Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area
 [Register]
Louisville area Jefferson County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 08:47 AM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
I think you disproved your point with those pictures
I guess beauty is in the eye of the beholder but can certainly see your point. Personally, I like Louisville's skyline better, but then, I'm biased.

Quote:
and making Louisville's pic twice as big (even though its skyline is less than half of Cincy's) didn't help your case.
I don't think that was intentional. I can't figure out how to size photos either. In any case, I don't think size really matters. (At least, I hope not!)

Quote:
the bridges are MUCH nice than Louisville's.
I do agree with you on that point. Our bridges are an ongoing thorn in our side.

I have to say that once we get our riverside stadium built, the museum building constructed and the riverfront park system finished, it's my opinion that our skyline will match up with just about any city our size.

Old 04-07-2008, 01:47 PM

1,448 posts, read 4,792,456 times
Here's what our skyline will look like when we get the stadium and Museum building done. My opinion is that the Humana Building and new Museum building are far more distinctive than anything Cincinnati has, but again, my bias could be showing.

http://governor.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/D7DDE69E-5FBF-46B3-AD71-1ECA1764DCB1/0/Skyline_wArena.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-07-2008, 02:20 PM

11,974 posts, read 25,480,204 times
Cincinnati's skyline is denser, I just think of the most of the buildings are very undistinctive. AEGON Center, Humana Building, EON, & Waterfront Place 1 & 2 are very modern and colorful.

While going into Cinci is spectacular from the KY side, you can hardly even see the skyline coming in from I-75 or I-71 in Ohio. Driving through Downtown Louisville is equally nice no matter which way you come in.

My point about Hamilton Co losing while Jefferson Co is gaining is that Louisville offers a safer and more vibrate urban living options near downtown than Cinci. Nearly all neighborhoods and even suburbs in Hamilton Co are losing population - especially middle class residents. Many of Louisville's most thriving and affluent areas are near downtown. Cinci's Ludlow Ave or Mt Adams is not even close to Louisville's Highlands or Frankfort Ave.

Old 04-07-2008, 07:20 PM

23 posts, read 164,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcm1986 View Post
Well, these are night views of the two skylines:

Cincinnati:
http://www.sfpe.org/upload/cincinnatiskyline.jpg (broken link)
(Link: http://www.thefastflush.com/images/c...ne-gem-med.jpg)

Cincinnati has the Carew Tower, the tallest building in this picture. Built in 1932 with Art Deco design, its top deck provides glamorous views of the developed valley of Cincinnati and Covington. It is just a gorgeous building on the inside. Its skyline provides diversity in both grand architecture and modern "corporatism" design. Oh yeah, that Roebling bridge on the left? Opened in 1865, it was the first bridge across the Ohio River into Kentucky; its cobblestone and suspension design complements Cincy's skyline better than if that bridge were in, say, Cleveland, Nashville, or...Louisville. Oh, if you look at the view from Cut-in-the-Hill in NKY after dark, it is very colorful and gorgeous!

Louisville:

(Link: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/30/41...7fcbc058f6.jpg)

No complaints, mate, about Louisville's skyline. It's beautiful in its own right, just not as historic and full of character. It is still architecturally diverse. Oh, wait...the Galt House structures are eu-u-u-u-gly. Everything else is fine.

Now this is what Louisville's skyline is supposed to look like after the completion of the new arena and Museum Plaza:

(Link: http://www.e-architect.co.uk/america...scom261007.jpg)

MAKES ME WANT TO PUKE! I can't believe there is so much support in Louisville behind this Museum Plaza. I guess I understand supporting the concept of it and continuing to revitalize downtown, but come on, it will look like an atrocious, "postmodern-in-a-past-era" ugly building in...2010, when it opens. It's about the ugliest thing I've seen since the MetLife building and Citibank tower in New York. Yuck!

Cincinnati's "The Banks":

(Link: http://www.cincinnatiport.org/bnks_2.jpg (broken link))

I'm sorry I could not find a better and virtual depiction of how The Banks will contribute to the Cincinnati skyline when it opens in 2010. However, while it will not add a massive "awe" factor to the skyline, it is essentially going south of Fort Washington Way and between Paul Brown Stadium and Great American Ballpark and building a brand new neighborhood in a former brownfield/parking lot conglomerate. This will add modern buildings with classic architecture to the forefront of Cincy's skyline, thereby making the view even more diverse from the Kentucky side.

Now, as for the metropolitan areas' growth, hmmmm...I didn't know Louisville was actually growing faster. I don't know if it's Humana, UPS, Citibank, or what. But, I guess the numbers are pretty accurate estimates. The urban service area, west of 7th St., is still pretty crime-ridden and losing population. The vast majority of the growth in Louisville proper (now all of Jefferson County) can be found in the eastern and southeastern suburbs and very concentrated downtown area. If the urban service area were still just the pre-merger City of Louisville, I'd be willing to wager that the population was down from 248,000 or so in 2000 to 235,000 or so today. Or, in other words...an inner-city population decline about as steep proportionally as Cincinnati's.

Cincinnati metro's growth is predominantly happening in Boone County, so you have that one county up there that's booming more than any other in Kentucky. Citibank has a huge calling center in Florence. CVG airport is one of the largest in the world in terms of passenger and cargo traffic and a huge industrial park has sprung up along KY 236 straddling the airport. Ashland Oil and (maybe) Vencor are based in Covington, Kenton Co. Newport in Campbell Co. is making a resurgence; the entire town has essentially cleaned up, revitalized itself, capitalized on its assets, and is building a large lifestyle center in a formerly dilapidated neighborhood. Cincy itself may be really struggling, but NKY is picking up the slack and then some.

Oh, and lastly:

(Credit: http://www.cincinnatiusa.com/Attract...tonSkyline.jpg)

The skyline of Covington, Kentucky. This includes a hotel, convention center, corporate headquarters, additional office space, and living quarters. All is adjacent to the Roebling Bridge and singles-friendly Mainstrasse. There's another 25-story-or-so office/condo complex going up near this cluster. I don't think you'll hear about any such project in Clarksville or Jeffersonville, IN anytime soon.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _____________________________

JCM...you mentioned the planned "Banks" project for Cincy. Have you also seen the new tower that is planned? I personally do not like what I have seen of it so far, but we'll see. Here's some info on it and some proposal pics of the new tower:

Planned Cincinnati Skyscraper Has Royal Inspiration - Money News Story - WLWT Cincinnati (http://www.wlwt.com/money/14925863/detail.html - broken link)

Also, info regarding projects being planned for Cincy

Massive Development Projects Underway(newest and tallest skyscraper?)

Also, I just want to say something to everyone else on this board from Louisville. I have not been trying to bash Louisville or push Cincinnati in anyway. I enjoy the time I spend in Louisville and I look forward to discovering more of your great city as time goes on.

I have always thought (so do many others up here) that Louisville is a sister city to Cincinnati. However, I feel that many people I have met from Louisville do not feel the same and seem to think that Cincinnati is trash. I wish we could all enjoy the best things each city as to offer and realize that all of our cities are great in their own way.

Last edited by melisann; 04-07-2008 at 08:35 PM..

Old 04-08-2008, 06:53 AM

241 posts, read 1,335,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by melisann View Post
Also, I just want to say something to everyone else on this board from Louisville. I have not been trying to bash Louisville or push Cincinnati in anyway. I enjoy the time I spend in Louisville and I look forward to discovering more of your great city as time goes on.

I have always thought (so do many others up here) that Louisville is a sister city to Cincinnati. However, I feel that many people I have met from Louisville do not feel the same and seem to think that Cincinnati is trash. I wish we could all enjoy the best things each city as to offer and realize that all of our cities are great in their own way.
I share your sentiment. Heck, with only about 90 miles separating the two, I find that they have a lot more in common than some of the comments in this thread would lead you to believe.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:33 PM

2,126 posts, read 6,804,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Off Topic View Post
Here's what our skyline will look like when we get the stadium and Museum building done. My opinion is that the Humana Building and new Museum building are far more distinctive than anything Cincinnati has, but again, my bias could be showing.

http://governor.ky.gov/NR/rdonlyres/D7DDE69E-5FBF-46B3-AD71-1ECA1764DCB1/0/Skyline_wArena.jpg (broken link)
I applaud the Museum Plaza for being daring, but I just really don't like the design. Plus, it is so seperated from the rest of the tall buildings, it makes the skyline look very unbalanced. If a buidling like the Museum Plaza was the 2nd or 3rd tallest building, I think the skyline would look great and I would probably like the building. But that building just dominates the skyline and not in a good way. Just my opinion. However, I do like a lot of the street level work I have read about that is accompanying this project.

Old 04-11-2008, 07:02 PM

7,070 posts, read 16,747,626 times
That image is actually dated....here is the new rendering, which shows the arena hotel has been scrapped. Also a new 400 plus footer will fill the gap between Museum Plaza and Humana building. All in all, it could be a solid 5 years before all these buildings are built with the tight credit market, unless Obama gets elected and turns it around:

Old 04-11-2008, 07:31 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,188,106 times
The future skyline looks interesting, but construction plans have been put on hold. Hard to say what will happen with the local economy which may keep these images nothing more than pleasant daydreams.
By keeping up with news of the current financial situation it may be best to put those dreams on hold. Louisville is tightening the belt in areas that indicate a slight desperation. EMS (Emergency Medical Services) is being cut back. Mental health centers closing. All to save money.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:28 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
I am sorry, but I stumbled upon this thread while looking in the general U.S. section. The amount of bashing on Cincinnati is amazing in here, and how you in Louisville think you are so much better, when Cincinnati offers so much more. Now, I am not saying everyone is, but cenusdata seems to be the leader here. You say how "ugly" Cincinnati's skyline is, but Louisville offers nothing. You are building that terrible looking building as your new tallest, what kind if person in their right mind would want that as their tallest?

Cincinnati is building its new tallest, and that is something to be proud of. Louisville offers nothing in historic architecture in the forms of Carew or the PNC building in Cincinnati. Cincinnati has an amazing riverfront, while Louisville has that nice park, but nothing in the forms of Cincinnati.

Your population growth is not that much faster than Cincy's. Louisville also annexed parts of Jefferson County, which boosted your population, but just like years before, after that boost, you once again began to decline with your new population. Cincinnati is not only growing with a metro population, but with all the new development downtown and across the city, the city itself is growing.

And what was with Cincinnati not having a "colorful" or modern skyline? If thats the case, where does Louisville stand? The Scripps Center in Cincinnati is very modern, and Cincy's skyline is probaly one of the best lite up at night in the nation.

No one in here, minus censusdata really bashed Cincinnati, but some of his/her comments are just astounding. The sugar coating of Louisville is amazing. Louisville offers a good amount of things, but Cincinnati has the lead, and will continue to do so. BTW, great news. The Banks Project broke last week, and Great American Building is expected to start in June, phase 1 is already finished.

Old 04-12-2008, 12:35 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,904,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc76 View Post
How about this, I will hold the state of Kentucky and its leadership accountable. For many years, the state has not properly educated its youth or provided jobs and opportunity for its citizens. It is not Cincinnati's fault that it provided something that KY didn't in the past. Young, talented people still leave KY in droves because there are not enough good jobs compared to other parts of the country. I went to engineering graduate school at UK and NOT ONE of the Kentuckians (including myself) that I went to school with stayed in the state after graduation. It wasn't because they didn't want to stay, it was because there is very little opportunity for the high tech sector compared to other regions. I love KY and it has beautiful landscapes and people, but I won't blindly beat the drum and believe that KY is the greatest place on earth. Thankfully, things have been changing in some parts of KY concerning economic opportunity, most notably Louisville, Lexington, NKY, Bowling Green...

I think you are VERY wrong concerning those that live on the southern side of the Cincy metro being ashamed of being from KY. I have found them to be among the most fiercely proud Kentuckians in the state. They routinely defend KY because many from the other side of the river spout stereotypes and look down upon KY. I think that has instilled a sense of solidarity among those that live in NKY. They are also by and large die hard UK fans up there. Being Reds and Bengals fans as well doesn't make you less of a Kentuckian.
Thank you, as much as I love Covington and Newport, it would not be there if it wasn't for Cincinnati. They look so good now too. Cincy could be on the same page as St. Louis with E. Saint Louis across the river making them look bad, but Covington has an up and coming skyline.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Kentucky > Louisville area