Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2018, 03:47 PM

7,025 posts, read 4,901,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
Perhaps they should move to Iowa:

Someone was explaining the process of wages and workers to me. They said that if there were too few workers, wages would go up. Well, I guess that person was wrong, because either the wages are high and people aren't working anyway or wages are lower than people want to work for and businesses aren't raising them.

Besides, I can tell you from first hand experience that businesses don't want to hire the homeless and I was told that from a counselor in the career center of the community college I was attending at the time. I doubt much has changed since then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
Apparently it’s too expensive to move according to some on this thread . How many possessions do the homeless or very poor have that they would have to spend a bunch of money to move them ?
In my case it was a small U-Haul truck and I put my car on a trailer and pulled it behind the truck. Cost to move 800 miles: over $1800 and that was 17 years ago.

How much money does it cost to get a job these days? You tell me. Take a good look at the next homeless person you see. Without a place to shower, a suit to wear, new shoes, a haircut, a place and the means to print out a resume, transportation to an interview or even several interviews, plus maybe renting a PO box so he can have an address, you think a homeless person can afford to get work where he lives, let alone halfway across the country? And if a person showed up looking like a homeless person does and/or not being able to give you a permanent address or previous work history, would you hire him? Well, we both know the answer to that one.

People who say the homeless should just get a job are the ones who would never hire a homeless person even if they had the opportunity. They're sort of like the NIMBYs of the business world.

And you know, I hate to say it, but I've been hearing business owners complain for the last 30 years about not having people working for them. I've heard over and over and over again how they just want someone reliable to show up when they're supposed to and be on time. Then you go in for the interview.

As I stated before, I have a car repossession on my credit report. I have 35 years of customer service and money handling, 17 years of that as a teller and head vault teller. I can be bonded. But because businesses today want a perfect credit report, I can't get a job as a toll taker. And I bet that company goes around complaining that they can't get anyone to work for them. Ya think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2018, 05:17 PM

26,747 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
You're being funny, right? You're not really trying to say that you've never heard that most homeless people are working at least part-time, are you?
No, I'm not being funny....I'm requesting data from the poster who said this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
Among the claims made about the homeless:

Many homeless work but still cannot afford rent
when I responded to his post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Many homeless work but are still homeless? Data? I've never heard or read that.
I rarely hear or read about homeless people having jobs, so wondered from where that "claim" of his came. And from what you said in your above post, it sounds very difficult to hold down any type of job without a regular place to shower, change, eat, sleep, etc.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:54 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,409,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No, I'm not being funny....I'm requesting data from the poster who said this:

when I responded to his post:

I rarely hear or read about homeless people having jobs, so wondered from where that "claim" of his came. And from what you said in your above post, it sounds very difficult to hold down any type of job without a regular place to shower, change, eat, sleep, etc.
They live in an RV so are considered homeless.

Old 04-03-2018, 08:55 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times
The homeless Disney worker who died alone in her car became the face of a public debate, but all she wanted was privacy

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/3...d-was-privacy/

Old 04-03-2018, 09:28 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,991,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
The homeless Disney worker who died alone in her car became the face of a public debate, but all she wanted was privacy

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/03/3...d-was-privacy/
Looks like she turned down lots of help, and had gotten herself into massive debt.

Tragic story but I'm not sure how Disney is at fault at all, she was making $13-$14 an hour. That's more than fair for the type of job she was doing.

Old 04-03-2018, 11:38 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,288,005 times
People live with the decisions they make. It's hard enough to make a career out a low paying job at Disney, or mcDs, or whatever, forcing higher wages doesn't solve it either.

Sounds like the friend got smart and moved on.

Quote:
Vanessa Muñoz Diaz worked for three years with Mesfin cleaning restrooms in the Cars Land area of Disney California Adventure theme park. She moved to Illinois last year to find a better paying job, but the friend whose name she lovingly likened to Winnie the Pooh stays on her mind.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:15 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
Looks like she turned down lots of help, and had gotten herself into massive debt.

Tragic story but I'm not sure how Disney is at fault at all, she was making $13-$14 an hour. That's more than fair for the type of job she was doing.
I'm not sure why you feel compelled to try to smut her up for her "massive debt" and I'm not sure how you know how much debt she had because no one else seems to know. She chose to remain homeless in order to pay off her debt. Debt that she felt a responsibility to pay since she could have easily discharged that debt through bankruptcy.

As far as Disney, given the profit they make, I don't think it's commendable the average hourly wage for Disneyland resort workers dropped to $13.36 from $15.80 in inflation-adjusted dollars between 2000 and 2017.

"Of 17,000 workers represented by the 11 unions, 85 percent now earn less than $15 an hour with more than half earning less than $12, below the poverty line for a family of four, according to a team of researchers at Occidental College and the Economic Roundtable, a Los Angeles nonprofit that drafted the report at the unions’ behest." https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/2...-survey-finds/

Old 04-03-2018, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I'm not sure why you feel compelled to try to smut her up for her "massive debt" and I'm not sure how you know how much debt she had because no one else seems to know. She chose to remain homeless in order to pay off her debt. Debt that she felt a responsibility to pay since she could have easily discharged that debt through bankruptcy.

As far as Disney, given the profit they make, I don't think it's commendable the average hourly wage for Disneyland resort workers dropped to $13.36 from $15.80 in inflation-adjusted dollars between 2000 and 2017.

"Of 17,000 workers represented by the 11 unions, 85 percent now earn less than $15 an hour with more than half earning less than $12, below the poverty line for a family of four, according to a team of researchers at Occidental College and the Economic Roundtable, a Los Angeles nonprofit that drafted the report at the unions’ behest." https://www.ocregister.com/2018/02/2...-survey-finds/
She choose to also rack up massive debt.

Choices have consequences. That's not "smutting" anyone up, it's simple facts.

You're talking about Disney's profits and what's commendable or fair, but what do you know about starting and running a business? If you think $13-$15 is not enough money for someone to clean toilets, you're free to start your own business to clean toilets, get a Disney contract, and pay your workers more money. Have you ever started a business before? How do you know that's not a perfectly fair wage? How many people have you hired before?

I have actual experience running a business, and I actually started that business in SoCal (unlike you who is commenting from Sacramento) where we contracted our janitorial services from a firm that was in Westminster. But I'm curious where your experience came from.

Old 04-03-2018, 12:34 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,301,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliRestoration View Post
She choose to also rack up massive debt.
What evidence do you have that she ran up massive debt?

Last edited by 2sleepy; 04-03-2018 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-03-2018, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post

What evidence do you have that she ran up massive debt?
I'll answer that when you answer the question I posed to you about how you determined that the wage she was being paid was not fair or by your own words "commendable".

Let's not jump around here, respond to the point YOU MADE, then we can move onto another point. Let's not ignore it. That's how a discussion works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles