Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2011, 05:00 PM

75 posts, read 196,940 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumiwa View Post
I agree not just mainers but...

I was a "beekeeper" long time ago and I know how was difficult to sell honey. Ask yourself how much people spent yearly for hone? 20, 50, 100$ And now ask yourself how much spent yearly for beer, wine, liquor???

Thanks.
Odd.....I just spent $37. a 4 pack of limited Long Trail Triple bag beer, 6lbs of honey and a pack of champaign yeast. The yeast and 5 lbs of honey are going into my cider to make 6 gallons of hard cider.

It's not that people don't want honey....you just didn't know how to market it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2011, 05:20 AM

3,036 posts, read 5,890,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The-Raven View Post
Odd.....I just spent $37. a 4 pack of limited Long Trail Triple bag beer, 6lbs of honey and a pack of champaign yeast. The yeast and 5 lbs of honey are going into my cider to make 6 gallons of hard cider.

Wow.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:04 AM

341 posts, read 641,674 times
Quote:

What I wanted to tell is that many times is spending money for health (organic food and so on...) is a problem but for smoking and drinking is not a problem.

BTW I sold all my honey every year.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:17 AM

399 posts, read 855,073 times
Such well presented facts and advice all of which is very true and helpful. I think we are becomming an extremely inactive society and unless you go to a gym or work in a somewhat physical job, we do not get enough exercise. And technologically we are at an advantage but that has removed a lot of the work. The other night I asked my daughter to call her friend but she didn't have her cell phone and therefore did not know the number. I asked another family member what time it was and there was only a regular clock (no digital) and they couldn't tell me! I was shocked.

I think we are all becomming more cognizant of what we put into our bodies these days (I have drastically cut my McDonald's runs). It was always a joke that the car drove itself into the fast food restaurant by itself, but not anymore. It has actually become a life or death decision I think. Cutting the portion size is an excellent idea thereby eating more veggies. They have just discovered that some types of greens do not fully deteriorate in our digestive system and it eventually flows as microscopic particles throughout our bloodstream. Scientsts are thinking of altering the greens to carry an array of anti-oxidents in order to fight disease in a more direct fashion.

With regard to organic foods and price, whenever I visit a Whole Foods I never see many families shopping there. All the customers seem to be older, perhaps retired individuals without many mouths to feed. I could never do that as I had 3 kids and that would have been just too cost prohibitive. I want to eat that way and now that the kids are gone I am trying to eat better, at least until that first truckload of oil gets delivered.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:05 AM

6,631 posts, read 13,547,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
With regard to organic foods and price, whenever I visit a Whole Foods I never see many families shopping there. All the customers seem to be older, perhaps retired individuals without many mouths to feed. I could never do that as I had 3 kids and that would have been just too cost prohibitive. I want to eat that way and now that the kids are gone I am trying to eat better, at least until that first truckload of oil gets delivered.
Have you ever noticed how much processed food there is at Whole Foods?

Old 10-13-2011, 10:15 AM

399 posts, read 855,073 times
I have checked out some of the items at Whole Foods and the fat and salt content is right up there. I am lucky in that my wife tries to cook without salt and of course has switched from all the old fats to olive oil but my blood sugar is sky high. There are so many factors involved in proper nutrition like carbs, fats, and sugars. How does one eat every day without turning every bite into a long drawn out process?

Old 10-13-2011, 03:24 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by halfabuck View Post
Such well presented facts and advice all of which is very true and helpful. I think we are becomming an extremely inactive society and unless you go to a gym or work in a somewhat physical job, we do not get enough exercise. And technologically we are at an advantage but that has removed a lot of the work. The other night I asked my daughter to call her friend but she didn't have her cell phone and therefore did not know the number. I asked another family member what time it was and there was only a regular clock (no digital) and they couldn't tell me! I was shocked.

I think we are all becomming more cognizant of what we put into our bodies these days (I have drastically cut my McDonald's runs). It was always a joke that the car drove itself into the fast food restaurant by itself, but not anymore. It has actually become a life or death decision I think. Cutting the portion size is an excellent idea thereby eating more veggies. They have just discovered that some types of greens do not fully deteriorate in our digestive system and it eventually flows as microscopic particles throughout our bloodstream. Scientsts are thinking of altering the greens to carry an array of anti-oxidents in order to fight disease in a more direct fashion.

I didnt go to mcdonalds for about 8 years, but then i stopped for a coffee, and could get a large for a dollar- being the cheap bastard i am, i havent been back to dunkin donuts
but, while at mcdonalds,,, the senses kick in, and i start ordering off the dollar menu

and I have a bad sweet tooth, im in stores all day long, and it's a wonder i dont weigh 300 lbs

I use to get on health and exercise kicks, in the past, I read one book, called fit or fat....showed all the health foods, and proteins,,, I started eating tuna fish and broccoli/spinach/fruits and nuts- and drinking a gallon of water a day
yep, it's certainly better than the sweets and bacon I was eating before, but I was always hungry- couldnt feel "full" even with the brown rice
the exercising helped out alot, and drinking mega amounts of water
did i feel better?? I lost some weight,,,,,almost down to my ideal weight
but damn, was i craving a blizzard and a rib-eye

I ate like a rabbit for almost 4 months.... then switched gears, went on the atkins diet,,,,felt much better and kept the weight off, slept better and I could relax.

went to whole foods once, bought an orange,,for 2 dollars, the same orange hannaford had on sale for 2/1.00

Old 10-13-2011, 03:28 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,202,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
then switched gears, went on the atkins diet,,,,felt much better and kept the weight off, slept better and I could relax.

went to whole foods once, bought an orange,,for 2 dollars, the same orange hannaford had on sale for 2/1.00
I agree about Atkins. Lost tons of weight and have never felt better in my life. The first two weeks are tough, but after that it's great.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:54 PM

75 posts, read 196,940 times
People with kids should consider CSAs. One local one gives 20lbs per week of potatoes+additional veggies. I know kids hate veggies, but I look at it like this. If a kid won't eat what's offered, they can starve. They will eventually eat as the hunger pains will win. People who give into kids whining are asking for trouble.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:02 PM

783 posts, read 1,575,710 times
Quote:
People with kids should consider CSAs. One local one gives 20lbs per week of potatoes+additional veggies. I know kids hate veggies, but I look at it like this. If a kid won't eat what's offered, they can starve. They will eventually eat as the hunger pains will win. People who give into kids whining are asking for trouble.
Wow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine