Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 01:41 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,082,573 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
The key term is "two or more persons." I was stopped by a single officer in a single cruiser in all but one of the instances. The one that said "I thought you might be drunk" was in the company of another officer in another cruiser. The second officer never got out of his vehicle and pulled into a parking space of the parking lot I pulled into. It was only after I continued on my way that the second officer got out of his cruiser and joined the first one. I do use my mirrors.
Yes, however, you'll notice that I included this statement:

"If more than one officer in a particular area has behaved in this manner it may be indicative of departmentally condoned behavior..."

The actors do not have to be acting together, at the same time, in order to constitute conspiracy. If it is departmental policy to stop and question motorists without having a valid reason for doing so, then it is clearly an abuse of power and a clear case of conspiracy against rights.

In fact, under the conditions of the law, it would not even need to be shown that it was department policy. If even only two officers formulate a plan to act in this manner, it satisfies the conditions of conspiracy, whether or not they are actually standing together or if they do it on totally seperate days/times.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2008, 01:50 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
I would sure hate to think that was what was going on. Just as well that I left.

Old 01-16-2008, 01:56 PM

5,826 posts, read 9,609,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExAirForce View Post
I am getting ready to be in Maine again for the 3rd time in less than a year. I have lived in Germany (retired U.S. Air Force) since 1999 and think nothing of doing 100+ mph (here) so as soon as I pick up my rental car in Bangor and start heading up I95 to Houlton
You sound like my attorney. He once told me he could be in a courtroom in Bangor at 2pm if he left his office in Millinocket at 1pm. That's just plain scary.

Old 01-16-2008, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
I would sure hate to think that was what was going on. Just as well that I left.
Yes, unfortunately far too many cops use deceit and [a person's] ignorance of the law to deprive them of, and/or attempt to coerce people into waiving, their constitutional rights.

Old 01-16-2008, 04:15 PM

See also: Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242 - Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law Title 18, U.S.C., Section 242 - Deprivation of Rights Under Color of Law (http://miami.fbi.gov/statutes/title_18/section242.htm - broken link) And COLOR OF LAW (http://miami.fbi.gov/color_of_law.htm - broken link) "...Sexual assaults by officials acting under "color of law" could happen in a variety of venues. They could occur in court scenarios, jails, and/or traffic stops to name just a few of the settings where an official might use their position of authority to coerce another individual into sexual compliance. The compliance is generally gained because of a threat of an official action against the other if they do not comply..."

Old 01-16-2008, 04:34 PM

1,220 posts, read 3,934,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, I did say that I could be wrong.....

I do know, at least in Cumberland County, that you can go through the entire registration process without showing proof that your car passed inspection-let alone that it was ever inspected at all. It seems backwards that a state (county?) would allow to register a vehicle to be legally allowed on the road, but at the same time not fully being legal until it passes inspection.

If you can legally be pulled over for the sole reason of an expired/missing inspection sticker, then logic would dictate that you need to show proof of such before you can fully register your vehicle.
Actually, two different processes. First is the registration, and in order to get your car inspected, it MUST be registered. So the excise tax is paid to the town in which it is registered, and they keep that money. The registration is sent to Augusta and is a use tax for running the car on the public highway.

Finally, armed with a current registration, you can go to a registration station and get the car inspected. The registration mechanic is supposed to inspect the car and identify any items, including body rust decay that need to be fixed prior to issuing a sticker. This includes tinting of windows other than that provided by the manufacturer when the car was built. Inspection is not consistant, but the state police do conduct "sting" operations where a plain clothes officer will take a car that should fail inspection to a shop and if the inspection process isn't 100% correct, the shop will lose its inspection license and face possible additional actions and fines.

Old 01-16-2008, 09:16 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times
Well, the process still seems backwards. It is ridiculous to pay all those fees and then find out you can't drive your car. In California your vehicle needs to pass Smog before you can register it. Minnesota had a similar process.

You should not be allowed to fully register your vehicle until you can legally drive it on the road. Just another tax I guess.

Old 01-16-2008, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Well, the process still seems backwards. It is ridiculous to pay all those fees and then find out you can't drive your car. In California your vehicle needs to pass Smog before you can register it. Minnesota had a similar process.

You should not be allowed to fully register your vehicle until you can legally drive it on the road. Just another tax I guess.
Chicken/Egg question. Register then inspect. If the vehicle fails, repair and you have 60 days to get it re-inspected without another charge. However, the real problem is that there seems to be no grace period as far as actually driving the vehicle after it fails the safety inspection. Information indicates that the vehicle is not to be operated until it is repaired.

Vehicles registered in Cumberland County must have an emission inspection as well.

Old 01-17-2008, 01:50 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Kind of ironic this thread. Grabbed the van today to go into town, plates don't expire until the end of April. Too bad I had to replace the windshield a couple of years ago in December, so the inspection was out of date. So the sticker is orange (ran out end of 07) and rest assured you CAN and probably will get stopped just for an out of date inspection. Yep, half way through Caribou, I got pulled over for the sticker. Got a warning so no biggie. I don't like it when they jam it up under your rear view mirror, I didn't se it and never gave it a second thought.

That is another thing about the inspections, if you replace your windshield, you have to get another inspection, then the month is out of sync with the registration.

Old 01-17-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Kind of ironic this thread. Grabbed the van today to go into town, plates don't expire until the end of April. Too bad I had to replace the windshield a couple of years ago in December, so the inspection was out of date. So the sticker is orange (ran out end of 07) and rest assured you CAN and probably will get stopped just for an out of date inspection. Yep, half way through Caribou, I got pulled over for the sticker. Got a warning so no biggie. I don't like it when they jam it up under your rear view mirror, I didn't se it and never gave it a second thought.

That is another thing about the inspections, if you replace your windshield, you have to get another inspection, then the month is out of sync with the registration.
Oh, no! Guess it wasn't on your mind enough. Helpful (maybe) hint- if you *know* your sticker is NG, it may be better to scrape it off yourself. If there is no sticker at all, an observer may not really notice, as opposed to having one that is glaringly obviously wrong. (It *could* just be that you *did* just get the windshield replaced.)

(Not to imply that that is legal, mind you, or that it's a good thing to do, or that *I* would ever do such a thing. Oh, no, not me, never.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine