Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 01:54 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,141 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingrich View Post
The Federal National Parks are well run and are a treasure to the Nation.
..and usually contain some national treasure...I don't see one on the Quimby land. As someone said if she wants her land protected, give it to Baxter, extend the boundaries of the State Park. As for the three rivers, there might be some canoeing in the Spring, but if they are counting the East Branch and Sebois, there isn't enough water to canoe past July most years.

I'm not against a Federal Park, I'm against the scam being put out there that this is such a special place. Lived here all my life and haven't noticed it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 03:00 PM

18,356 posts, read 26,488,295 times
Well it is a special place, but not in the way of a Yellowstone or Glacier. It's a vast area that has always been freely open to people to hunt, trap, fish, explore, etc., while also supporting some forestry related jobs. In other words, it's a place the locals and visitors can truly enjoy in multiple ways. A national park would end that. The management style of the NPS is completely out of place up there. I don't foresee it being a draw as a national park. Baxter is a draw but most people go there for Katahdin, large portions of that park (the portions that resemble the Quimby lands) almost never see a visitor. The only federal lands that would retain even remotely what is there now would be a national forest, but that wouldn't be perfect.

Old 04-16-2014, 03:58 PM

48,116 posts, read 21,997,640 times
On Sanibel Island down here in Florida there is the Dink Darling National Wildlife Sanctuary. A Sanctuary is different from a nat park in that it is for the preservation of the birds and animals. Fishing is allowed. Most of the land is not open or accessible. There is a nature viewing road that is open to the public and to a privately owned tour company that has open shuttle buses with naturalists. There is also a museum and walking trails and privately owned kayak rentals. It is very popular with tourists and birders who come from around the world to visit it.

It is a very busy place, we have lived here for 2 years and have visited it and taken the tour 4 times .... with each company that comes to our house. Everyone Loves it. We also always stop to eat out when we go over....at local restaurants. Others stay over in cottages and rent bikes etc.

Dink Darling National Wildlife Sanctuary is a definite economic plus for the area. I believe every National Park is a benefit to its host community.....Most of us have visited a National Park....Yosemite or Mammoth Caves, Grand Canyon, Yellowstone....etc and realize how special they are....and what a wonderful job the government does in maintaining the park and providing access to the public for enjoyment. Most of us have spent vacation money while there.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:15 PM

973 posts, read 2,381,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well it is a special place, but not in the way of a Yellowstone or Glacier. It's a vast area that has always been freely open to people to hunt, trap, fish, explore, etc., while also supporting some forestry related jobs. In other words, it's a place the locals and visitors can truly enjoy in multiple ways. A national park would end that.
The majority of the North Maine woods fit that description. It was only after Quimby bought her parcels that it changed. I know folks who had beautiful cabins on leased land that had their leases revoked by Quimby and had to tear down their place after she purchased the land. Yes, she now owns it and has the right to do as she sees fit, but please don't tell me she's such a kind thoughtful person. It should say a lot when the folks living near this don't like the idea. If it ever comes to be it will be because the Beautiful People living somewhere else decide what's best for us up this way. I've seen that show before. To quote Charlie Pray who used to be the President of the Maine Senate and from Millinocket..."Trees don't vote". So those of us amongst the trees will be overruled.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:55 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,678,521 times
"The Federal National Parks are well run and are a treasure to the Nation."

I can't believe this person has had much exposure to the federal government if it seems to be "well run". They spent over a million dollars developing a ball point pen that would work in zero gravity. The Russians simply used an off the shelf mechanical pencil.

Over a hundred years ago the Teddy Roosevelt fad resulted in the displacement of whole towns to buy up forest land as "national forests". They did the same thing in Russia, but our country actually has a Constitution. The stated purpose of national forests was to ensure a good supply of timber and water power for industry. National forests are not being used for their intended purpose. They are viewed as potential national parks and most are run as such. They are not well run.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:03 PM

29 posts, read 36,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Well it is a special place, but not in the way of a Yellowstone or Glacier. It's a vast area that has always been freely open to people to hunt, trap, fish, explore, etc., while also supporting some forestry related jobs. In other words, it's a place the locals and visitors can truly enjoy in multiple ways. A national park would end that. The management style of the NPS is completely out of place up there. I don't foresee it being a draw as a national park. Baxter is a draw but most people go there for Katahdin, large portions of that park (the portions that resemble the Quimby lands) almost never see a visitor. The only federal lands that would retain even remotely what is there now would be a national forest, but that wouldn't be perfect.

Why would a National Park "end that." I don't understand. A National Park would enhance access and increase the public's knowledge of the natural resources and beauty of the area. It would open up the area to people who otherwise would never go there. This also would be a big economic boon to the area; all the goods and services needed for increased tourism. What is the problem with this?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:10 PM

29 posts, read 36,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

I can't believe this person has had much exposure to the federal government if it seems to be "well run". They spent over a million dollars developing a ball point pen that would work in zero gravity. The Russians simply used an off the shelf mechanical pencil.

Over a hundred years ago the Teddy Roosevelt fad resulted in the displacement of whole towns to buy up forest land as "national forests". They did the same thing in Russia, but our country actually has a Constitution. The stated purpose of national forests was to ensure a good supply of timber and water power for industry. National forests are not being used for their intended purpose. They are viewed as potential national parks and most are run as such. They are not well run.

That old "waste, fraud and abuse" argument is really old and tired. Yes, the government wastes money, all governments do, state, local and federal. So what? The National Parks ARE the treasures of this Country. "A good supply of timber and water power" should be from private lands and that argument is not relevant to National Parks which are for recreation and to preserve beauty and natural resources for future generations. And what does "Russia" have to do with this? Geez!!!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 07:13 PM

506 posts, read 683,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
The problem I see with your argument is the land in question isn't like any of those you mention. It's a black fly infested piece of ground that has one thing going for it. You can see Mt Katahdin. What's so special about that ground anyway? There is nothing I am aware of to draw tourists. They might be fooled into coming once, but the business to be in would be motel operator in Millinocket because they probably won't spend one full day in the woods during fly season.
Aren't there bugs in other National Parks as well???.....LOL.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
..and usually contain some national treasure...I don't see one on the Quimby land. As someone said if she wants her land protected, give it to Baxter, extend the boundaries of the State Park. As for the three rivers, there might be some canoeing in the Spring, but if they are counting the East Branch and Sebois, there isn't enough water to canoe past July most years.

I'm not against a Federal Park, I'm against the scam being put out there that this is such a special place. Lived here all my life and haven't noticed it.
You seem to really hate it there. Why don't you move?

Old 04-16-2014, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post

Have you visited all of them?

You dislike the Federal Government.......period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine