Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2015, 09:33 AM

631 posts, read 751,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
I was just going to say; the media buries those stories as fast as they can.
Don't forget: just KNOWING that there are people out there with concealed weapons helps to deter crime. It is always in the back of the criminal's mind that their next crime just might be their last.
Based Caribou knows best!

Old 06-04-2015, 11:26 AM

22,956 posts, read 28,379,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
You do realize that the public media do NOT ever report situations where concealed carry or open carry thwarted criminal activities right?
Then how do you know about them?

Old 06-04-2015, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Liveleaks, independent journalism, scholarly articles, word of mouth from people I know I can trust, photographers, some stray youtube reporting, /k/, /pol/, and a few darknet news groups. The big news groups love covering everything up from the FULL extent of the Baltimore riots to the people of Iceland taking over their own government. You never hear about how Detroit had black snipers on top of apartment complexes purposefully killing white people and how McDonalds is now leaving San Francisco entirely because of the insane minimum wage increase. All of these things are purposefully not talked about, because it weakens liberal arguments.

Hell, even the superdrought itself in California going on right now is hardly spoken of on the air on the WEST coast, because if a lot of people suddenly leave, then the local governments won't get their tax money!

Last edited by znlwovuhrjw; 06-04-2015 at 12:03 PM..

Old 06-04-2015, 12:25 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,308,171 times
Quote:
Liveleaks, independent journalism, scholarly articles, word of mouth from people I know I can trust, photographers, some stray youtube reporting, /k/, /pol/, and a few darknet news groups. The big news groups love covering everything up from the FULL extent of the Baltimore riots to the people of Iceland taking over their own government. You never hear about how Detroit had black snipers on top of apartment complexes purposefully killing white people and how McDonalds is now leaving San Francisco entirely because of the insane minimum wage increase. All of these things are purposefully not talked about, because it weakens liberal arguments.

Hell, even the superdrought itself in California going on right now is hardly spoken of on the air on the WEST coast, because if a lot of people suddenly leave, then the local governments won't get their tax money!
Very true.
We actually hear of self defense cases all the time, though here not as much.
Here is a recent study on the matter.
Guns Used in Self-defense

And -As far as Ca. is concerned, they are also not even accurately reporting on the sudden rise of earthquakes as well.

Old 06-04-2015, 12:59 PM

37,547 posts, read 61,602,962 times
Quote:
You do realize that the public media do NOT ever report situations where concealed carry or open carry thwarted criminal activities right?
In the 1980s I used to support the NRA [I dropped that after they flipped to being in favor of some firearm bans]. They produce two monthly magazines; the Hunter and the Rifleman. Both magazines report 20 to 30 articles each month of legal firearm owners who use their firearms in legal defense against criminals.

Today, just from among my friends I hear about at least a dozen of these incidents each month.

Old 06-04-2015, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
In the 1980s I used to support the NRA [I dropped that after they flipped to being in favor of some firearm bans]. They produce two monthly magazines; the Hunter and the Rifleman. Both magazines report 20 to 30 articles each month of legal firearm owners who use their firearms in legal defense against criminals.

Today, just from among my friends I hear about at least a dozen of these incidents each month.
I don't support the NRA either after they made outlandish claims such as "I don't think any citizen should have an MP7 of any kind."

Old 06-04-2015, 06:13 PM

7,061 posts, read 9,113,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post

In the 35 years or so since I began carrying a weapon on a regular basis, the fact that I was armed has saved my bacon (and that of some other folks) a number of times. There have been times when the extra weight and the hassle (in certain situations) made me want to say "Screw it", but on the occasions when when some scumbag(s) decided that I was their next target I was certainly *very* thankful to have it.

None of the incidents ever had a police report filed, much less appeared in any form of mass media (other than notes like this on a BB). In one incident where 4 thugs attacked me and I ended up getting slashed with a broken bottle before I resorted to going for my gun, the PD was notified and aware of the situation...but they were completely useless, they never showed, not even to bother taking a report afterward while I was getting stitched up in the hospital.

Rarely ever are there any cops around when a personal defense situation arises, and even if you do manage to call them it is almost certain that they will not arrive in time to "protect" you. Despite the decals sometimes seen on PD vehicles that say "To protect and serve" the courts have ruled that the police have no "duty" to protect the citizens. The cops are a "clean-up crew"- they arrive after the damage has been done, look at the pieces and then (if they have the time and enough evidence) try to "nail"*** someone. Fat lot of good that does you when you are being confronted by one or more thugs armed with bats, chains, crowbars or what-have-you up to and including knives or guns.

Q: How many criminals armed with guns know that they aren't supposed to have guns?
A: All of them.

Q: How many of the many laws against criminals having guns, stopped those criminals from having guns?
A: None of them.

Q: In the countries, and cities/localities in the US, that forbid ALL citizens (including criminals) to carry guns, do criminals still carry guns?
A: Yes.

Q: In the areas where citizens are forbidden to carry weapons, and the general public obeys the law, do criminals resort to weapons other than guns (but still deadly) to give them an "edge" over their victims?

Q: How do those citizens, forbidden to be armed and obeying the law, defend themselves against criminals armed with any sort of weapon be it a purpose-weapon or an improvised weapon?
A: They don't. They crap their pants and do whatever the bleep the scumbag tells them to do and hope that he is satisfied with that and doesn't hurt/kill them. (Possibly excepting the occasional Kung-Fu Charlie that has the speed/power/presence of mind and luck to take advantage of an opportunity that *might* present itself.)

Q: Do these laws, which prevent the citizens from carrying weapons to defend themselves, prevent those citizens from being victimized by criminals with weapons?
A: No.

Q: Then what good are these laws?
A: None.

Q: No, really, surely these laws must do *something*?
A: Sure, they make it easier for the criminals to victimize the citizens with other weapons in addition to guns, since they know that the citizens aren't carrying guns to defend themselves.

Q: How do the crime statistics in areas where the citizens are freely allowed/encouraged to carry weapons compare to the statistics in the areas where the citizens are forbidden to carry weapons?
A: The crime rates are lower in those places where the citizens are armed.

"Next question."

"I'll take 'Common sense' for $1200, Jack."

"I'm sorry, your Masters...er, I mean, Leaders have disallowed that category."

"But...the only category left is 'Shut up and do what you're told'."

"Right."

Last edited by Zymer; 06-04-2015 at 06:21 PM.. Reason: Apparently, formatting fails w/no jscript

Old 06-04-2015, 06:39 PM

10,428 posts, read 18,743,608 times
Hey, I was just able to Rep Zymer. It has been about 3 years since I have been able to Rep him.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:22 PM

6,928 posts, read 5,929,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark S. View Post
Sigh. If you dig and dig and dig and dig enough, in alternative media and sites which are dedicated to tracking down such incidents, you WILL find them. (It's too bad that you have to, but we are used to the extra effort). The "popular" media can't be bothered, because it doesn't fit their agenda.

Old 06-04-2015, 08:38 PM

1,246 posts, read 1,308,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
In the 35 years or so since I began carrying a weapon on a regular basis, the fact that I was armed has saved my bacon (and that of some other folks) a number of times. There have been times when the extra weight and the hassle (in certain situations) made me want to say "Screw it", but on the occasions when when some scumbag(s) decided that I was their next target I was certainly *very* thankful to have it.

None of the incidents ever had a police report filed, much less appeared in any form of mass media (other than notes like this on a BB). In one incident where 4 thugs attacked me and I ended up getting slashed with a broken bottle before I resorted to going for my gun, the PD was notified and aware of the situation...but they were completely useless, they never showed, not even to bother taking a report afterward while I was getting stitched up in the hospital.

Rarely ever are there any cops around when a personal defense situation arises, and even if you do manage to call them it is almost certain that they will not arrive in time to "protect" you. Despite the decals sometimes seen on PD vehicles that say "To protect and serve" the courts have ruled that the police have no "duty" to protect the citizens. The cops are a "clean-up crew"- they arrive after the damage has been done, look at the pieces and then (if they have the time and enough evidence) try to "nail"*** someone. Fat lot of good that does you when you are being confronted by one or more thugs armed with bats, chains, crowbars or what-have-you up to and including knives or guns.

Q: How many criminals armed with guns know that they aren't supposed to have guns?
A: All of them.

Q: How many of the many laws against criminals having guns, stopped those criminals from having guns?
A: None of them.

Q: In the countries, and cities/localities in the US, that forbid ALL citizens (including criminals) to carry guns, do criminals still carry guns?

Q: In the areas where citizens are forbidden to carry weapons, and the general public obeys the law, do criminals resort to weapons other than guns (but still deadly) to give them an "edge" over their victims?

Q: How do those citizens, forbidden to be armed and obeying the law, defend themselves against criminals armed with any sort of weapon be it a purpose-weapon or an improvised weapon?
A: They don't. They crap their pants and do whatever the bleep the scumbag tells them to do and hope that he is satisfied with that and doesn't hurt/kill them. (Possibly excepting the occasional Kung-Fu Charlie that has the speed/power/presence of mind and luck to take advantage of an opportunity that *might* present itself.)

Q: Do these laws, which prevent the citizens from carrying weapons to defend themselves, prevent those citizens from being victimized by criminals with weapons?
A: No.

Q: Then what good are these laws?
A: None.

Q: No, really, surely these laws must do *something*?
A: Sure, they make it easier for the criminals to victimize the citizens with other weapons in addition to guns, since they know that the citizens aren't carrying guns to defend themselves.

Q: How do the crime statistics in areas where the citizens are freely allowed/encouraged to carry weapons compare to the statistics in the areas where the citizens are forbidden to carry weapons?
A: The crime rates are lower in those places where the citizens are armed.

"Next question."

"I'll take 'Common sense' for $1200, Jack."

"I'm sorry, your Masters...er, I mean, Leaders have disallowed that category."

"But...the only category left is 'Shut up and do what you're told'."

"Right."
Very Well Stated !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine