Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2011, 04:50 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,747 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Funny, I follow the Delaware forum and there is a thread about cancer rates in Delaware as well. People were alarmed about the cancer rates there. So, I guess it could be any state.
For all cancers, adjusted for age, for the period 2003-2007:

Maine: 522.6 cases for every 100,000 people

Delaware: 511.4 cases for every 100,000 people

Maine is still higher than Delaware.

Source: State Cancer Profiles Home Page
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 PM

1,064 posts, read 2,032,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movintime View Post
I see this everywhere I research but no one has clear ideas yet why. Anyone live here & can comment on chemicals, or other pollution or environmental issues? Is it genetics of Mainers, or both environs & genes? Thanks for any info on this. My g/f & I love Maine, & consider it to move eventually, but these rates scare me a bit.

We love the coastal areas alot but this is where highest rates are? This doesn't make sense but it seems true from data I've seen.

Wow, look at this Map: Map - State Cancer Profiles

For all types of cancers, for all races and both sexes, and adjusted for age, the whole Northeast Coast from Maine to Delaware has the highest cancer rates in the country.

Is there something in ocean water?

Old 07-06-2011, 05:12 PM

37,453 posts, read 61,373,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OutDoorNut View Post
For all cancers, adjusted for age, for the period 2003-2007:

Maine: 522.6 cases for every 100,000 people

Delaware: 511.4 cases for every 100,000 people

Maine is still higher than Delaware.
522.6/100k = 0.005226 or 0.52%, 1/2 of 1% chance

as compared to
511.4/100k = 0.005114 or 0.51%, 1/2 of 1% chance

I think it more likely that a person will be audited by the IRS, or fly on a commercial airline with a drunken pilot.

Old 07-06-2011, 05:16 PM

35 posts, read 69,525 times
From the same site, tab on interpretation:

"There are many possible explanations for geographic variations in cancer mortality rates including differences in lifestyles, medical care availability and delivery systems, screening practices, reporting practices, environmental exposures, etc. Elevated rates in some areas may also be due to chance, particularly for relatively rare cancers and in areas with small populations. For more information on geographic variations and cancer clusters, see http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/factsheet/Risk/clusters and http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/clusters/faq.htm"

I do know that the Northeast has more comprehensive and reliable reporting mechanisms than many other parts of the country but I would think that is only a partial explanation.

Old 07-07-2011, 11:28 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,789,983 times
Take vitamin D every day.(We take 1000iu but consult your doctor first.) Don't drink bottled water, or heat up food in the microwave in anything plastic. Women should consume only 3 drinks a week max to cut there risk of breast ca. Animal products especially in fast food contribute to many cancers. I love fish and eat it 2 to 3x a week, we also take cod liver oil pills and a flaxseed every day. We have a filter for our water as it comes from dirty lake Michigan. Most important stay fit. You can do everything right and if it's in the genes you're probably going to get it anyway. I'm not afraid to move to Maine. For me it's quality over quantity.

Old 07-07-2011, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
Take vitamin D every day.(We take 1000iu but consult your doctor first.) Don't drink bottled water, or heat up food in the microwave in anything plastic. Women should consume only 3 drinks a week max to cut there risk of breast ca. Animal products especially in fast food contribute to many cancers. I love fish and eat it 2 to 3x a week, we also take cod liver oil pills and a flaxseed every day. We have a filter for our water as it comes from dirty lake Michigan. Most important stay fit. You can do everything right and if it's in the genes you're probably going to get it anyway. I'm not afraid to move to Maine. For me it's quality over quantity.
Gotta be careful how much fish you eat.

The last I read was two servings / month.

Old 07-07-2011, 06:07 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,197 times
Interesting. Good question and certainly this stuff has to be looked at carefully. However, I am surprised no one appears to have mentioned nuclear power. Maps of Nuclear Plants and Reactor Locations. Zip Code locator feature.

This map just happens to show non-power, as well a power. (so can ignore adverts) Storage of waste or other items is a whole other matter. There is much evidence that shows issues w/ by-products and long term repeating contamination. However, it is interesting that in the mainstream media unless you really start to look and study nuclear research you will not hear it being discussed as a cause for cancer. Of course, radiation contamination can be hard to detect, especially if you aren't specifically doing regular test for it, particularly in food and water.

I have seen studies showing trends in cancer from nuclear "age" inception and in relation to n. plants. However, radiation studies have shown that radiation exposure can cause many other health problems, as well, not just cancer.

This was interesting culmination. Also concerning that a spike in Pacific NW of 35% in infant mortality was recently observed during Japan fallout and another larger one I believe, elsewhere in US. Unfortunately, any kind of radiation is a potential danger and it is the "gift that keeps on giving" for many generations.

http://www.ens-newswire.com/ens/apr2...-04-26-01.html

Last edited by CDusr; 07-07-2011 at 06:31 PM..

Old 07-07-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDusr View Post
Interesting. Good question and certainly this stuff has to be looked at carefully. However, I am surprised no one appears to have mentioned nuclear power.
Did you happen to notice that your posting in the 'Maine' sub-forum?

Quote:
... Maps of Nuclear Plants and Reactor Locations. Zip Code locator feature.

This map just happens to show non-power, as well a power. (so can ignore adverts) Storage of waste or other items is a whole other matter.
Wooo there cowboy.

I have seen the site your pushing before and just to make sure I checked again.

It does not show all Nuclear power plants currently operating in the USA.

In fact I know of four clusters of operating nuc plants that are not shown on that map [really make that six, but I have only worked at four of them].

Also the last three nuc plants that I worked on [granted they are not currently operating, but they can not be disassembled yet awaiting the politicians to allow for their clean-up and recycling], are also not shown on that map. I check the satellite photos of them now and again to see if they have ever moved. But not yet. The last plant I worked on has been sitting and waiting for recycling since 1993, clearly visible from the sky, at INL.

Then as a separate issue are the Nuc Weaps storage facilities.

Then the Continental US Nuc test sites. I was a member of two different crews who launched some of those warheads, so I am relatively familiar with the concept of just how many nucs we have blown on this continent. I would suggest that anyone looking at such a map would be well advised to keep in mind those areas where we have been blasting nucs.

Well back to the OP, remember Maine cancer

Old 07-07-2011, 07:23 PM

8,483 posts, read 6,930,197 times
I was aware of where I was posting and what the subject was, yes.

I am not pushing anything. It may well be that map isn't completely accurate. Please feel free to correct any inaccuracies w/ another map. I mentioned that it simply included non-power and power and to ignore adverts.

I think cancer rates anywhere is a serious subject worthy of being discussed.

From what I learned from my own research I was simply pointing out no mention of nuclear radiation contamination in this discussion. Many other scientists and experts have also found links.

Up to people to do their own research and make up their own minds, of course.

Old 07-07-2011, 08:06 PM

2,427 posts, read 3,564,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
Are there any specific stats that account for age groups..

I believe that genitics have much to do with disease as anything.. knowing your family history and acess to healt care can make a big difference.. and if you know you might be prone to something changing your lifestyle might help delay it or lesson the severity??..

I would agree that Maine is an older state... Maine is also poorer then many other states and being poor brings a host of other issues like smoking, drinking, poor diet, lack of availability to health care, and probably most important... stress.. Stress causes many health conditions.. I have also been hearing that in the northeast (or north) in general that we ALL suffer from a vitamine diffeciency due to the short days half the year..

I try and take things in stride... drink once in while, even smoke a tobacco product once in a great while.. food is my only weakness... But I try to eat plenty of fruits and veggies to balance all the other crap I am eating... and I "TRY" to maintain a low stress life.. I also take a daily vitamine and a low dose asperine..
Stress is not always a good thing, but how do you get rid of it?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine