Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2015, 06:23 PM

428 posts, read 556,875 times

Advertisements

Rep. Janice Cooper, D-Yarmouth, said LD652 proponents’ arguments were a red herring.

“This proposal is not about the Second Amendment. It is not about the right to bear arms. It is not about protection,” she said. “It is about a disdain for regulation, and that is the genesis of this bill. It is from people who disdain government, who disdain any interference in their freedom, as they put it, to do what they like, even at the risk of people dying.”

Finally a Democrat who understands, but I suspect she meant that in a bad way.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:27 PM

631 posts, read 751,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin5098 View Post
Rep. Janice Cooper, D-Yarmouth, said LD652 proponents’ arguments were a red herring.

“This proposal is not about the Second Amendment. It is not about the right to bear arms. It is not about protection,” she said. “It is about a disdain for regulation, and that is the genesis of this bill. It is from people who disdain government, who disdain any interference in their freedom, as they put it, to do what they like, even at the risk of people dying.”

Finally a Democrat who understands, but I suspect she meant that in a bad way.
Does this really make any sense at all considering the relatively low cost of obtaining a concealed weapons permit without the time restraint of a training course? Let alone, not mentioning the legality of open carry as it is already. That argument doesn't make any sense.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:28 PM

37,547 posts, read 61,602,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
... I hope Maine never lets itself go like California.
I have gone so far to get away from California, I would be very disappointed if it followed me here.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingdomkz View Post
Does this really make any sense at all considering the relatively low cost of obtaining a concealed weapons permit without the time restraint of a training course? Let alone, not mentioning the legality of open carry as it is already. That argument doesn't make any sense.
Makes perfect sense to me. The second Amendment affirms our natural right to bear arms. We should not need a new law to "grant" us that right. A disdain for regulation, government and interference with our freedoms is a healthy thing IMHO.

Old 06-07-2015, 06:43 PM

631 posts, read 751,825 times
Okay but in the case of Maine, as it is right now, the only way to GET that right back is to push for this amendment. THEN push for the same legislation that Texas is striving for, no re-bans possible like how Vermont has it right now. That is the ONLY way to reach what you're arguing for.

Old 06-08-2015, 05:07 AM

10,428 posts, read 18,743,608 times
We have that. We just need to get the legislature to pay attention. Our Constitution says, "The right to bear arms shall never be questioned." Some in the legislature ought to actually read the the document they swore to uphold and protect.

Old 06-08-2015, 02:56 PM

Repeal of the laws passed to prohibit Concealed Carry should be all that is necessary to remove the unconstitutional restriction placed on us by the state legislature. Vermont has no law "allowing" citizens to carry - they just never enacted legislation prohibiting concealed carry (except in certain places such as schools, courts, etc.)

Last edited by kevin5098; 06-08-2015 at 02:57 PM.. Reason: close parentheses

Old 06-08-2015, 11:46 PM

13,933 posts, read 12,923,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otisofoat View Post
We all need to step back and weigh the unintended
consequences of angry gun carriers.
What unintended consequences? Can you point them out to me in the states that have already done this? Vermont's never required a permit, and they average about 2 murders per year.

Look, every time there's any consideration of relaxing gun laws, you guys come in and predict doom and gloom, blood in the streets, wild west scenarios, etc. and every single time, these things fail to happen. You predicted it when licensed concealed carry was first being considered. 20 years later shall-issue concealed carry is the national norm and with over 12,000,000+ "angry gun carriers", as you put it, the apocalyptic predictions you guys constantly make have still never came to fruition.
Quote:
The official from Yarmouth expressed the true intentions of the NRA and its
supporters
All the NRA and it's supporters want is for you to leave gun rights alone.

Old 06-09-2015, 03:24 AM

18,360 posts, read 26,556,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otisofoat View Post
We all need to step back and weigh the unintended consequences of angry gun carriers. The official from Yarmouth expressed the true intentions of the NRA and its supporters. But more than that it shows the crass indifference to the rule of law. People are getting weary of loud mouth "libertarian" bullies that care not for any one else. The Penguin in the Blaine house is finding out that stomping his feet, ignoring other points of view, and tantrums maybe the Mardens business model, but it doesn't work as a method of governance.
How about the consequences of regulation. This woman in NJ died because she was waiting for a permit to carry a gun for protection: NJ Woman Brutally Murdered While Waiting for Pistol Permit | The Federalist Papers

There is no justification for a permit system to carry a gun for protection.

Old 06-09-2015, 04:19 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,923,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
How about the consequences of regulation. This woman in NJ died because she was waiting for a permit to carry a gun for protection: NJ Woman Brutally Murdered While Waiting for Pistol Permit | The Federalist Papers

There is no justification for a permit system to carry a gun for protection.
Actually she was waiting for a permit to just OWN a gun, not carry it.......

CCW's in the state of New Jersey are virtually impossible to get.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine