Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2017, 03:59 PM

37 posts, read 35,460 times

Advertisements

I work for a independent film company so our budget isn't gonna involve million dollar cameras.Their be no crew,its just gonna be me,my car and iphones/cameras. We are working on a documentary of neighborhoods in america from real bad to real good.We are in the westcoast and I have to take pictures and film the neighborhood in some of la's rough areas.But I admit i am scared!!Will I be able to succeed?Or maybe tell the film company im not comfortable and prefer a different project?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2017, 05:52 PM

1,298 posts, read 1,821,998 times
Maybe pass on this. It would be difficult to engage people if you're nervous as it would probably show.
If there's no way to have someone with you I believe the better part of valor maybe to request a different assignment.
This does sound like a very interesting gig though!

Old 01-29-2017, 05:56 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,871,284 times
Sure, as long as you're fly, for a white guy.

Old 01-29-2017, 11:29 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,443,353 times
Is there money in the budget for a bodyguard ?

Old 01-30-2017, 01:37 AM

672 posts, read 2,174,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteranderson12 View Post
I work for a independent film company so our budget isn't gonna involve million dollar cameras.Their be no crew,its just gonna be me,my car and iphones/cameras. We are working on a documentary of neighborhoods in america from real bad to real good.We are in the westcoast and I have to take pictures and film the neighborhood in some of la's rough areas.But I admit i am scared!!Will I be able to succeed?Or maybe tell the film company im not comfortable and prefer a different project?
Most people are just trying to get by and live their own lives. Most people, if you catch them at a convenient time, and kind and helpful, or, if you catch them when they are busy, are polite but not interested.

Even in the "worst" neighborhoods, crime is pretty rare. So it is all about the odds. Crime is some neighborhoods are way more common, but, probably won't happen to you on any given day.

But if you are filming in bad neighborhood just so you can say "hey look at these people, their neighborhood is garbage", then *you* are the person being horrible. They have more to fear from you than you from them.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:12 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Peter, let's be honest you are the independent film company right?

You're a guy by yourself trying to do some filming, there is no real company?

Well even Steven Spielberg started off small.

Think about it, if some random person started filming you whether it be Encino or South Central how do you think people will react? We live in a society today where there is such a lack of privacy to begin with, you think filming people without their permission is going to fly?

The only thing you might be able to do is COMMUNICATE to people what you're doing, and don't say "Hi, I am here filming bad neighborhoods in LA(this is their home)", you could say you're a film student from out of state(clearly you are), and you're doing a documentary on LA.

But don't just start filming people ANYWHERE and not ask first.

Old 01-30-2017, 10:13 AM

17,815 posts, read 25,624,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike121 View Post
Most people are just trying to get by and live their own lives. Most people, if you catch them at a convenient time, and kind and helpful, or, if you catch them when they are busy, are polite but not interested.

Even in the "worst" neighborhoods, crime is pretty rare. So it is all about the odds. Crime is some neighborhoods are way more common, but, probably won't happen to you on any given day.

But if you are filming in bad neighborhood just so you can say "hey look at these people, their neighborhood is garbage", then *you* are the person being horrible. They have more to fear from you than you from them.

Well said.

Old 01-30-2017, 11:03 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,952,246 times
Quote:
You should be scared!! That fear is your survival instinct. Listen to your own instincts.

Do you even know "where" to go? Day vs. night? You want to film some "actions", such as deals going down?

You should consider hiring a "local", as your guide, who knows where the bad neighborhoods are. Also, you can interview him/ her on camera to give an overview of the area, what are some major issues, etc. He/she can introduce you to "friends" whom you can also interview. Heck, maybe even rival gang members asking them some insightful questions, e.g., how are your drug sales? how do you kill off the competitions?

Good luck to you but this is a part of Darwinism, those skinny white dudes gene pool shrinks in the process

Old 01-30-2017, 01:44 PM

1,166 posts, read 1,634,121 times
Quote:
Let me guess: A "real bad" neighborhood has older, smaller houses and apartment buildings, with predominantly black and brown people. A "real good" neighborhood has big houses and lots of white people.

I thought the neighborhood I grew up in was pretty good. Only later did I discover some people were scared to go there and thought it was a bad place to be.

Old 01-30-2017, 08:08 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG2EGOB9-lc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles