Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2008, 10:26 PM

21 posts, read 84,866 times

Advertisements

You just lived in the wrong part of the state. Alot of the roads can be bad, but not all are. Some towns have trailer parks, others have nice suburbs and apartments. 2 cities does not make a whole state. JMO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2008, 09:08 AM

56 posts, read 228,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimNtony View Post
You just lived in the wrong part of the state. Alot of the roads can be bad, but not all are. Some towns have trailer parks, others have nice suburbs and apartments. 2 cities does not make a whole state. JMO
Your right, I may have lived in the wrong part but it was only my opinion based on personal experience...most of the roads are bad, most of the schools are falling down, education in Louisiana for the MOST part is at the bottom of the list...I made a choice to experience life outside of La to see if it was any different and I am happy with my decision

Last edited by shanla; 03-23-2008 at 09:18 AM..

Old 03-23-2008, 11:19 AM

369 posts, read 1,639,149 times
Quote:
I agree. Just last weekend I had to drive across state, and I was pleasantly surprised at how the roads on the route I took had improved since my last trip out that way about 4 years ago. Most of Louisiana's major state highways have been repaved in the not so distant past. Our downfall is all of those little back country roads that hardly anyone drives on anyway.

Old 03-23-2008, 03:37 PM

21 posts, read 84,866 times
If you are happy that you moved, great. Personally, I'll be more than happy to get out of this crappy state called Missouri. Very low in education - one of the lowest in the nation, Very high in drugs/crime - one of the highest in the nation, and full of completely stupid people (mostly jr high/high school drop outs). They can't spell, don't know the meanings of words, can't count, and can't figure out the daily things everyone should know how to do (i.e. pump gas, use a credit card, etc).
It's just my opinion. One of many, I'm sure.

So, do what you gotta do to be happy. Just don't judge a whole state based on a few cities.

Holloway -- I have family down in Deville. Isn't that close to holloway? Like Holloway hunting club or something?

Old 03-23-2008, 03:39 PM

369 posts, read 1,639,149 times
Quote:
If you are happy that you moved, great. Personally, I'll be more than happy to get out of this crappy state called Missouri. Very low in education - one of the lowest in the nation, Very high in drugs/crime - one of the highest in the nation, and full of completely stupid people (mostly jr high/high school drop outs). They can't spell, don't know the meanings of words, can't count, and can't figure out the daily things everyone should know how to do (i.e. pump gas, use a credit card, etc).
It's just my opinion. One of many, I'm sure.

So, do what you gotta do to be happy. Just don't judge a whole state based on a few cities.

Holloway -- I have family down in Deville. Isn't that close to holloway? Like Holloway hunting club or something?
Not sure, I kenw that there was a place called Holloway someplace around Alexandria, but I've never been there.

Old 03-26-2008, 05:37 PM

26 posts, read 167,380 times
Low Self esteem...

now way... We are one of the few states with a natural sense of humor... Now it can cause us to be complacent when it comes to our problems... but, you cannot beat the people... Naturally they just are nice and generally happy to be here.

I have lived in Connecticut, New York & Colorado... Moved back here to LA twice since... Will not move out again.

Old 03-26-2008, 06:31 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,023,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omicronkappa278 View Post
Low Self esteem...

now way... We are one of the few states with a natural sense of humor... Now it can cause us to be complacent when it comes to our problems... but, you cannot beat the people... Naturally they just are nice and generally happy to be here.

I have lived in Connecticut, New York & Colorado... Moved back here to LA twice since... Will not move out again.
You made a valid point. We may not be rich or overly educated but we are happy and have good food, good fishin', good huntin', and good partyin'. LOL

Old 03-27-2008, 08:27 AM

65 posts, read 381,343 times
I've been thinking how to address this question for a while. Yesterday I read a truly inspirational story about the spirit of certain Louisiana icons. According to the WWLTV website, chef Paul Prudhomme was cooking at the Zurich Classic Golf tournament when he was grazed by a 22-caliber bullet. If I had low esteem I would have thought that even at golf tournaments people aren't safe-another black eye for Louisiana. The last line in the story inspired me and really showed what the people of this state are capable of thru trying times. It said "Prudhomme continued cooking". Even though we have bad times and feel down, I think in the long run the people of this state will "continue cooking" and try to make things better.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:01 PM

42 posts, read 250,351 times
I was born here and Louisiana has a lot of beauty, culture and charm but let's be realistic. For a lot of people wanting to get ahead in life, Louisiana is not really providing the opportunities to do so. Starting with the educational system. I went to some of the most horrid schools in NOLA, nevertheless I graduated HS and college and when I went out "into the world" to get that GOOD PAYING JOB that people told me I'd command, it never materialized. Every facet of of this state has been corrupted and people like me are literally paying for it. The welfare system, insurance, public officials etc. And I've come to find out that if you don't have a background in the medical, or industrial(oil and gas) fields, then your screwed.After HK I moved back here to BR thinking that things may be different than when I lived in NOLA. So far I'm disappointed. I'm really trying to give this state one more try at staying here before I leave for good as most of my family lives here. I came back here with such optimism, but so far those feelings have degraded into frustration at the struggle to find a good paying job. After H Katrina the cost of living here in southern LA has dramatically increased, but these jobs here still want to pay you the same wages. I would love to stay here, but I'm tired of this crappiness.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:08 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
people have low self esteem, not states. however interesting observation. calling people "low self esteem people" is rapidly becoming a
new form of CD name calling isn't it? we keep coming up with new ways of treating each other badly. hatred is like the duracell bunny, it just keep on going.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana