Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:49 AM

36 posts, read 176,013 times

Advertisements

Good morning,

I currently live in the coastal town of Guilford Connecticut. It is a fairly moderate climate, but I want to move someplace where the the air & water is clean, and life is more affordable since I live on a fixed income.

It is obviously cooler in Maine. From reading the forum, I wonder how folks manage the winters. Unfortunately, not much has been written that answers my nagging fears. I don't want to feel isolated from civilization and I still want the conveniences of obtaining groceries, things for the home, and medical access should the need arise.

I now there are warmer places, but since retiring I have realized I just love the ocean and love being near it. Tourists don't scare me, love fresh seafood and veggies which I suspect are available in abundance there.

I would appreciate any thoughts ... comments ... warnings ... and if possible, can you read my mind to give me the answer I'm looking for ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Default I should add ....

I guess I should add ...

What social activities are there during the winter ... or does everything hunker down ? Any live music at any establishments ? Dancing ? What kind of music ... if any.

Old 07-29-2010, 11:34 AM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
I lived in Northport for while, which is between Belfast and Camden on the coast. A lot of things close for the winter. However, people do live there year round, so of course he grocery stores and many restaurants are available at all times of the year. Rockland has a Walmart for household goods, there are local hardware stores, there is a Mardens in Belfast. Belfast has a hospital as does Rockland, and there are certainly medical practices around.

There are farm stands in summer, otherwise the produce is not "fresh" or local of course. Anything at Hannaford's in the winter would have been grown far away.

Having had young kids when we lived there, we weren't in tune with dancing/music too much. Hopefully someone will be along that can answer that part.

In short, living in Mid-coast Maine during winter can definitely be done just fine.

Last edited by lawmom; 07-29-2010 at 11:35 AM.. Reason: added

Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,666,326 times
I worked in Camden and commuted from Freeport daily for three years. They don't roll up the sidewalks in Camden in the winter though it is a far cry from what summer is like. The place I worked (Seadog Brewing Co.) has been replaced by another bar. We had some live music in the winter when I worked there but not often. It's hard to justify that thing in the winter as there is just barely enough local traffic to keep businesses open at all. Camden is lovely. It's a bit upscale compared with some of the other mid-coast towns with the old sea captains houses and the beautiful little harbor. It's a REAL toruist trap in the summer. Rivaled only by Bar Harbor and Freeport (LL Bean) as tourist destinations.
The surrounding towns inland are pretty rural and there are agricultural fairs nearby in the fall. I'd live in Camden, though come to think of it there aren't too many places in Maine I wouldn't live.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:40 PM

Default No Winter sports ?

I'm surprised. No Winter sports that attracts people ? That big mountain doesn't offer slopes ? I guess I was hoping that would bring in some sort of activity to the area. Not that I really do anything during the winter anyway, but it's nice to see signs of life out there.

I guess I'm also wondering if a snowmobile ends up having to be the second car. Having lived in the Berkshires in Mass, that was often the case.

Old 07-29-2010, 01:44 PM

What does Marden's of Belfast have ? Couldn't find a hit using google other than attourneys in Belfast.

Old 07-29-2010, 02:20 PM

3,468 posts, read 7,240,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WineFoodMusic View Post
I'm surprised. No Winter sports that attracts people ? That big mountain doesn't offer slopes ? I guess I was hoping that would bring in some sort of activity to the area. Not that I really do anything during the winter anyway, but it's nice to see signs of life out there.

I guess I'm also wondering if a snowmobile ends up having to be the second car. Having lived in the Berkshires in Mass, that was often the case.
If you are talking of the Camden Snowbowl, it's on the coast. There isn't a lot of snow,for great commercial purposes, on the coast. People who live on the coast and have snowmobiles, usually trailer them inland to meet up with the trail system.

Old 07-29-2010, 03:10 PM

2,272 posts, read 6,668,304 times
Mardens is just a discount store that has some clothes and some house hold goods. I was never all that impressed, but it has some things. You must have found Jeremy Marden, Esq.? Good to know he's still practicing around there...

As for snow/winter sports, as stated, it's not a big ski area because the mountain is not that big and there isn't the amount of snow that you'd see inland. You don't need a snowmobile to get around, however. I lived in the Berkshires one winter and since it's not on the coast, it's likely to get more snow than Midcoast Maine.

Old 07-29-2010, 06:15 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,694,928 times
I moved to Camden last summer. I don't ski, but I do know that friends of my daughter's ski all the time at the Snow Bowl during winter. I think they make a lot of snow there.

I don't think there is a Marden's in Belfast, but there is a nice new remodeled Reny's. It's huge and has a lot of good deals. I've never been to a Marden's before, so I don't really know what the difference is between the two. (Just checked the Marden's website, and there is one in Ellsworth, but not Belfast.)

Personally, I love Camden, but Belfast is also great. And Rockport is very nice too. Guess I'm not much help. Sorry!

Old 07-29-2010, 07:02 PM

Default Question for LoveMaine

LoveMaine .... your from Camden and may be of help.

1. The question concerns walking along the coast in Camden. I would be 'considering a place in town maybe a few blocks from the coast.
I like to go for a walk on balmy Summer evenings along the coast. Can you park your car close to the water and go walking along the coast in Camden ? Here in Connecticut, that is practically impossible. No parking allowed on the streets near the coast. You have to know somebody and park on their property. Just curious what the situation is in Camden. I can't afford a place right on the water, but I would still want to enjoy the coast.

2. Second question. Why did you choose Camden and why do you love it ? What makes Camden so special ? Your insight may be helpful to me.

I also have a general question about Camden. I hear it is very picturesque. Being a photography buff myself, I would think there would be a lot more pictures available of the town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine