Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2015, 06:22 PM

37,470 posts, read 61,415,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
Depends on the state for flamethrowers, there's been a few stories where over-reactive neighbors have called the police on people for melting the ice off the driveway. Next thing the homeowner knows, misdemeanor!
That is so stupid. I grew-up in California, and I used a flame-thrower many times as a child there.

Tumble weeds would always blow through our almond orchards and pile-up on the fences. A flame-thrower is a quick way to handle them, and it destroys the seeds too.

That state has changed so much since then, ...

Old 06-11-2015, 06:53 AM

22,922 posts, read 28,285,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
These are actually legal providing you comply with federal requirements - except for the flame thrower which is not regulated.
Precisely my point.

Leaving aside Section 16 of the Maine Constitution (which is so vague that it makes no sense whatsoever), have a look at the Second Amendment:

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Conservatives, especially far right conservatives, love the latter half of the amendment but really like to pretend the first half doesn't exist.

Liberals on the other hand, especially far left liberals, only want to pay attention to the first half of the amendment, then hmm and haw their way out of the latter half.

But the Bill of Rights really couldn't be more clear or more sensible on this issue. Citizens have the right to bear arms, the entire purpose of which is the "security of a free State," and which should be "well regulated."

So conservatives don't like the regulations and liberals don't like the guns. But the Bill of Rights clearly protects both. Insisting on one without the other violates the Second Amendment.

So, provided that you aren't a wanted felon, that you have been properly trained it is use, and that you obey laws on where its use is restricted, I honestly have no problem with you owning a minigun. I don't want you carrying it around the grocery store or driving up to my kids' school with it mounted in your pick up, any more than I would want someone driving a Formula One racing car through a school zone at 120 mph. But as long as you are obeying all the laws put in place for your safety and the safety of others ... more power to you.

Old 06-11-2015, 07:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otisofoat View Post
One must have both sides to allow for the 2nd. Currently there is no organized militia which gun owners can join.
Currently there are slaves counted as 3/5 of a person. Times change. We must account for that. Your logic doesn't compute. That would be like saying, "Currently there are no slaves counting as 3/5 of a person, therefore African Americans shouldn't count at all."

But now that you mention it, I'm not so sure the founders weren't on to something. I'd be much more comfortable with my law-abiding neighbors being trained in the proper use of arms in times of emergency rather than the militarized police forces we have today.

Last edited by Mark S.; 06-11-2015 at 07:57 AM..

Old 06-11-2015, 07:34 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,689,543 times
Otisofoat imagines:
"Currently there is no organized militia which gun owners can join. Therefore there should be no gun owners."

"Well regulated" means competent. We deny lunatics and criminals the right to bear arms. That is a good idea.

In Maine there is the Army Reserve, National Guard, Air National Guard, Navy Reserve and three militias. You can join any of these if you qualify.

Mark S. gets it. This weekend there will be a Project Appleseed event at Monmouth Fish and Game on Route 202 in Monmouth where you can learn the history of what happened on April 19, 1775 the last time tyrants tried to confiscate firearms in our country. You will also learn how to handle firearms safely and how to reliably hit a 20 inch square target at 500 yards.

Yes, 500 yards - reliably. It is a life skill like learning to swim. It is important. It can save your life.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otisofoat View Post
And I'd feel better if my neighbors didn't own military grade weapons with 100 rd mags. A flintlock or even shotgun is cool
I'd feel better if my neighbor quit smoking in the back yard. But the Constitution isn't about protecting my feelings.

I wouldn't want any untrained knucklehead or a felon owning a military grade weapon with a 100 round mag. But if a law-abiding citizen with no criminal record and no mental health issues has been properly trained, licensed, and only uses the weapon in designated areas (all perfectly reasonable "regulations" by the way), why should I care?

Old 06-11-2015, 08:30 AM

There is a machine gun shoot coming up soon in Maine where legal owners can go out, make a lot of noise and celebrate freedom. When we used to have the Hiram Maxim Memorial Machine Gun Shoot over in Sangerville it opened up at 10 AM on Saturday with a memorial volley. At precisely 10 AM all manner of fully automatic machine guns cut loose at the same time. It was awesome.

A lady from Connecticut had bought a home about a quarter mile away on the other side of the woods. She was working in her garden at 10 AM when it sounded like WWIII had broken out just beyond her back yard. She ran into the house and called 911. She was almost incoherent. The dispatcher calmed her down enough to get a complete sentence out of the lady. She was told about the machine gun shoot and the dispatcher told her to go over and enjoy the fun. Most of the deputies were already there.

The lady's entire perception of the world had been changed that morning. "You mean it is LEGAL to own a MACHINE GUN? Yes ma'am. You can walk into a store and buy one. Just because Walmart doesn't carry them yet doesn't mean they are not available.

Old 06-11-2015, 08:56 AM

7,321 posts, read 6,929,454 times
I believe the conflict is ,
The democrats fear them selves with guns, seeing how unstable they are, with riots and such.
Knowing they them selves are the violant sort, scares them to think what they are capable of.
If conservitives are more encouraged to defend them selves,
half the income of the deocratic party would be lost.
Theives would be more hessitant to take on strangers that might be conservitives that are armed.
Crime would drop and lawyers would have to get real jobs.
Government might begin to realize they are the employee, not the King of america.
rant over.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:08 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
The democrats fear them selves with guns, seeing how unstable they are, with riots and such.
Knowing they them selves are the violant sort, scares them to think what they are capable of.
Theives would be more hessitant to take on strangers that might be conservitives that are armed.
Government might begin to realize they are the employee, not the King of america.
rant over.

What do gun laws and democrats has to do with one another? Your "rant" would be better served in the politics forum, not the Maine forum.

Old 06-11-2015, 09:09 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,973,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arleigh View Post
rant over.

What do gun laws and democrats have to do with one another? Your "rant" would be better served in the politics forum, not the Maine forum.

Old 06-11-2015, 10:02 AM

Ah, the dreaded CD double post.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine