Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2007, 09:14 PM

19 posts, read 103,502 times

Advertisements

Los Angeles is a magical place for someone young and single and looking for excitement. Los Angeles is not a good place for someone without a lot of money who wants to live in a safe yet affordable area. Those two words do not go together in L.A.- safe and affordable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2007, 09:48 PM

1,477 posts, read 4,406,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kh501 View Post
Los Angeles is a magical place for someone young and single and looking for excitement.
Move to NYC or for that matter Boston, D.C., Philly, etc.

Anywhere on the East Coast is better than the sprawling, grid-lock, soulless wasteland that is LA.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:52 PM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Default Florida vs. California

Quote:
Originally Posted by CiXeL View Post
i used to dislike LA because i was born and raised there so all i saw were the problems...

so i moved to miami

WHAT A MISTAKE!!!!!

you guys dont know how good you have it.
I post a lot in the Florida forums because I lived there for a few years when I was a kid. My parents couldn't stand living there (my dad was in the military and was stationed in Winter Park/Orlando). My mom especially got all freaked out by the flying cockroaches AKA palmetto bugs. Oh, and that hot, humid, muggy weather.

As soon as my dad's service in Florida ended, we hightailed it back here to California, and haven't looked back since. Yes, I DO know how much better I have it.

Old 01-03-2007, 10:56 PM

38,897 posts, read 22,885,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post
Well I'm not really going to move there anytime soon. But if I was, where would be the cheapest place to live, what is the safest neighborhood (if there is any), and should I just move outside the city?
Really, right now, this is just a "what if" thing.
Well, "cheap" and "safe" don't go together in very many neighborhoods in the city of L.A. proper. You'd have to go outside of Los Angeles County if you want safe, like Orange County. But then, most of that area isn't exactly cheap. What are you willing to spend on apartment rent? How much are you willing to spend on purchasing a home, if that's your goal?

Old 01-04-2007, 02:07 PM

346 posts, read 2,141,044 times

This is a funny comic I found that really sums up the answer to this question and it's about relocating to LA too! How relevant. I hope the image shows up.

Old 01-05-2007, 03:45 PM

33 posts, read 151,418 times
L.A is really not that bad thats the past lets look at the future
alot of new development is going on in downtown Los angeles
L.A live
In a revitalization effort that mirrors the massive resurrection of Times Square in New York City over the past decade, Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) broke ground on L.A. Live, a $1.7 billion tourist-oriented “sports-entertainment” hub. The plan features a 55-story convention center and hotel, 7,100-seat theater, broadcast facilities, 14-screen movie theater and nearly a dozen restaurants and clubs.
Syska Hennessy Group is playing a prominent role in this revitalization effort. Syska is the utility master plan MEP consultant, MEP consulting engineer for a new broadcasting facility, MEP consulting engineer for Nokia Theatre and MEP/security/elevator consulting design engineer for the parking garage.

As a merger of sports, public assembly and entertainment, the L.A. Live development benefits from Syska’s ability to draw from our expertise in sports entertainment, master planning, hotel, performing arts, office, restaurant, retail, convention facilities and broadcast facilities
http://www.ritzcarlton.com/corporate...os_angeles.asp

construction on the l.A live

Ritz-Carlton / Marriott Marquis part of L.a LIVE
quote from L.A downtown news
"It's dizzying to think about how many new housing projects are coming online or have recently opened in Downtown Los Angeles. About 7,200 residences are being built, with another 16,700 in the pipeline, according to the Downtown Center Business Improvement District."

the eastern columbia being refurbished by the Kor Group
a 30 million renovation

http://you-are-here.com/downtown/1930_eastern_columbia.jpg (broken link)
and many more historic buildings In the historic core

guys want to move to L.A move to downtown
L.As future looks bright

Old 01-05-2007, 03:50 PM

33 posts, read 151,418 times
more info go to http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=147965

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicecityguy View Post
This will highlight some of the new development projects in downtown LA. Most of these projects are either approved, planned or in development, however some of these project's status is unknown... but are possible given the revitalization of downtown and the increase in demand for both residential and office space.

In addition to these projects there are many adaptive re-use projects of historic buildings being renovated as lofts/condos/apartments. These projects are numerous and at various stages. As new projects are added or new renderings are available I will update this post.

LA Central (45 and 33 story towers)

Lucia Tower (31 Story Condo Tower)

Architect: Archeon Group
Developer: The Cimmarustis

1027 Wilshire (48 Story Tower)

St. Vibiana Lofts (41 Story Tower)

Ritz-Carlton / Marriott Marquis (54 Story Hotel/Condo)

Trinity Towers (31 stories)
http://www.trinitytowersla.com/pics/7.jpg (broken link)

Concerto at Figueroa and 9th street (Two Towers, 27-story towers and a 5-story building)
Developer: Sonny Astani

The City House (60 stories)

The Olympic (50 stories)

8th & Grand (40 story tower, 24 story tower, and 15 story tower)

Fig South
Developer: Williams & Dame Development Inc
Description: 2 towers, 34 and 24 stories with 300+ total condos.

Metropolis (Tower 1 - 30 story condo, Tower 2 - 30 story condo, Tower 3 - 30 story hotel, and Tower 4 - 45 story office building)
Developer: IDS
Architect: Arquitectonica

Grand Avenue (Four to Six Towers from 25-65 Stories)
http://www.theslatinreport.com/content/pictures/Grand+Avenue_overall+view.JPG (broken link)

Glass Tower (25 stories)
Northeast corner of 11th and Grand

Pacific Stock Exchange Towers (30 stories each)
http://www.downtownnews.com/content/articles/2005/02/07/news/news02.jpg (broken link)

Olive Street Tower (35 stories) (on hold?)

LAPD Headquarters

Federal Courthouse (16 stories, but over 400 ft)

8th & Figeroa Office Tower

Park Lofts - 9th & Hope (41 Story Tower)
http://www.cimgroup.com/imgs/props/9th_&_Hope_lg1.jpg (broken link)

Zen Tower (50 stories)

Developer: Kawada Group

Residences at 9th & Flower (37 stories)

Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising Tower (19 Stories)
NW corner of Flower and Olympic
Description: 110 dormitory apartments and 65,000 square feet northeast corner of Flower Street and Olympic Boulevard.

Hanover Tower (27 stories)
Northeast corner of Olympic and Figueroa

755 Tower
http://www.rtkl.com/images/portfolio_images/755.jpg (broken link)

Elleven (13 stories)

Evo (24 stories)

Luma (17 stories)
http://www.kylefritz.com/ELLEVEN1.jpg (broken link)

Hope Street Condominiums (25 stories)
http://www.downtownnews.com/content/articles/2005/01/10/news/news04.jpg (broken link)

The Medallion (Two 11 Story Towers)

Old 01-05-2007, 04:54 PM
JJG JJG started this thread

13,612 posts, read 22,908,523 times
Those are some nice pics on LA development. I'm from Fort Worth, TX and we don't really get that much (everything just goes to Dallas, which is totally unfair). I'll agree on one thing, LA is a good place for the rich and famous, but if that happens to me, I still wouldn't move there because:

1. I'm mostly getting negative responses abbout the city on this post and...

2. I just can't really see myself in the smog and traffic, Y'a know.

It may be the land where (some) dreams come true, but you guys are answering my question. And that answer is ....Los Angeles, California is a terrible place to live in.

P.S. I should have guessed Compton is the cheapest part of the area to live in. And NO I don't want to live there.

Old 01-05-2007, 05:27 PM

32 posts, read 130,113 times
I agree those pictures are very cool and promising. But what is crazy is that, normally when cities are rejuvenated or go through a revitalization efforts, you typically are able to buy it fairly cheap. However in this case in LA, the prices are already so expensive to buy in these new developments that it is already pricing in the fact that these areas are already rejuvenated and very safe and happenning.

Old 01-05-2007, 07:42 PM

852 posts, read 3,815,049 times
Actually, the areas are priced to reflect their close access to L.A.'s amenities, not that the neighborhoods are necessarily nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles