Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 05:12 PM

2 posts, read 2,157 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone -
I'm a solo parent (my son is in second grade and lives with me fulltime) and am considering a job in the LA area -- Burbank, to be specific.

I'd be moving from the Seattle area where cost of living is lower (and there are no state taxes), but I love the concept of being in the sunshine/having access to fun beaches. But having never really spent significant time in LA and because I'd be moving away from all our friends to a city where we don't know anyone yet, I'm feeling a bit lost as to where to live. We will definitely visit before making any decisions but your insight would be helpful.

I don't want a long commute. I'm considering living in Burbank - looks like the schools there (at least elementary schools) have good scores for the most part.

Outside of the theme parks and the beaches, what other activities are great for kids in the LA area? And where else should I be considering living? Glendale? Pasadena? I will likely rent for now - just need a 2bd and hoping to spend under $2800/mo. Crazy though to go from owning a nice home to barely being able to afford a tiny apartment.

Thank you for your thoughtful responses in advance...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2014, 05:34 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,212,047 times
2800 is more than enough for a 2br apartment pretty much anywhere in LA. i bet you could find a decent sized house in burbank for that price (3bed/2bath with backyard). as for things to do, there's plenty. my son is much younger than yours, but here is a list of things we've done in the past month:

1. LA zoo
2. Lake Balboa
3. Travel town (large train museum)
4. watched airplanes take off from van nuys airport (burbank airport is another option)
5. hike in the hills
6. went to the grove (mall) for xmas

All these activities are free except for the zoo (but an annual pass is affordable). they are also all in the valley (except for the grove) and do not involve going the beach or amusement parks. the other thing to consider is that we did this all in the middle of winter, which has seen highs into the 80s almost everyday since thanksgiving. i'm not sure how the weather has been in seattle in the last couple of months, but i'd imagine you can't wears shorts and flip flops this time of year.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,489,582 times
I think Burbank would be a nice place to live . I don't live there but have been living pretty close to there for a few years so I have spent time there .

Glendale and Pasadena are nice with Pasadena being the better option in my opinion , especially with a kid it seems .

Burbank is very family friendly .

There is a lot to do in LA for sure suggestions above are great and there are all kinds of museums as well .
P
For rent budget I think you should be fine in most areas .

I guess you must be really sick of Seattle weather to leave behind a nice home you own and friends ,etc

Old 01-22-2014, 09:46 PM

4,483 posts, read 9,301,204 times
Some of Pasadena's schools are okay, some are not. As in most places, the areas with the better schools are the most expensive. Burbank has good schools, is less expensive, and would be closer to your job. Find a place in Burbank.

I have a first-grade relative in the area. Two of his favorite places are Kidspace and the Long Beach Aquarium (he has an annual pass). You can also take him hiking, if that's something you enjoy. A lot of kids play sports, just like anywhere else.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:51 PM

23,575 posts, read 24,102,669 times
La Crescenta (close to Burbank) is another option to look at. Good schools, safe and a bit more secluded than Burbank (in the hills).

Old 01-23-2014, 02:56 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,392,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haute_cocoa View Post
Hi everyone -
I'm a solo parent (my son is in second grade and lives with me fulltime) and am considering a job in the LA area -- Burbank, to be specific.

I'd be moving from the Seattle area where cost of living is lower (and there are no state taxes), but I love the concept of being in the sunshine/having access to fun beaches. But having never really spent significant time in LA and because I'd be moving away from all our friends to a city where we don't know anyone yet, I'm feeling a bit lost as to where to live. We will definitely visit before making any decisions but your insight would be helpful.

I don't want a long commute. I'm considering living in Burbank - looks like the schools there (at least elementary schools) have good scores for the most part.

Outside of the theme parks and the beaches, what other activities are great for kids in the LA area? And where else should I be considering living? Glendale? Pasadena? I will likely rent for now - just need a 2bd and hoping to spend under $2800/mo. Crazy though to go from owning a nice home to barely being able to afford a tiny apartment.

Thank you for your thoughtful responses in advance...
Where is your family? Does your child have any grandparents? Aunts, uncles, cousins? Would moving remove you and your child from whatever support system you have?

Being a single parent is tough enough. Contemplating a move to a place where you have no network of support seems ill advised, regardless of where you plan to move.

And LA doesn't rank high on anyone's list for being a particularly good place to raise a family, under the best of circumstances.

Old 01-23-2014, 03:45 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,154,207 times
I don't buy that LA isn't a good place to raise a family. Why do people continue to say that? I was raised here, wasn't rich by any means and had a blast. My childhood couldn't have been more awesome and stimulating.

I'm currently raising my daughter here as well and I wouldn't have it any other way. LAUSD schools are underrated. As long as you're involved in your child's education, they'll be fine. My parents were very involved and I can proudly say that I'm a succesful product of LAUSD.

Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 PM

4,088 posts, read 4,392,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Illusive Man View Post
I don't buy that LA isn't a good place to raise a family. Why do people continue to say that? I was raised here, wasn't rich by any means and had a blast. My childhood couldn't have been more awesome and stimulating.

I'm currently raising my daughter here as well and I wouldn't have it any other way. LAUSD schools are underrated. As long as you're involved in your child's education, they'll be fine. My parents were very involved and I can proudly say that I'm a succesful product of LAUSD.
Don't get me wrong- I love LA! But if I were a single parent with a four year old in tow, I'd think twice about moving here, or anyplace else where I didn't know anybody and couldn't count on anyone for help.

Google "best places to raise a family". You won't find the LA area high on any list. It's not DREADFUL, for the most part. It just scores relatively poorly on 100 or so criteria used to score factors conducive to successfully raising a family. It's not to pick on LA. There are worse places- much worse. Look at the "10 best" lists from Parenting Magazine, etc. No huge city ranks very high- the preferences are toward smaller, affluent, low-stress places with clean air and water, good schools, low crime, access to healthcare, etc.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:09 PM

1,830 posts, read 2,154,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurbie View Post
Don't get me wrong- I love LA! But if I were a single parent with a four year old in tow, I'd think twice about moving here, or anyplace else where I didn't know anybody and couldn't count on anyone for help.

Google "best places to raise a family". You won't find the LA area high on any list. It's not DREADFUL, for the most part. It just scores relatively poorly on 100 or so criteria used to score factors conducive to successfully raising a family. It's not to pick on LA. There are worse places- much worse. Look at the "10 best" lists from Parenting Magazine, etc. No huge city ranks very high- the preferences are toward smaller, affluent, low-stress places with clean air and water, good schools, low crime, access to healthcare, etc.
I never take those lists seriously. Most of the "family friendly places" are in some lame suburb. That's just not me and what I want my family exposed to. I want my daughter exposed to a city like LA how I was. The energy and uniqueness that I can't find elsewhere.

Shoot, I was exposed to this place and I turned out just fine. Am I perfect? Of course not, but I wouldn't trade my childhood in LA for anything. There's a reason I love this place so much and a lot of it comes from my experiences growing up. I don't envy my cousins who grew up in the suburbs in the OC, still live at home, have never been on a bus or train, haven't eaten iranian food in westwood nor shopped in the alleyways in downtown, or eaten a street dog, or played baseball with kids of various backgrounds.

**** those lists. LA is home.

Old 01-23-2014, 08:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,157 times
Thanks for all the replies. To the person suggesting I'm not considering my son's network, mind your own. You have no idea what our situation is, why would you jump to such a conclusion and then offer nothing remotely insightful? Rude.
Sincerely appreciate everyone else's input. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles