Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2006, 06:02 AM

439 posts, read 721,776 times

Advertisements

Cormier- I agree relocating is indeed a very stressful and major life move. Visiting Maine or New England is very different then actually living here.

I can fully understand your desire to leave southern California- as much as I like the weather in all of coastal California, from San Diego to the Oregon border, the costs are very high.

It seems northern New England- Vermont, New Hampshire and Maine are very popular with those escaping the 'rat race' from NJ, NYC area Washington DC area, AZ and California. Much less traffic, less materialism, more inner peace, less stress, much less crime and more.

As I tell all Californians moving to New England you will find much better areas over less good areas- do your research well! But by in large most places in New England will be a vast improvement over your current living situation if you desire less crime, traffic, lower costs, less stress and peace.

I know there is another writer here from the L.A area who is relocating to Maine on this thread- I am sure you have read 'Jake's' questions.

The biggest adjustment of all perhaps will be the weather- really. Going from A Mild dry climate to a four season climate with winter should prove to be more difficult then anything you face.

Also consider parts of Connecticut- Hartfords eastern suburbs and 'exurbs'- which offer a high quality of life in a mid sized metro region. Eastern Connecticut (Tolland and Windham counties) the so called quiet corner are very popular with 'refugees' from many areas of the country. Why? mostly small towns (under 15,000) rolling hills, farms, history, no traffic, low crime and very affordable housing. Being close to the golden beaches of Block Island sound and the Atlantic ocean, wineries, recreation like Mystic county are really great draws.

The weather here is milder then Maine as well- with longer summers and autumns and shorter winters. See Colchester, Norwich and New London Groton/Mystic/Stonington CT close to Hartford, Providence and even Boston- but far enough out for you to live in your own little world. The 'Quiet corner' of Connecticut is a wonderful place to live.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiet_C...Connecticut%29

Whatever your choice, in Maine do check out the greater Portland area especially Westbrook and Gorham. I love Brunswick and Bath.

Good luck! And feel free to ask me more about Connecticut.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 02:13 PM

10 posts, read 49,418 times
Default Dragondog, pixieshmoo

Thank you both for your feedback and offers of assistance. It seems I am already experiencing Maine-like hospitality and I'm not even there yet.
Dragondog, Connecticut never crossed my mind, but since you mentioned it, I started to look into it. Looks as if teacher salaries are "up there", but that may also be offset by some higher cost-of-living expenses in those desired neighborhoods. I'm not even sure I want to teach for a school district, anyway. Some entrepreneurial force inside me is contemplating opening up my own Reading school/clinic to teach youngsters to read before they ever enter an elementary school. My experience shows that those who enter school grades already reading (who hit the ground running) are in a more advantageous position to succeed in their educations.
As questions arise about Conn and other eastern locations, I'll be sure to take you up on your knowledge. I'm very appreciative.
Thanks again. LC

Old 08-26-2006, 03:48 PM

439 posts, read 721,776 times
Cormier
costs for housing in Connecticut are very much misrepresented. The only area of the state that can compare with Southern CA for median house price wise (600K)
are some very toney towns in Fairfield county -in the SW part of the state near NYC and its nearby envirions.

The rest of the state is very affordable. In eastern CT for example a NEW 2000 sq FT. colonial on 1 acre with basement, double garage, fireplace, 3 BDRS 2+ baths 315K.

Compared to most of southern Maine- there is no difference. You are close (22 miles) to the greater Hartford metro area- with an incredible amount of cultural outlets, Great Colleges, museums, beaches, wineries and more. Yet less then 2 hours from 'The Hub of the Universe'- Boston- and 2.5 hours from New York City.

So much nearby for prices that are really bargin priced for the location.

Old 09-03-2006, 07:34 AM

1 posts, read 3,496 times
I have been reading the thread on moving to Maine and found it really interesting. I am in same boat and would like to share some thoughts here. I am from Maine, went to UMaine (one year abroad) and then onto DC, NYC and Ct. My husband and I have been raising our 3 kids in a pretty upscale town in Ct for 14 years. Each year my desire to return to Maine is stronger and stronger. The schools are great here and the people are nice. But with the good schools and lovely town there is a downside. There is intense competition to have the most, be the best, and it is not good for kids (Fairfield County also has one of the highest drugs uses in HS in the country). Kids need more balance and I feel that I had that growing up in Maine and I believe that it still exist. BUT, and it is a big BUT, you really need to go into a move with your eyes wide open. If you vacationed in Maine and fell in love with it, that is not the same Maine you will move to. You really need to spend some time in the off-season (dead of winter) and try to experience what living there would be like year round. Maine has lot of problems, some areas are worse than others. You need to really do your research, but go beyond reading on the internet, go to the area you like and really spend time talking to local people. For instance, Camden/Rockport Schools look great in the school report, but a conversation I had with a mother who had 2 kids go through the school, revealed some serious problems. I also have a friend who has been selling real estate in Maine for about 10 years. She has seen a number of people move up to Maine from NY, CT and MA only to pack up a few years later and return to their home state. It just was not quite what they thought it would be. Maine people can take time to get to know for sure, but I do believe that people are people and like one poster said, it is what you make it. I started a Maine-based web site a year ago in anticipation of returning, removed. I am currently putting together an article and info on moving to Maine. I am hopping to get input from my friend who sells Real Estate but am looking for more. If you have anything you would like to share or if you would like to tell me what kind of info would be helpful to include, please feel free to email me at pieceomaine@aol.com
Thanks so much,
Evalee

Last edited by Marka; 09-03-2006 at 01:24 PM..

Old 09-03-2006, 10:38 AM

9 posts, read 24,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyesmom40 View Post
I think Maine is indeed a state where you either love it and want to stay....have always lived here and wouldnt go anywhere else.......or you arent happy here, and choose to leave. We aren't the worst state, and to some, we aren't the best state...but to many..we are exactly what they were looking for You can come, and stay.....hopefully for a long time.....lol......or decide you want to go elsewhere; along the way you will make friends who will never forget you and will welcome you whenever you come back.
I couldn't have said it better myself. Excellent point!

Old 09-06-2006, 09:14 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,330,009 times
Anybody know statistics of how many high school and/or college graduates (of Maine Schools/Universities) stay in Maine and actually find good jobs in Maine???? Also, are there any statistics regarding students that are from Maine but leave to attend college elsewhere yet return? Thanks.

Old 09-06-2006, 09:16 PM

Ps. I ask this because regardless of what my husband and I do for a living, I've become very concerned about our childrens' career future and whether they'd be at advantage by staying in Maine to work and raise their families.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:19 AM

38 posts, read 120,720 times
Default Yarmouth

My recommendation is Yarmouth. It's very nice, small but not too small, nice shops, places to eat...and very straightforward commute to Portland, about 15 minutes on 95. I don't know much about the school there, but I have heard great things about the town in general. Freeport is close by so you can shop at LL Bean.

Old 09-08-2006, 09:29 AM

Yarmouth is actually one of the towns we were considering....thanks!

Old 09-13-2006, 04:54 PM

76 posts, read 295,514 times
HI Pixieshmoo,
We live in Yarmouth and will be selling our house this spring. We want to relocate down south. If you have any questions about Yarmouth, I would be happy to help. You can pm me anytime. I have lived here for about 15 years, so I am very familiar with the town.
We send our children to a Christian school in Portland (about 15 min. away), but I know the schools here have a good reputation.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Adrienne
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine