Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2008, 05:46 AM

2,356 posts, read 5,721,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
Some states make good places to live, and some are better places to make money. Maine is of the former.

That just about sums it up! But, You can make a very good life here in Maine....and there are people who get rich here too. But overall...this is not the state where your going climb the corporate ladder (sort of speak).

I guess that’s what has given me so much trouble...I know I am doing right by my children....but there's still that piece of me that wants that fast lane....Maybe if I had spent more time living that life I would realized it's not all that its cracked up to be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 06:45 AM

2,712 posts, read 5,656,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flycessna View Post
That just about sums it up! But, You can make a very good life here in Maine....and there are people who get rich here too. But overall...this is not the state where your going climb the corporate ladder (sort of speak).

I guess that’s what has given me so much trouble...I know I am doing right by my children....but there's still that piece of me that wants that fast lane....Maybe if I had spent more time living that life I would realized it's not all that its cracked up to be
Trust me, it's not! Especially if you are sitting here in Maine, with one foot still IN that fast lane. I am having phase shifts regularly, very unsettling, as my business (which came with me and is taking root here) is very "fast lane" but finding a place to plant it for real (with appropriate on ramp to that lane) is what is giving me fits.

Old 06-20-2008, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by starwalker View Post
Trust me, it's not! Especially if you are sitting here in Maine, with one foot still IN that fast lane. I am having phase shifts regularly, very unsettling, as my business (which came with me and is taking root here) is very "fast lane" but finding a place to plant it for real (with appropriate on ramp to that lane) is what is giving me fits.

I was confused at what you were saying Star, Are you having a difficult time here with your business.....or is it growing too fast?

Old 06-20-2008, 08:59 AM

2,054 posts, read 4,581,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Siobjuan View Post
We moved to Maine Highlands a year and a half ago from the south shore of Massachusetts. I have found most people are very friendly, but everyone respects each other's space. Most folks respond 'in kind'. If you are friendly, they are. If you are stuck up, snotty or have a sense of entitlement, run, don't walk, run away. You will never make it here!

Some examples; we lived on the same small street in Duxbury, Massachusetts and there were people we did not know by name on the same street. Here, people may not know our first names, but Oreo the wonderdog is requested by the local wee ones to come out to play all the time.

My teenage daughter put it well; In Duxbury, if your friends rode horses, they had their noses stuck in the air. La de Dah! In Maine, if your friends ride horses, they live on a farm!

Before, if I tried to strike up a conversation with someone in line at the grocery store, I was odd. Now it's where you find out what's REALLY going on with your neighbors.

I love to do crafts in the wintah, garden (flower & vegetable) whenever possible, explore the area, go to auctions... and being first time homeowners, do happy home projects. (Maine being the only place with reasonable housing prices- yes, we looked all over the country!!!) I telecommute for a national company and it is the perfect fit. I am not taking anyone's job, and yet can contribute to the local economy.

It's all attitude. Good or bad, no matter where you go. What you put into the community is what you will get back. Here in Maine, we just won't sugar coat it. You will never have to guess where you stand.

We will always be 'from away'. Our kids will always be 'from away'. That's okay. We appreciate you all letting us stay.

I love
~Reny's & Mardens
~you pick em strawberries
~all farmstands
~yardsales!!!
~how fast my gardens grow (not having to water them the first couple months!!)
~abrupt weather changes (the mountains will do that!)
~a walk around the block taking over an hour because you stop to chat with folks along the way
~snow piling up (NO, I am not crazy and have lived my entire life in New England, so it's not a flash in the pan!)
~the smell of woodsmoke in January
~the way what you have doesn't define you. How you behave does.
~no one gets startled. They get 'jumped'!!!

What I don't like about Maine;
~Nothing!

If you don't like it here, no one will stop you from leaving.
Welcome to Maine!

I do realize that people living in Deluxbury are really Cohasset wannabes.

LOL...

Old 06-20-2008, 11:42 AM

Quote:
I was confused at what you were saying Star, Are you having a difficult time here with your business.....or is it growing too fast?
neither, just that, by it's nature, my business IS fast lane (print and internet design,... they always need it yesterday and at warp speed) and burnout/setting limits on the work are constant issues for those in the field. I know a lot of "used to be..." because it will suck you in, 24/7, especially if you enjoy doing it and have clients you honestly like, as I do (both).

When I am doing my work (both working current contracts and talking with prospective clients) it is always uber-intense.... it fits well with the culture of metropolitan areas, where everything goes at warp speed day and night.

But (my part of) Maine isn't like that. And I don't WANT it to be. I guess I am just trying to say that I haven't really worked out a decent way to transition from my warp-speed design head and the reality outside my windows, where I am inclined to stand for a hour doing nothing more than watching fireflies and trying to identify the night sounds.

By their natures, neither can (or should!) change but the transition just gives me whiplash at times. LOL

Old 06-20-2008, 01:28 PM

37,474 posts, read 61,432,180 times
Quote:
neither, just that, by it's nature, my business IS fast lane (print and internet design,... they always need it yesterday and at warp speed) and burnout/setting limits on the work are constant issues for those in the field. I know a lot of "used to be..." because it will suck you in, 24/7, especially if you enjoy doing it and have clients you honestly like, as I do (both).

When I am doing my work (both working current contracts and talking with prospective clients) it is always uber-intense.... it fits well with the culture of metropolitan areas, where everything goes at warp speed day and night.

But (my part of) Maine isn't like that. And I don't WANT it to be. I guess I am just trying to say that I haven't really worked out a decent way to transition from my warp-speed design head and the reality outside my windows, where I am inclined to stand for a hour doing nothing more than watching fireflies and trying to identify the night sounds.

By their natures, neither can (or should!) change but the transition just gives me whiplash at times. LOL
Whiplash?

is that what it is?

I may have some medicine for that

Old 06-20-2008, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forest beekeeper View Post
Whiplash?

is that what it is?

I may have some medicine for that
Well my wine seems to help... maybe this is why so many Art Directors are rumored to drink scotch?

Old 06-20-2008, 07:51 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,755,211 times
Quote:
Well my wine seems to help... maybe this is why so many Art Directors are rumored to drink scotch?
Wine is good

Old 06-21-2008, 07:06 AM

19,969 posts, read 30,241,153 times
Quote:

life in the fast lane isnt all what its cracked up to be..

Eager for action hot for the game
The calling attraction the drop of the name
They knew all the right people
They took all the right pills
They threw outrageous parties
They paid heavenly bills
There were lines on the mirror, lines on her face
She pretended not to notice she was caught up in the race
Out every evening until it was light
He was too tired to make it she was too tired to fight about it

Life in the fast lane
Surely make you lose your mind

Old 06-21-2008, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
life in the fast lane isnt all what its cracked up to be..

Eager for action hot for the game
The calling attraction the drop of the name
They knew all the right people
They took all the right pills
They threw outrageous parties
They paid heavenly bills
There were lines on the mirror, lines on her face
She pretended not to notice she was caught up in the race
Out every evening until it was light
He was too tired to make it she was too tired to fight about it

Life in the fast lane
Surely make you lose your mind
I get it,

Be a simple man!

Mama told me when I was young
Come sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say.
And if you do this
It will help you some sunny day.
Take your time... dont live too fast,
Troubles will come and they will pass.
Go find a woman and youll find love,
And dont forget son,
There is someone up above.

And be a simple kind of man.
Be something you love and understand.
Be a simple kind of man.
Wont you do this for me son,
If you can?

Forget your lust for the rich mans gold
All that you need is in your soul,
And you can do this if you try.
All that I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied.

Boy, dont you worry... youll find yourself.
Follow you heart and nothing else.
And you can do this if you try.
All I want for you my son,
Is to be satisfied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine