Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 03:15 PM

5,003 posts, read 5,981,943 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowhomecity View Post
Wow, do you know what parts are starting to turn first? Like what sections, to me that is just CRAZY.
The parts that are mostly Mexican gentrify first. Gentrification really means white people moving in. Nobody refers to mostly black, Asian, or Hispanic neighborhoods as “gentrifying” even when they are. And white people for the most part don’t move into black neighborhoods in LA. So you see white people moving into west Inglewood in large numbers. Right by westchester.

The exception to this rule and it’s recent is Crenshaw. White people started moving into Baldwin Hills, View Park, and Ladera about 10-12 years ago. But those are relatively expensive and upper middle class already. The crazy thing is seeing white people in Crenshaw and even Hyde Park. The number of white moms pushing baby strollers around Crenshaw is pretty crazy. I thought I’d never see that but there they are. Too bad. Oh well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 03:51 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
The parts that are mostly Mexican gentrify first. Gentrification really means white people moving in. Nobody refers to mostly black, Asian, or Hispanic neighborhoods as “gentrifying” even when they are. And white people for the most part don’t move into black neighborhoods in LA. So you see white people moving into west Inglewood in large numbers. Right by westchester.

The exception to this rule and it’s recent is Crenshaw. White people started moving into Baldwin Hills, View Park, and Ladera about 10-12 years ago. But those are relatively expensive and upper middle class already. The crazy thing is seeing white people in Crenshaw and even Hyde Park. The number of white moms pushing baby strollers around Crenshaw is pretty crazy. I thought I’d never see that but there they are. Too bad. Oh well.
I lived through the end of White Flight and I am now watching the White return. Today as a Black senior dies of the house is probably sold to a white person of child bearing age.

About a year ago I saw the first White children at Baldwin Hills Elementary, a few years after Windsor Hills. To be fair from the 60's on less than half of the Black kids stayed local. When White kids start showing up at Hillcrest in the Jungles or Dorsey the reconquest by the fleeiers grandchildren will be completed

Old 12-23-2017, 04:07 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,454,917 times
Interesting there are so many against diversity of these areas .

Old 12-23-2017, 05:20 PM

12,386 posts, read 8,149,420 times
Of course back to the White return to Compton which a generation ago became a school district populated by Latinos going to schools named for Black heroes. Given the theory yes it to will look like the 50s only with the seniors being black instead of the white seniors who missed the train. Inglewood meanwhile has every advantage of Crenshaw except Inglewood city services and that old lady next door is not the widow of Ray Charles who white grandparents fled from

Old 12-23-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
Of course back to the White return to Compton which a generation ago became a school district populated by Latinos going to schools named for Black heroes. Given the theory yes it to will look like the 50s only with the seniors being black instead of the white seniors who missed the train. Inglewood meanwhile has every advantage of Crenshaw except Inglewood city services and that old lady next door is not the widow of Ray Charles who white grandparents fled from
Compton is .8% white .

I don't think you have to worry about whites 'taking it over' anytime soon.

Old 12-23-2017, 05:46 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,601,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Compton is .8% white .

I don't think you have to worry about whites 'taking it over' anytime soon.
People such as James Coburn and Kevin Costner were from Compton, true story, so it wasn't always a "black" or 'black&Latino" city

Old 12-23-2017, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Interesting there are so many against diversity of these areas .
I’m for diversity, but it is nice to have at least some areas where I’m not a minority and can feel a level of comfort that I don’t feel everywhere.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eucalyptus101 View Post
Compton is mostly hispanic now... 2/3rds hispanic... so with that in mind, yes it could gentrify.

Yes - I think actually all of LA will "gentrify" to some extent. Supply is low and the population keeps growing. It is causing people and young professionals (yuppies) to move more inland/east.
I think the long term problem with Compton is that it’s very suburban styled. I think that kind of goes against the grain of more urban styled areas being gentrified.

Old 12-23-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
People such as James Coburn and Kevin Costner were from Compton, true story, so it wasn't always a "black" or 'black&Latino" city
Yes I know , the Bush family once lived there as well .

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archi...=.78871dcb1610

Old 12-23-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
I think the long term problem with Compton is that it’s very suburban styled. I think that kind of goes against the grain of more urban styled areas being gentrified.
That's why I thought it didn't make much sense when the Compton mayor said that it was going to be the next Brooklyn.
It seems like it's mostly single family homes and some industrial areas without much walkable retail.

The areas that seem to gentrify have existing retail areas that are walkable .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles