Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2008, 02:31 PM

14,100 posts, read 28,528,095 times

Advertisements

I have to wonder if the perception of low self esteme comes from us not having elitist pride in where we come from like what we see in people on the east and west coast. I see the things that are wrong with the state and I vote to help try to change out the politicians that helped to create or cause these things to happen. Part of the perception problem is New York and Los Angeles media know nothing about this area and it shows in their nightly news broadcast, their television shows, and their movies. Visit the state tourism site and you'll learn that the state has distinct regions, each with it's own culture and contained within are some subcultures that include native American, Irish, German, Spanish, etc. Hunting and fishing in the swamps and off shore will yield great excitement. Nature lovers would love to visit the swamps, especially in the early morning hours when there's a light fog hanging over the water as the sun begins to rise. Tree lovers would get their fill in north and north central Louisiana along with deer hunting. We don't "put on airs" the way certain cities do. I had guys from New York and LA think I was dumb because I was from Louisiana. This was while I was in the Navy. I easily managed to convince them otherwise. I must be smart to be admitted to the Navy's Nuclear power program. My wife's nephew from Breaux Bridge also was admitted to that program and is going onboard his first submarine soon. We talk with a funny accent because some of us also speak Cajun French and we were raised by family who spoke Cajun French. We're not rude and obnoxious. Maybe some of them look down upon us for being religious since some people from those cities seem to hate religion. Who knows.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2008, 09:34 AM

420 posts, read 479,062 times
Wow, i wrote this a long time ago, we still on this? I concur with u sailordave(nice name). The absolute solution to all Louisiana's problems is the people having pride in what we are, who we are, and where we come from. Everyday, i scream out Louisiana this, Louisiana that, i try to make Louisiana a common name and trend. People really respond to it and want to see why love it so much. I have yet to see nothing more incredible and beautiful than a prideful Louisianian. So passionate, so pure, so down home with too many morals, but they are very few and they all seem to be hidden. My name alone speaks for itself, I am a legend. I say that not because of any big significance of what I am or the fact that i think highly of myself(...................), but its the fact that im doing something that most people here refuse to do.....Love Louisiana(because its me, and I love me, so why not love Louisiana, the place that i am and the place that molded me?). The sadest thing is because of my strong pride, it is very likely that I will become a legend for having high self esteem in a low self esteem setting. Long live love in louisiana - louisiana legend aka endangered species.

Old 12-30-2008, 10:09 AM

49 posts, read 205,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimNtony View Post
Do you think someone with an Associates Degree in CAD/D (computer aided design and drafting) will be able to find a job in Shreveport or Alexandria?
We've found plenty of openings now, and it looks like at least a few each month open up, but we're just looking for opinions from some people that may know first hand. We plan on moving in January '09 and will be needing a home to rent and a job associated with that degree.

Again, just a question (since self esteem is so low, maybe this will boost it?)

You should be able to find a job, I've seen quite a bit of openings in Shreveport & Alex. Lafayette, Lake Charles, Baton Rouge, & New Orleans. May have more openings than those areas. I work in this Field and have not had no problems finding work in the Lafayette area. Guess what I don't have low self esteem. I got all my education in the State of Louisiana and lived in different areas of the state, mostly south of the I-10 corridor.

Every part of the state has its own uniqueness and traditions that is what make this state so wonderful. You can go from one city to another city maybe 40 miles away and its so different from the one you just left, people, culture, traditions & ways of life.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:34 PM

3,071 posts, read 3,224,389 times
I actually love my state, but my hometown could use some improvement. Nothing happens here. Mardi Gras in my hometown is not the same anymore. It used to be sooo much nicer.

Old 09-16-2010, 08:48 PM

1,837 posts, read 4,354,687 times
Louisiana is made up of many very different people . To say that " Louisiana people are ..... " ( fill in the blank ) is silly .

Old 09-16-2010, 08:59 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,861,633 times
I have trouble believing that any state with food that good would have low self-esteem.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:08 AM

420 posts, read 479,062 times
Again, not to knock on my state but.....How many people who are obese and love food have a high self esteem? That's besides the fact you guys, I just wish people step up and be prideful, maybe we'd get more repect from outsiders if we stand up and take up for ourselves!

Old 09-17-2010, 06:20 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,326,091 times
Im fortunate I guess to be part asian and able to eat Louisiana's best food without gaining weight from it. I dont have the highest self esteem, but I would say I feel pretty damned good about myself lately.
I dont think Louisiana has a self esteem probem. It seems ot have a COMPLACENCY problem. Everything is "good enough" when it could realistically be better. The ironic thing about this situation is that many Louisianans wouldnt consider it a problem at all.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:09 PM

245 posts, read 455,341 times
Since this thread has found new legs....

No.

I find the opposite to be true. I believe places with the 'most' culture are those that have the highest self esteem. Were there no sense of esteem (by and large), there would be no celebration of those things that identfy the culture and make it unique. If anything, there are areas that could be criticized for being too prideful; as is reflected by their hearty embrace and perpetuation of their heritage.

Old 09-18-2010, 12:59 AM

432 posts, read 1,085,796 times
Just to be sure, as long as the definition of self esteem does not equate to the definition of self-loving narcissism, we're good.

Not a whole lot of that happening here. We just don't take ourselves that seriously...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Louisiana