Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 06:17 AM

145 posts, read 338,729 times

Advertisements

I grew up in New York..New York for goodness sake. The diversity capital. There was more racism and riots in the outskirts like Brooklyn, Queens and the Bronx than I care to remember.Manhattan was an exception..very accepting of everything. The pockets of ethnic groups stuck together and I think the real basis for racism is a fear of a certain culture and way of life disappearing. I was involved for many years with someone outside my race and experienced firsthand how ignorant people can be.We all can fall victim to our own ignorance, though. The best remedy for racism is to actually get to know a person and you realize that we're all just PEOPLE. It's the same for outsiders, treehuggers, race, religion...I think there's a saying to never judge a man until you've walked a mile in his shoes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2007, 01:18 PM

7,727 posts, read 12,387,188 times
Dramamama, here is where I got the info
eMedicine - Multiple Sclerosis : Article by Marjorie Lazoff, MD ,

Old 09-30-2007, 02:06 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,085,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by raygabs View Post
The pockets of ethnic groups stuck together and I think the real basis for racism is a fear of a certain culture and way of life disappearing. I was involved for many years with someone outside my race and experienced firsthand how ignorant people can be.
I think it is "instinctive" for similar people to congregate together. I would say that this instinct dates back to primitive times. Similar people felt comfortable within the group, it was safety and survival. Outsiders who were "different" represented danger and were distrusted.

People focus on "race" because it is an easily distinguishable characteristic, but really, *any* difference can evoke the same response- the way you look, the way you talk, religion, who you know, rich vs. poor- even as has been discussed in regards to "native Mainuhs" as opposed to people "from away".

Old 09-30-2007, 03:46 PM

145 posts, read 338,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
I think it is "instinctive" for similar people to congregate together. I would say that this instinct dates back to primitive times. Similar people felt comfortable within the group, it was safety and survival. Outsiders who were "different" represented danger and were distrusted.

People focus on "race" because it is an easily distinguishable characteristic, but really, *any* difference can evoke the same response- the way you look, the way you talk, religion, who you know, rich vs. poor- even as has been discussed in regards to "native Mainuhs" as opposed to people "from away".
you got it, Z!

Old 09-30-2007, 03:48 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,104,828 times
good post Zymer!

Old 10-01-2007, 06:09 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,522,024 times
Default Msina

Thanks for the link!

Old 07-18-2013, 06:11 AM

1 posts, read 1,075 times
It doesn't matter what your "race " is.

If you move to central or northern Maine you will always be a flatlander to some local folks.

Mainers are more xenophobic than racist.

Old 07-18-2013, 06:22 AM
JWK

54 posts, read 45,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by editec View Post
It doesn't matter what your "race " is.

If you move to central or northern Maine you will always be a flatlander to some local folks.

Mainers are more xenophobic than racist.
You drag a six year old thread up to say this? You have two posts as of my posting this. The other one is to respond to another useless thread on homosexuality being a population control method over in the Bangor forum.

What exactly are your motives?

Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,236,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnykay View Post
You drag a six year old thread up to say this? You have two posts as of my posting this. The other one is to respond to another useless thread on homosexuality being a population control method over in the Bangor forum.

What exactly are your motives?
maybe he's in the media,,,they love to throw gas on a fire,,,,and watch it burn from a distance..

Old 07-19-2013, 05:07 AM

885 posts, read 1,495,773 times
I was wondering the same thing...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine