Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2017, 01:28 AM

216 posts, read 201,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Kind of a moot thread now that the OP has become a "Not a member" since Feb. 1st. Or, he will probably come back as a new member with similar posts under a new name and new join date of Feb 2017.
Not surprised. He sounded like a flake and used very poor grammar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2017, 01:32 AM

1,927 posts, read 1,902,712 times
Try hiring the Nation of Islam to guard your film set. Other films have done so: Tupac Shakur: Nation of Islam's Hollywood Connection

I'm guessing the Nation of Islam might be a wise choice because they're respected by all factions in the ghetto, and are seen as "above" the gang wars, rather than as participants in the gang wars. Whereas if you hire the Crips, you'll **** off the Bloods, and visa versa.

Now, I've never dealt with the Nation of Islam, so I don't know any of this for sure. But if you approach them respectfully, and say you'd like to make a respectful film set in "the community," and that you're eager for their advice and input, they might be willing to act as paid bodyguards.

Old 02-11-2017, 12:54 PM

8,011 posts, read 8,212,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX Star View Post
You seem obsessed with former members returning. Are you paranoid, a whiney jerkoff, have no life, or all of the above.

An idea from me to you....Bugger off and mind your own like a good boy.

Have a nice day!
Didn't know the the OP needed someone to ride in on a white horse and save him from some online criticism. He's a big boy, he can fight his own battles.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:35 PM

4 posts, read 3,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnojr View Post
On the 405 right around Crenshaw a buddies wife asked if we could stop to use the restroom. I raised him on the CB and let him explain to her why that might not be a good idea.
BS. That part of Crenshaw is nowhere near the "hood", not even close . It's in Torrance, not far from the South Bay Galleria. People not from the area see "Crenshaw" and get "scurred" because they heard the name from a rap video, not realizing Crenshaw Blvd. is like a 30-mile long road that passes through everything from wealthy to working class neighborhoods, industrial, and commercial areas.

Old 02-11-2017, 09:52 PM

4 posts, read 3,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bert_from_back_East View Post
A black guy sitting in the backseat of the car stopped next to me also had his window rolled down, and he decided it would be a good idea to hock a loogie at me, completely unprovoked.

Now, mind you, I wasn't starring at him, or even looking in his direction. Therefore, I have concluded that it was an act of overt racism, and there's really no other explanation.
No other explanation than racism? If the guy that hocked a loogie at you was white, what then would be an explanation? That he was out of his mind or mentally ill, perhaps?

Old 02-12-2017, 09:33 AM

25,556 posts, read 23,986,996 times
Anyone who is doing a documentary would contact community organizations, like schools, churches, non profits and ask those people if they could interview them or film them. Once you make contact with those people and gain their trust, then you can meet other people.

A filmmaker would need to build up their network in the community first.

I don't think the OP is necessarily a flake, I think he is the independent film company and he thought this is a good idea to build his name as a filmmaker. Which it probably is, but you just don't run up to someone on the street and film them either.

And speak to a lawyer. If you want distribution for your project you'll need release forms for everyone filmed.

You'll need to register your project with the Copyright office. www.copyright.gov as you will need to prove you own the intellectual property.

Old 02-13-2017, 01:34 AM

5 posts, read 2,969 times
Well, coming from an African American, I'll say you'll stand out like a sore thumb first of all. Just the fact you come to a place like this to ask if you'll be safe made you stand out to me already! lol

First thing you need to be aware of is that Compton is still a gang-controlled city. Even when African American's who "might" be confused with gang affiliation get's the word out that they'll be visiting so that it is "known" that they'll be there.

First thing you need to do in Compton is NOT just film people randomly. That for you (or anyone for that matter) would not be safe.
Secondly, do what the other posted said, introduce yourself "around" saying that you are a film student filming "life in L.A." and speak to any, and everyone so that can see that you are "safe" and not some government plant (city, state, federal or otherwise).
Third, once you've introduced and been introduced "around" word will begin to come back to you that "you're a good guy". They won't use those words, but you'll know that you're ok when they know they have nothing to fear.

One of the things that anger gang members is people coming into their community trying to cause problems or stir up trouble. Remember, they live there as well as their children, parents and friends.

Also, there are new sub-divisions in Compton that are nice, more expensive that other areas in compton, but you'll find the college graduates, working class people, and even local politicians that live in those areas. I know a few of them and they enjoy these new areas very much.

Good luck on your project. I'm a script writer so I know how it is trying to get into those areas and get good footage. Just remember the rules.

SS

Old 02-13-2017, 08:09 AM

266 posts, read 271,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
Kind of a moot thread now that the OP has become a "Not a member" since Feb. 1st. Or, he will probably come back as a new member with similar posts under a new name and new join date of Feb 2017.
Maybe filming in Compton didn't go so well then.....

Old 02-13-2017, 09:09 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,472,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeekingSiblings View Post
Well, coming from an African American, I'll say you'll stand out like a sore thumb first of all. Just the fact you come to a place like this to ask if you'll be safe made you stand out to me already! lol

First thing you need to be aware of is that Compton is still a gang-controlled city. Even when African American's who "might" be confused with gang affiliation get's the word out that they'll be visiting so that it is "known" that they'll be there.

First thing you need to do in Compton is NOT just film people randomly. That for you (or anyone for that matter) would not be safe.
Secondly, do what the other posted said, introduce yourself "around" saying that you are a film student filming "life in L.A." and speak to any, and everyone so that can see that you are "safe" and not some government plant (city, state, federal or otherwise).
Third, once you've introduced and been introduced "around" word will begin to come back to you that "you're a good guy". They won't use those words, but you'll know that you're ok when they know they have nothing to fear.

One of the things that anger gang members is people coming into their community trying to cause problems or stir up trouble. Remember, they live there as well as their children, parents and friends.

Also, there are new sub-divisions in Compton that are nice, more expensive that other areas in compton, but you'll find the college graduates, working class people, and even local politicians that live in those areas. I know a few of them and they enjoy these new areas very much.

Good luck on your project. I'm a script writer so I know how it is trying to get into those areas and get good footage. Just remember the rules.

SS
They live there when they aren't living in jail . I guess even gang bangers want their privacy .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles