Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2014, 07:21 PM

506 posts, read 684,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingrich View Post
Why would a National Park "end that." I don't understand. A National Park would enhance access and increase the public's knowledge of the natural resources and beauty of the area. It would open up the area to people who otherwise would never go there. This also would be a big economic boon to the area; all the goods and services needed for increased tourism. What is the problem with this?
No sense in trying to get a straight answer out of those that have a strong dislike (hatred?) for the Federal Government. Our National Park System is one of the few things that they have done well.......for decades. Unfortunately, politics will probably eventually put an end to our National Parks and they will all end up in the hands of corporations. That will make Northern Maine Land Man and his friends happy. He probably works for Canadian corporation Irving.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
That old "waste, fraud and abuse" argument is really old and tired. Yes, the government wastes money, all governments do, state, local and federal. So what? The National Parks ARE the treasures of this Country. "A good supply of timber and water power" should be from private lands and that argument is not relevant to National Parks which are for recreation and to preserve beauty and natural resources for future generations. And what does "Russia" have to do with this? Geez!!!!!
Just another paper tiger.

Old 04-16-2014, 08:17 PM

973 posts, read 2,382,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
Aren't there bugs in other National Parks as well???.....LOL.
I used to work in those woods peeling poplar trees with a bark spud...you have no clue what the insect infestation is in those woods in June...Come on up...the weather is fine...

Old 04-16-2014, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysmith View Post
I used to work in those woods peeling poplar trees with a bark spud...you have no clue what the insect infestation is in those woods in June...Come on up...the weather is fine...
I would never go there in June.......I would visit August-October.

Old 04-17-2014, 03:47 AM

973 posts, read 2,382,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHeartMaine View Post
I would never go there in June.......I would visit August-October.
So I guess those of us working in the trinket shop can live on food stamps until you and your buds come for a visit in August-Oct...kind of think you are making my point. You want to make a playground out of our world so you will have a potential playground to use at your whim...but come check it out first...it might not be as special as you think.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:14 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
Why would a National Park "end that." I don't understand. A National Park would enhance access and increase the public's knowledge of the natural resources and beauty of the area. It would open up the area to people who otherwise would never go there. This also would be a big economic boon to the area; all the goods and services needed for increased tourism. What is the problem with this?
Because most of that is banned in national parks. It won't enhance access, it will increase regulations and restrictions on access. Permits and passes to access and do anything. Right now most of the northern Maine woods are open to the public for a variety of things. Hunting, snowmobiling, trapping, fishing, and so forth. You can't really improve on the access that already exists.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:16 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,503,289 times
Quote:
That old "waste, fraud and abuse" argument is really old and tired. Yes, the government wastes money, all governments do, state, local and federal. So what? The National Parks ARE the treasures of this Country. "A good supply of timber and water power" should be from private lands and that argument is not relevant to National Parks which are for recreation and to preserve beauty and natural resources for future generations. And what does "Russia" have to do with this? Geez!!!!!
You're mixing up national forests and national parks. The two are not the same at all.

Old 04-17-2014, 04:51 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Those who argue against the gov. buying land to set it aside to create national parks for the enjoyment of generations of Americans..... are often in favor of the same government taking private land to give to private industry e.g.. the pipeline.

Old 04-17-2014, 05:26 AM

29 posts, read 36,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
Because most of that is banned in national parks. It won't enhance access, it will increase regulations and restrictions on access. Permits and passes to access and do anything. Right now most of the northern Maine woods are open to the public for a variety of things. Hunting, snowmobiling, trapping, fishing, and so forth. You can't really improve on the access that already exists.

The "public" meaning the traveling public, US citizens and foreign visitors do not even know about the area or have the knowledge of what is there. A National Park would open up that area to spread the knowledge of what to see, to do, the animals, plant life, hiking, fishing, etc. That is what I was saying by improving access. A National Park would not encompass ALL of the northern Maine woods, so obviously plenty of land would be left just as it is now to be used as you mention.

Old 04-17-2014, 06:10 AM

48,146 posts, read 22,010,341 times
Access?

How many Americans and world tourists would have ever seen Yellowstone, Yosemite, Grand Canyon, and all the other popular parks.....if they hadn't been made National Parks? A fraction of the millions of people who have visited, and learned and stood in awe at the power and majesty of nature. I have always been proud to be American and to have these wonders as my "birthright" when I visit a national Park. I have also always been impressed with the way they are run.....to provide access without depleting or spoiling the natural habitat...the cleanliness of the facilities....the attention to safety.....and conservation. There have been times we got it wrong...like feeding garbage to the bears in Yellowstone....but we learn and correct. From the National Sea Shore National Park....to Alaska.....Hawaii...and all across this land....our National Parks are a source of pride!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine