Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 07:54 AM

46 posts, read 139,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandT View Post
Well stephenw, even here in the greater San Francisco area, there are a fair number of racist white people, and racist black people, philipino people........etc. I've found the greater Portland area to be very much a live-and-let-live community.
And I thought San Francisco was a "come as you are" kind of town. I guess that doesn't mean they can't dislike what you are. How is it live and let live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2007, 08:54 AM

106 posts, read 454,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenw View Post
And I thought San Francisco was a "come as you are" kind of town. I guess that doesn't mean they can't dislike what you are. How is it live and let live?
Its more or less the attitude of people in Maine that if you dont bother me I wont bother you. Its not to say that people wont help you out when you need it though. If you dont cause someone grief then they will do the same for you.

In some pockets of Maine there is still the old school thinking when it comes to different races living here. But that is very rare these days. Most of that mentality comes from the state being 99% white. Ive always wished, along with many others, that the state was more racially diverse.

Old 08-17-2007, 05:54 PM

27 posts, read 76,219 times
Relax, all of you. With so many white people adopting children of all races, there are now many "interracial families" (and yes, in Maine too). The towns you mentioned moving to are upscale with intelligent and enlightened folks living there. There is also a Naval base in Brunswick so there is much racial diversity in the area since those sailors come from all over. In short answer, yes, Maine is predominately white, but I don't see racial intolerance. People seem to judge others by their actions and deeds, not by their color. So bring your lovely family, the towns you've chosen are beautiful places to live.

Old 08-17-2007, 11:45 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,579,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenw View Post
lol - so I'm a half black dude looking to move to Maine too. I mean, who doesn't like half black dudes? Well, I'm also half white. Point is, if I move to Maine, I don't want to get treated like a freak or weird or out of place. I know Maine has a whole mess a' white people, but are they racist white people?
Nah you wouldnt have any problems Maine people are pretty quiet and tolerant

Old 08-18-2007, 08:31 AM

228 posts, read 221,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HandT View Post
Exiled Mainiac (18 years) presently living in California. Considering moving back to Midcoast (Camden, Rockland, Brunswick,etc.) I have an interracial marriage and children. Any candid comments regarding tolerance or potential lack thereof?
Oh come on Mainer's doesn't even have tolerance for whites that are outsider's!!!!And believe me there never really going to tell you the truth!This is called VACATIONLAND not COME HERE AND BY OUR LAND!!!If you have money come here for a couple of week's and spend it but don't move here if your Black, White or Orange!!!People may get upset with me but in your hearts you know I"m right.Sad but true.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:29 AM

169 posts, read 551,048 times
so here it is......

it ain't that LTTT don't know nawthin....its jus he knows so much stuff that ain't so........stop being an illiterate dolt!

Old 08-18-2007, 09:49 AM

7,727 posts, read 12,396,072 times
Speaking from EXPERIENCE as a person in a very MIXED marriage. I have NEVER encountered any overt racism. I'm glad to say we know more people that are welcoming, warm and honest with us, in Maine than in racially diverse Massachusetts. The cure for ignorance is education. When you are a friend to others, you find that friendship returned to you.

Old 08-18-2007, 09:50 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contented View Post
so here it is......

it ain't that LTTT don't know nawthin....its jus he knows so much stuff that ain't so........stop being an illiterate dolt!
I think it's just his way of getting his attention fix. Maybe if we quit giving him what he needs, he'll disappear!

And LTTT, don't bother responding to me - I have you on ignore and can't see your posts!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:01 AM

5,054 posts, read 12,435,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
Speaking from EXPERIENCE as a person in a very MIXED marriage. I have NEVER encountered any overt racism. I'm glad to say we know more people that are welcoming, warm and honest with us, in Maine than in racially diverse Massachusetts. The cure for ignorance is education. When you are a friend to others, you find that friendship returned to you.
It's funny you say that. In Texas, about as racially diverse a state as you'll ever find, racism runs rampant. In our community of 8500, the biggest problem in the high school every year is ongoing race wars. It's a HUGE problem here. And the thing I don't understand is that it's not white against black, as is so common elsewhere. Here, it's the black kids and the Hispanic kids. And the white kids are chicken and try their best to stay WAY out of it! There is a lot of horrendous violence for such a small community. We've had many kids hurt very badly. It's not even safe to go the bathroom in our Jr. High and High School. It's crazy.

My girls are going into kindergarten and first grade this year, and we don't intend for them to attend another year in these schools. According to some of the local teachers my mother is friends with, by grades 2-4, they are already learning racism and sexual harrassment, and it's imperative for us to get them out of here by the end of this school year. The very thought frightens me!

Anyway, I think it's pretty nice that in a place where minorities are truly the minority, there is so much more acceptance. You'd think it would be just the opposite. Go Maine!

Old 08-18-2007, 10:09 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,758,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msina View Post
So well said MSNIA. I also speak from experience in a very mixed marriage...while living in Maine we also never encountered any overt racisom. My husband always said that he could have been from anywhere, Mars, Timbuktu, South Pacific, and he was still viewed as FROM AWAY!!!!! Either from Maine or from away- the only 2 categories that matter- the only type of classification!!! SO much better than to be judged on race, religion, ethnicity etc.

That being said, the BEST friends in his life were those he made while living and working in Maine. Once accepted, you remain a friend for life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine