Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2007, 02:35 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
I have a friend, likely coming about the same time I do, who might be very interested in working with you on that sort of stuff... but he cannot work full time or not especially regular either (thinking of the old gent... ) he's had a rough life, should be getting disability soon but wants to contribute to the world not just be "a leech." But his health makes it impossible for him to punch a time clock... and his loosing dexterity means he isn't FAST anymore...

Heck I wound an armiture once (VERY VERY long ago... I was a kid... building a kit... lol) and still enjoy doing strange stuff like that...

My buddy has been online looking at bare land, dreaming. I am hunkering down in "major save money mode" suspecting that the move will come before the job and getting myself prepared. But I hear ya... and see the lifestyle that you have fitting me and my friend like a glove... a little of this, a little of that, a garden, canning, drying... selling stuff (my hex art keeps building momentum!), and likely some temp work maybe even a real 9-5 for me, who knows...

We will be there... 2008 for sure and likely the earlier part if our wishes have any sway...
I certainly wish you luck with your move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2007, 04:54 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,686,915 times
forest beekeeper mentions; "electric-producing wind-mills and hydro-electric plants."

Argyle is flat as a pancake. If you have enough open ground or a tall enough tower I can see a windmill, but how could you run a hydro station there?

Old 12-13-2007, 07:17 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,406,816 times
My property could support three low-head hydro-electric plants

Old 12-14-2007, 01:30 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,579,827 times
[quote=Northern Maine Land Man;2244056]

There is almost an underground economy of such people in Northern Maine and they do a pretty good business by word of mouth alone. I had the starter on my 1947 Ford tractor rewound there. It has to be the same place. I know a retired machinist who makes parts for hydraulic cylinders and many intricate parts for all kinds of old equipment. There are more small custom saw mills than I can count and they all stay busy. Nearly all of these folks will give you advice while you are getting started. New craftsmen and tradesmen are welcome here. Nearly everybody is welcome here because every family adds to the stability of the community. Remember back in the old western movies where townspeople would just about beg a family not to leave? They all understood something today's economists call "critical mass". Once a community declines to a certain level it cannot survive and life in many communities has come down to survival.

It's intentional folks. The environmental industry is working hard on their program, of rural cleansing. If you are an artist and want to be in one of their "core service communities" they approve of you. If you want to live back in the woods they see you as promoting sprawl.

The state has been promoting their "creative economy" all wrong, and the towns have been in the midst of a pipe dream with their version of cottage industry for a long time now.

Old 12-14-2007, 03:50 PM

378 posts, read 1,030,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
Forest writes
"This morning I just returned from a motor re-wind shop, this old gentleman has been doing business for 35 years, he has no competitors and nobody to take over his business."

There is almost an underground economy of such people in Northern Maine and they do a pretty good business by word of mouth alone. I had the starter on my 1947 Ford tractor rewound there. It has to be the same place. I know a retired machinist who makes parts for hydraulic cylinders and many intricate parts for all kinds of old equipment. There are more small custom saw mills than I can count and they all stay busy. Nearly all of these folks will give you advice while you are getting started. New craftsmen and tradesmen are welcome here. Nearly everybody is welcome here because every family adds to the stability of the community. Remember back in the old western movies where townspeople would just about beg a family not to leave? They all understood something today's economists call "critical mass". Once a community declines to a certain level it cannot survive and life in many communities has come down to survival.

It's intentional folks. The environmental industry is working hard on their program, of rural cleansing. If you are an artist and want to be in one of their "core service communities" they approve of you. If you want to live back in the woods they see you as promoting sprawl.

If you are from Maine, come on home. There is a support group here. If you are "from away" come on up anyway. The support group exists for you too. Do not be deterred by the penthouse environmentalists who don't want you here. Your future neighbors want you here.

Northern Maine Land Man. You always make the most sense to me. Thanks for saying so. I agree.

We're not after perfect. We're after a home.

Old 12-15-2007, 07:52 AM

411 posts, read 899,024 times
NMLM, you are 100% correct. We really thought that we'd run into some aversion here to "people from away". We were mostly wrong. Instead, when we settled, we found just the opposite. People whose families had lived in the town for generations in the town we moved to treated us like family. Those who had come to Maine from away themselves were the ones to call us "flatlanders", "from away", etc, as though they were trying to make themselves feel better. We found a real sense of community here, and people don't care where you are from. They'll ask, mostly I think because they want to figure out whether you are here by choice, or by circumstance. I think figuring that if you are here simply by circumstance, and would rather be elsewhere, then they won't be as welcoming, but if you are here by choice, and want to be a "Mainer" than they will dang well help you acheive that goal. We are very happy here, and love the sense of community.

Old 12-15-2007, 08:00 AM

4,112 posts, read 6,520,821 times
What are the odds? It's so nice that you two got to meet. I hope to have the same distinct pleasure someday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine