Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:02 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northern Maine Land Man View Post
I was born before WWII. I was the airport kid. I pumped up tires, fueled aircraft, washed windshields and once in a while got a ride on a test flight after an engine was repaired. My parents had no idea where I went on my bicycle.

My idols were the pilots back from WWII until most of them went to Korea. They were my favorite group too. As to music, my favorite musician was Leadbelly and my favorite singing group was the Carter Family.

I wore khakis like the pilots and tried not to get grass stains or engine oil on them.

First steady? I was 15 or 16 with a steady job. When I joined the Navy that was the end of her. She found another boy friend closer to home.
Leadbelly was the idol of my idol! His slide guitar was famous. You were not the only one that had an unworthy girl leave them when they went into the service NMLM! If they couldn't wait they were'nt worth the effort!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2008, 08:54 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Hands up if you remember when WBLM used to be at the "top of the dial"... anyone? (And the original blimp sticker was the coolest! I can just picture it on the back of my neighbors light blue Pinto...)

Or when the HUGE mall opened in Bangor (the first time we went there, my parents couldn't figure out how to get there- we rode by on the interstate a few times before we actually made it to the mall-lol.) And speaking of the mall, I remember clearly the sign at the mall when the hostages were released in January, 1981- just the number 444 on it.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:05 PM

3,061 posts, read 8,363,371 times
I was somewhat of a rebel. Listened to the Stones, Grand Funk Railroad, Aerosmith, Joe Cocker, ect.
Mini skirts were in style. I remember Viet Nam (my cousin ended up in Thailand).
We listened to the Top 40 on WBZ AM out of Boston.
Ayuh, I'm an old fogey.

Old 06-17-2008, 09:06 PM

3,231 posts, read 7,464,599 times
> hand is up <

BLM 107.9 Lewiston/Auburn

It's the blimp, Frank, it's the blimp!

The Captain

2 fer Tuesdays

Oh yeah... I remember

Last edited by island mermaid; 06-17-2008 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: silly

Old 06-17-2008, 09:18 PM

Default Wbz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlisonL View Post
I was somewhat of a rebel. Listened to the Stones, Grand Funk Railroad, Aerosmith, Joe Cocker, ect.
Mini skirts were in style. I remember Viet Nam (my cousin ended up in Thailand).
We listened to the Top 40 on WBZ AM out of Boston.
Ayuh, I'm an old fogey.

Alison, wasn't WBZ on AM radio? Long before the day of FM?

I'm an old fogey too

Old 06-17-2008, 09:22 PM

4,975 posts, read 11,696,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peachie_in_maine View Post
Yesss.. everyone. Your' taking me back.

My favorite band was Def Leppard if I had to pick one.
I guess I loved them the most since I went through two "tapes" of them of the same album.
I wore tight faded- shredded jeans High top sneakers & T-shirts fish next ties, big earrings, buckle boots.
Had big hair that was frosted as well.
( Yes Aqua Net was the Spray for Do's... speakin' of do's remember "Dippy Do hair stuff. )hehe

Okay, so I hung out with the bad boys and I was friends with EVERYONE in school.
I never broke a heart that I know of.
I don't think anyone liked me. lol * was everyones "peachie friend sister*

Most of the guys I hung out with were my friends thou. I went steady with a guy that dropped out of school to drive skidder with his dad. I was in love he had a dreamy black old chevy truck and we would drive the roads until the gas tank read E.
Yeah... I thought it was it. ~ you know the rest.
So after heart ache and still heart ache.. I met my first husband my junior year in high school.

Lets see... My girl friends were great... I had "sleep over's every weekend at my house.
( I believe this was because I was central located in a great area and had a huge 5 bedroom house.)

I can't remember a weekend that went by that I didn't have friends over. ( just that weekend I was grounded for the summer.)

Our big thing here was to go to "pit parties, and to the highschool dance.(* Remember the Video Dances?*)
I always loved to dance and I would dance with this crazy guy every time to "Ball Room Blitz". That was fun.
Sadly, school was never important ... friends and weekends were.

I don't think I had a real idol.
I loved MTV of course and (remember this for us mainie's) "All HIt Video's on Channel 7 late at night.
My first steady broke heart so bad that being a TEEN would never be in my wishes at all. But I like to visit being 7 or 8 with the rolling of the "big wheels and playing in the trees with my best friend in the world Dana. lol
I loved Def Leppard too! Saw them several times in concert. MTV was great in the beginning. They actually played music videos then! Imagine that! And I do remember Dippy Do. Anything to help make the hair as big as humanly possible. As for "fashion", I wore white hightop Reeboks. I also had a red pair. And I loved my short jean jacket with fringes. Wow, the memories are flooding back! I'm surprised I can remeber anything with all the Aqua-Net I breathed in.

Old 06-17-2008, 10:55 PM

474 posts, read 1,417,374 times
Well, I'm almost afraid to answer these BECAUSE I'm older than dirt! Well, maybe not that old, but my son once asked me if they had cars when I was a little girl - without missing a beat - I told him, yes, but we had to crank them on the front to get them to start! Gez! He believed me!
What kind of teen where you? I was horrible. Such a rebel, but that's what middle kids do! LOL
Who was your idol? At the time I loved Elvis (still do) AND of course Peter Toole of Hermans Hermits! (told ya I was ancient)
What was your favorite group? see above
Heart breaker or always heart broken? Shame to admit it, but I was a heart breaker. Wouldn't work now! LOL
What kind of clothes were in when you were a teen? bell bottoms, mini skirts, neuroo (spelling??) jacket AND of course peace symbols! LOL
How old were you when you had your first "steady"? 15 - married him at 19 - divorced him at 29! Go figure!

Old 06-17-2008, 11:01 PM

8,767 posts, read 18,669,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fort Lauderdale mermaid View Post
Alison, wasn't WBZ on AM radio? Long before the day of FM?

I'm an old fogey too
God yes they used to have Joe Green in the BZ copter doing traffic reports.
BTW Who the he** is Alan Jackson???

Old 06-18-2008, 05:07 AM

105 posts, read 286,774 times
This stuff is fun...I want to play

Here's some ideas on describing something about you.
What kind of teen where you? Shy/studious
Who was your idol? No real idol
What was your favorite group? Def Leppard
Heart breaker or always heart broken? As a teen, neither, like I said I was really shy and didn't have a boyfriend in high school
What kind of clothes were in when you were a teen? Hmmm, stirrup pants, belted sweaters, popped collars. I was preppy in the late 80s/early 90s
How old were you when you had your first "steady"? 18

Old 06-18-2008, 05:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maineah View Post
God yes they used to have Joe Green in the BZ copter doing traffic reports.
BTW Who the he** is Alan Jackson???
I'm refusing to answer the Alan Jackson question (again) as I'm so highly offended.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine