work right away. PA and other entry level jobs come and go quickly...it's not like other industries where there is a drawn out hiring process. From what you describe about yourself, getting a PA job should be pretty easy.

Also, unless there is some prior connection (relative, alumni, etc.), contacting people in the industry for informational interviews is pretty unrealistic.

I wouldn't waste time trying to find anything but entry level jobs...which I think you'd be able to do pretty easily. You cannot overstate the importance of getting a decent entry level job to boost your self esteem and confidence and willingness to stick it out. IMHO, the SECOND job often makes or breaks someone's experience in LA.

Oh and me? 15 years in LA in the biz after relocating with $10k in savings and not much else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles