Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2006, 01:10 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,603,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
Aww, hugs to you Fearweather!

I personally, as a woman, can't risk being friendly with the people around me (Southern California isn't known as serial killer central for nothing! LOL!). I don't trust anyone! I always get the feeling someone wants something from me (man or woman), because people are so broke and barely hanging on. Even as you stated - THE RICH AREN'T AS RICH AS THEY PORTRAY THEMSELVES TO BE.

Another thing I don't like about Los Angeles are some of the blacks crazy paranoia about white people! I'm African American, but I don't look at whites the same way they do HERE. There's this insane "don't trust whitey, because he's out to get us" thing that's beyond real. No, I don't think all white people love us, but **** I don't think they're the spawn of satan either! LOL! Man, you gotta be there listening to know what I'm talking about. I am so happy I wasn't raised here. Thank God for small favors.

Like for instance, I was temping at one of the studio lots for a couple of months and I was sitting outside having lunch with another girl, also black. Well all of a sudden these black hooker looking chicks wave to us and we say hi back. So they get closer then from out of nowhere one of them says "We all need to speak to each other because we IS on the plantation." No freakin lie! I couldn't believe it. These people didn't know either one of us from adam and thought it was okay to say this. For all she knows I could have been half white or had a white husband or something. Unfortunately, this would not be my last foray into the crazy world of California blacks' paranoia of white people.
At my workplace in South Florida my co-worker said we'áll still is on the plantation ( I am white, but working there I guess made me ok to talk the talk to-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2006, 02:33 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,026,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newportbeachsmostwanted View Post
Here's where you are wrong. You have justified the LA's problems due to size. Don't get me wrong LA is a mega-city. -A mega city where the daily issues are being ignored..

If LA matched the quality of life in suburbia, coupled with it's current vibrancy and culture-I doubt we'd all be complaining. -I mean -hey, a middle class?! No traffic, safe, clean, yet still soo many cultural oppurtunities. No, LA doesn't need to be a white suburb, but it can strive to do the same things that these suburban areas are doing right.
First of all, I didn’t attempt to make a justification of any sort for LA’s problems in my post. I simply made a reference to quality of life in LA in comparison to other mega cities. According Wikipedia a mega city is usually defined as a recognized metropolitan area with a total population in excess of 10 million people. Mexico City, New York, Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, and Los Angeles are a few of the cities/metro areas listed in the top 10 as mega cities. All of these cities have the good and bad that go along with being great economic and cultural powers. However, when viewing quality of life in LA against these other mega cities, I think life in LA is comparatively better. At least anecdotally this is true because a large number of people from these cities have migrated to LA in great numbers and continue to do so, hence the reason for LA being the fastest growing city in the U.S.

On your second point, LA has suburban areas and neighborhoods, but on the whole, LA is NOT suburbia, so don't expect it to be. The social issues, urban decay, growing population, and demographical shifts faced by LA county are far more complex and expensive to address than in places like South Orange County and Santa Clarita where they are essentially building brand new communities for the middle and upper classes from scratch. Second, depending on your point of view about urban vs. suburban living, life in LA is the same and in some cases better than it is in suburbia, especially in So Cal where we all encounter traffic and air pollution. I for one would choose Santa Monica (urban) over Newport Beach (suburban) any day.

Old 12-10-2006, 03:37 PM

989 posts, read 5,926,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealAngelion View Post
First of all, I didn’t attempt to make a justification of any sort for LA’s problems in my post. I simply made a reference to quality of life in LA in comparison to other mega cities. According Wikipedia a mega city is usually defined as a recognized metropolitan area with a total population in excess of 10 million people.
Quote:
Mexico City, New York, Tokyo, Seoul, Shanghai, and Los Angeles are a few of the cities/metro areas listed in the top 10 as mega cities.
Well, the official population of LA city limits is 3,819,951. The metropolitan area is argued, but figures shift from 7 million to 12 million. In comparison to Hong Kong, Seoul, and NYC, LA has a much lower residential density.
Quote:
All of these cities have the good and bad that go along with being great economic and cultural powers. However, when viewing quality of life in LA against these other mega cities, I think life in LA is comparatively better.
LA is located in USA. The greatest economic power in the world; comparing it to cities in Mexico is like comparing apples to oranges.

Quote:
hence the reason for LA being the fastest growing city in the U.S.
I do not agree. Phoenix and Las Vegas are much faster growing.

Quote:
I for one would choose Santa Monica (urban) over Newport Beach (suburban) any day.
Both good cities. But you're breaking your point.. Santa Monica isn't part of LA.
Possibly that's why you mention Santa Monica. It isn't governed by this terrible city of LA. Hence, It is more desireable.

Quote:
I for one would choose Santa Monica (urban) over Newport Beach (suburban) any day.
Fine, name a five better parts in LA city limits(urban) than Santa Monica(urban).

Old 12-10-2006, 06:32 PM

1 posts, read 4,134 times
I like Los Angeles, but then again I enjoy not trusting those around me. Screw them.

Old 12-10-2006, 07:08 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,026,321 times
[quote]
Quote:
Well, the official population of LA city limits is 3,819,951. The metropolitan area is argued, but figures shift from 7 million to 12 million. In comparison to Hong Kong, Seoul, and NYC, LA has a much lower residential density.
There are two "official" definitions of Greater Los Angeles. There’s the Los Angeles metropolitan area consisting only of Los Angeles and Orange Counties, and the Combined Statistical Area (CSA) sprawled over five counties including Los Angeles County, Orange County, San Bernardino County, Riverside County and Ventura County.

The 2005 population estimate for the metro area, which you alluded to, is 12,923,547. The 2005 population estimate for the CSA, which I originally alluded to, is 17,629,607. Based on the CSA number, LA is the ninth largest “mega city” in the world.

I don’t know what your point is about residential density. The fact that LA is less dense than the other cities you mentioned is a blessing.

[quote]
Quote:
LA is located in USA. The greatest economic power in the world; comparing it to cities in Mexico is like comparing apples to oranges.
I did not compare LA to “cities” in Mexico. I compared LA to the top 10 mega cities as defined by Wikipedia. They include 1. Tokyo (30-34 million) 2.Mexico City (22,800,000) 3. Seoul (22,300,000) 4. New York City (21,900,000) 5. São Paulo (20,200,000) 6. Mumbai (Bombay) (19,850,000) 7. Delhi (19,700,000) 8. Shanghai (18,150,000) 9. Los Angeles (18,000,000) and 10. Osaka (16,800,000)

[quote]
Quote:
I do not agree. Phoenix and Las Vegas are much faster growing.
According to the City Mayors Web site, Los Angeles has had the greatest growth in population since 2000 with 125,131 new people. Here is the link http://www.citymayors.com/gratis/uscities_growth.html

[quote]
Quote:
Both good cities. But you're breaking your point.. Santa Monica isn't part of LA. Possibly that's why you mention Santa Monica. It isn't governed by this terrible city of LA. Hence, It is more desireable.
You are correct. Santa Monica is not within the city of Los Angeles. However, it is bounded by LA to the north, east, and south (west is ocean). Santa Monica is also within LA County. Because Santa Monica is directly adjacent to LA city and is within LA county I would classify Santa Monica as more of an urban beach community.

I’d choose Pacific Palisades and Venice Beach (both are within the city of LA) over Newport Beach too!

[quote]
Quote:
Fine, name a five better parts in LA city limits(urban) than Santa Monica(urban).
I don’t agree with your phrasing of the question. As someone who grew up in LA, I very much consider Santa Monica as much a part of LA as I do Beverly Hills, Burbank, Culver City, etc. However, if you want to know five neighborhoods within LA city that are comparable to Santa Monica in terms of having nice residences and access to nice shopping, restaurants, etc., here are five such examples:

Pacific Palisades
Brentwood
Westwood
Century City and adjacent areas to the west and south (Rancho Park, Cheviot Hills, etc.)
Fairfax District (area near and between Beverly Center and The Grove)

There are more…. And I didn’t even cover the Valley.

Old 12-11-2006, 10:54 AM

3 posts, read 7,656 times
Default Choices

Beautiful weather, beautiful people, beautiful beaches, mountains, shopping.
Also smog, horrible summer heat, hateful-pushy abusive-frustrated population, no parking at beaches, mountains or shopping. In addition to three hour commutes, you get to sit on the "free"way for hours to get to airports, beaches, or events. Then, you have to pay absurd parking fees, and drive home for hours. Don't even ask about education in this state - unless you can say and pay for private school !
California is a great place to be "from". Welcome to all the newbies - I for one plan to take my equity and my money to a better place. As so many others, will be interesting to watch as our money leaves the state.

Old 12-11-2006, 11:11 AM

253 posts, read 1,131,402 times
Default Response to L.A. going down....

Quote:
Originally Posted by hedgefundpirate View Post
Just my own humble opinion been to many cities such as NY,Miami,Tampa,Orlando and I personally think that the city of Los Angeles because of poor political leadership is going down the tubes.The middle class seem to running for the exit.
Personally, I think the LA City Council & Villaraigosa take their cues from Mexico. Which is basically to make a lot of noise but then do nothing. You can see this same thing in border towns like Brawley & Calexico where the local power structure finally has what some/many politicians lust for: absolute power with no recourse by the citizenry.

The fact that people are fleeing this scenario makes their true constituents very happy: the very rich and environmentalists (coastal & westsiders) and the poor Mexican/Central Americans who love the idea that the power structure WANTS them there. (They have never felt so wanted in all their life!!! )

Of course, LA is going to end up like Mexico City, but the illegals truly don't care. They basically live day to day and are not wired to think long term. To them, thinking and analysis are a waste of time. Meanwhile, the rich are happy to rid the area of anyone who does not subscribe to their political beliefs.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:29 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Right on. Not only are the biggest whiners on here not city people, they are also very provincial and clueless because they have traveled very little or not at all to other major U.S. and foreign cities with populations of $1 million plus people. If they had that frame of reference, they'd see why LA in comparison to other mega cities is a great deal. They don't accept that LA is now a mega city that is now more urban than suburban in sensibility. They want LA to be the sprawling white suburb it was in the 40s and 50s, like Simi Valley and South Orange County are today.
I'm not from L.A. (been living here 3 years), but I can honestly say YOU ARE SO WRONG IN YOUR ASSESSMENT. For the record, I'm black and moved here from NYC. I was under the impression that LA was a (cheaper) west coast version of NYC. It's not. It's nothing but sprawling suburbs and very expensive. Some places are city like -West L.A and Westwood for instance, but it's mostly clustered suburbs. I've also spoken to MANY OTHER PEOPLE FROM BACK EAST (black/white) who find L.A. to not be what they expected either. Everyone wants to leave.

L.A. is NOT a mega city. At least not in my eyes. I guess people from smaller cities and states think it is, but not me.

Old 12-11-2006, 12:37 PM

6,459 posts, read 12,031,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhelena View Post
At my workplace in South Florida my co-worker said we'áll still is on the plantation ( I am white, but working there I guess made me ok to talk the talk to-
LOL! I never heard that expression before until I came here. I just couldn't believe the boldness in the way it was presented. But I've come to realize since living here and meeting more of the black "natives" that even if a black person is caught on tape doing something wrong, it doesn't matter. He's still innocent and being set up by "whitey". I'm sorry, but I'm not down with that kind of ignorance. If it's that bad here, then MOVE.

Old 12-11-2006, 01:42 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marilyn220 View Post
L.A. is NOT a mega city. At least not in my eyes. I guess people from smaller cities and states think it is, but not me.
*sigh*

Like I said before - just because it doesn't look like a big city doesn't mean it isn't a big city.

LA is the most populous city in the most populous state in the country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles