Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 03:50 PM

444 posts, read 928,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elcarim View Post
I've been Ebaying to find myself a winter coat that fits right. Last year's is too big! I need something, so I'm going for something I can still wear when we get there. My clothes are long term investments, so I want to make smart purchases. Not so much for the kids who outgrow everything from year to year.

I just got this brand new coat for $32.52! I found it in the catalog (same pic and all) for $139 retail. I think that's a good deal, and I know wool will be very warm.

I'd still like the cutie patootie white down jacket, and I'll buy it if I can get a good deal on it. The nicer wool coat won't do much good for geocaching and hiking around the woods in the snow, so I need something more casual. I just hope it's long enough to keep most of my bits and pieces warm enough!
Very nice!

Old 10-28-2008, 03:51 PM

5,054 posts, read 12,422,756 times
LOVE the velour sweatsuit! I've been looking at those, but I was afraid they would be too thin to keep me warm. Of course, that's typical winter casual wear around here. That withOUT a coat! Where do you find that chocolate suit. That is SO my style! And what style of boots would you wear with those? You know, we only wear cowboy boots in these here parts!

Old 10-28-2008, 04:44 PM

You can find the sweatsuit in the pictures here:

Women's Sleepwear and Loungewear

The ones I bought were less expensive than that. I got them from Burlington Coat Factory (I think the whole set was 29.99).

Here are the boots that I bought from Kohl's last year, and plan to wear until they fall apart
Attached Images

Old 10-28-2008, 04:53 PM

Yeah, I was looking at these. I know I need to look for waterproof, and these are both waterproof, but I wasn't sure how high they'd need to be to keep the snow out. These are only $65 or so each. That's a good price. I just keep thinking about what someone told me once about having the same pair of Bean boots for 11 years now, and only having to re-sole them once. That's a good investment. But these are so cute!
Attached Thumbnails
Moving to Maine during the winter......-337597_199.jpg   Moving to Maine during the winter......-338148_199.jpg  

Old 10-28-2008, 05:11 PM

37,468 posts, read 61,396,384 times
Quote:
I guess when I'm actually IN Maine freezing my ass off, this battle between fashion and function will work itself out in my mind! The only reason to buy a coat in Texas is that it's just too cute to pass up. I find way too many of THOSE kinds of bargains!

But a suede/shearling lined vest WOULD get some use, right? And how about a car length, 100% lambswool hooded pea coat? That one is really nice, and I think I can get it for $35.
My only recommendation is to buy a coat that is 1 size too big. To allow for layers underneath.

An outer coat is only a weather shell, to break the wind, to keep out the wet, and in your case to make you look nice

Old 10-28-2008, 05:39 PM

2,133 posts, read 5,877,204 times
Love the red wool coat! Paired with black leather gloves for nice, and thick wool mittens for casual and you'll be good to go. Since you aren't arriving 'til February, I wouldn't worry about having a whole wardrobe of winter jackets. Wait 'til the next Winter to buy more. That way you'll know more about your new lifestyle, interests, etc.

Now about the boots. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the suede you showed. I'd go for the tallest you can find.
Bean boots are practical for keeping your feet dry but they are UGLY, oh so ugly.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:45 PM

19,969 posts, read 30,222,115 times
Quote:
Yeah, I was looking at these. I know I need to look for waterproof, and these are both waterproof, but I wasn't sure how high they'd need to be to keep the snow out. These are only $65 or so each. That's a good price. I just keep thinking about what someone told me once about having the same pair of Bean boots for 11 years now, and only having to re-sole them once. That's a good investment. But these are so cute!
hiya el, ive got a pair just like these,,,would highly recommend them !!

Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 PM

181 posts, read 485,761 times
Cute boots!

I'd think those would be high enough to keep out snow... they might not be adequate for shoveling deep snow, but for regular use, that looks like plenty.

There are also waterproofing sprays, that can help protect boots from salt, too.

Old 10-28-2008, 05:58 PM

El, I love the brown suede boots! The height is perfect. My little black "Zippy-zip" boots are on the short side, but I find them comfortable for running errands, etc...after the snow has been shoveled and plowed, of course

Old 10-28-2008, 06:11 PM

These boots are Sporto brand and say they're waterproof with non-slip soles. They also have shearling foot liners in them.

And what do you mean I have to shovel snow??? I have to shovel snow? Don't you pay kids to do that? Yes, life is going to be very different for us there! Good thing I'm getting in better shape!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine