Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 02:08 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,187 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Dawggy View Post
Sough Gate &Lynwood are pretty bad, Downey and whittier are a little better, but still bad. Trust me, you don't want to live in or around any of these cities.
Karen Carpenter was from Downey. Maybe some areas hold out a little huh? The first Taco Bell was also in Downey. I tell that to the drive through clerks at 3am but they don't seem to care.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2010, 10:21 AM

2 posts, read 9,817 times
**** downey ****en purrro whiteboys downey aint **** compared to lynwood lynwood is ghetto its like compton already!! Downey wishes they were ghetto lol!!!

Old 08-21-2010, 02:27 PM

56 posts, read 138,525 times
I owned a house in Downey until six years ago. Downey is a nice, safe town. It is surrounded by some not-so-nice towns, like Southgate. Driving through Southgate is like entering a different country.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 PM

3,955 posts, read 7,196,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by N-Dawggy View Post
Sough Gate &Lynwood are pretty bad, Downey and whittier are a little better, but still bad. Trust me, you don't want to live in or around any of these cities.
You can throw Huntington Park into that mix as wel.

Old 08-23-2010, 04:01 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,662,427 times
downey and whittier are nice places to live. they are way above HP,SG or LYN.

and while HP is bad, it does have some nice pockets of older historic homes. too bad they are surrounded by run down areas. again, the closer to alameda the worse it gets. these areas are just forgotten now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
You can throw Huntington Park into that mix as wel.

Old 04-09-2011, 04:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,435 times
I work in Santa Monica and I see alot of homeless people roaming all the time, it makes the place look bad. But for the most part it is a nice place to work in, but I live Hawthorne and it has parts that is bad and parts that one would say is good like going towards Manhattan Beach in the same zip code. But the truth of the matter is you will go where your income take you. Just mind your own business and keep your doors locked on your home, and cars and watch your back. Just keep it moving and do not hang or get into the reff rafft.. Watch the people you associate with and who they associate with. Misery loves company lol.

Old 04-09-2011, 05:12 PM

420 posts, read 877,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LA-dude View Post
Yeah, i live in Downey which is the next city over from South Gate and man what a difference when you cross over the 710. As a general rule, South Gate is bad mostly west of the 710 freeway. About the only nice part is called Hollydale and they aren't even in the same school district as the rest of South Gate. A lot of the Hollydale kids go to school in Downey which is way better than the LAUSD schools in the rest of South Gate. Now this isn't saying that South Gate is on par with Compton. It's not even close, it's just not somewhere i'd want to live. Anyways that's just my two cents...
And even Compton isnt as bad as when I lived in Watts during the late 70's. Lynwood and Southgate, along with Watts, Compton and Southgate, now all suffer from the same stigma because of their proximity, as South Central Los Angeles: Being stereotyped by people who have never lived there, [and living near is not the same] as ALL bad, primarily because of the Afro-American profiling perpetrated by the media, as if crime never happens anywhere else in Southern California. Sensationalism at its best.

Lately, over the last 20 years, while SouthGate and Lynwood have remained primarily latino and caucasian, Watts, Compton and South Central have shifted demographically from being predominantly Afro-American to mexican immigrant, which has brought changes socially.
The 'signature' black gang-related criminal activity has moved nortbound and eastward, leaving the news media with less interesting, latino gangs to prowl these neighborhoods.

Old 04-09-2011, 07:46 PM

13,691 posts, read 18,449,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
I was born in lynwood and lived with my parents in southgate, i was just curious, are those citys nice to live in now?
No. No. and No.

Old 12-12-2013, 05:49 AM

2 posts, read 4,527 times
lol its not bad its poorer but still safe i live in compton off rosecrans and central and I've stayed at lynwood is poor in some area and ghetto with a lil crime but not like where I'm from I've been all round L.A South Gate, Lynwood mostly the south east aren't that bad and East LA isn't even bad like that no more the areas that are bad is Watts Compton Vernon, South Central, Inglewood, South Of USC , Florence ,Maybe Mid City , And the Projects in the Jungles, Long beach on the E/S is bad also but south gate and downtown got a little crime but **** nothing

Old 12-13-2013, 10:41 PM

29,094 posts, read 26,000,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEVOW View Post
Early 80's, is it pretty "ghetto" now, i was born in saint frances hospital, my mom has pics of when we used to live there & it looked pretty nice, alot of houses with lush landscaping, nice lawns, pretty claen streets.
Both Lynwood and Southgate still have "lush landscaping, nice lawns, and pretty clean streets".

Such things, and especially in southern California, are not necessarily the indicators of a desirable neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles