Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-22-2006, 08:45 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,579,178 times

Advertisements

You say Poe-Tate-Oh, I say Poe-Tot-Oh! After poring over this entire thread, this is all that comes to mind for me! LOL! As a native Scranton, Pennsylvanian with an interest in vacationing in Portland, ME, I decided to head on over to this forum to get a "feel" for the state. My family vacationed in Bar Harbor a few years ago, and to us Maine seemed to be an idyllic paradise, especially compared to the congestion and traffic here in Scranton (which, ironically, newcomers from NJ describe as "quiet" and "serene"...LOL!)

To those of you who are getting "soured" by what you are hearing about Maine, you must realize that "one man's trash is another man's treasure." Here in Scranton, our youth are making a mass exodus eastward to NJ/NYC for white-collar employment opportunities, seeing Scranton as being "dead." At the same time, middle-aged couples and recent empty-nesters are FLOCKING to Scranton, finding it to be their own utopia at a pleasant price. I'm the rare teenager that actually wants to STAY here in Scranton to raise my family, open my own business, and contribute to what I see as an "up-and-coming" area.

My point is that EVERY person has a different perspective on where they live. As a gay person, I'm willing to endure hateful comments and frequent death-threats from the "lower-class" residents of Scranton if it means that I can live in a thriving downtown just ten minutes from skiing, hiking, and mountain biking. At the same time, I know I could move to New England to where I could have people judge me according to what I contribute to the community instead of my minority status, but the trade-off would be higher taxes, higher real estate prices, and traffic congestion. NO area is perfect---Even highly-lauded areas such as Portland, OREGON, Minneapolis, and Boulder, CO have their drawbacks.

Just a little bit of humor here---A home in Glenmaura, one of Scranton's tonier neighborhoods, just sold for $875,000. While locals scoffed at the price as being "out of their budgets", out-of-staters scoffed at the "low" price, thinking there must have been something "wrong with the house" to make it so "cheap!" The home, with breathtaking mountain views amid a neighborhood of million-dollar homes was on the market a considerable length of time as a result of being viewed as both TOO MUCH and TOO LITTLE at the same time! You may love Maine, but you may also hate it instead. There's only ONE way to find out---Take the plunge!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2006, 08:33 AM

42 posts, read 177,570 times
Default Great Comment!

Well said, Scranton! I'm originally from Bucks Co., and when I was a kid, we used to spend weekends in your area. I just went back recently and was disappointed, but not surpirised at how much it's changed. It's the same when I go back to Bucks, a new shopping center or housing developement on every corner. Anyway, we are moving in about a week to Maine from South Jersey. I know that Portland has a huge gay community for a town that size, and I'm looking forward to getting to know it better. I'm not gay myself, but I'm a big old f.hag, and have been most of my life. Meet me in Portland and we'll go dancing at Styyx!

Old 07-23-2006, 10:01 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,327,578 times
I do agree with you myself Scranton. Seeing (or trying) is believing and everyone's idea of "ideal" usually varies from one person to another. Our main concern is that moving to Maine might not be so hard, but should we want to return, moving back to Jersey isn't going to be so easy...cost of living and price of homes is insane here.

Old 07-31-2006, 07:12 AM

2 posts, read 14,561 times
Default be careful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azbound
The move to Arizona is about a quest for a new adventure and a desire to lighten up our lives. Lots of hard years of work in public service and health issues make the westerly weather look very good to us! Our hearts will remain as deeply imbedded in Maine as good old granite! Sounds like you will enjoy your transition. Orringtonian offers good suggestions!
We just moved from AZ. Please be careful out there. The random crime, gangs, and general violence is horrible.

My guess? See you back in 4 years =) But good luck!
perogi.

Old 07-31-2006, 09:05 AM

1 posts, read 4,148 times
Default moving to maine

My husband and I also had wanted to move to Maine for 20 years. We've always loved it here and took most vacations here. We've just been able to finally move here, to Alna, right next to Wiscasset. As any new place, it takes some adjusting. However, it is beautiful here, we love the scenery. Yes, we have to drive a longer distance to the stores, but you need to be organized, make a list and don't forget things...we'll take that for the peace and quiet we are afforded. We have 13 acres, which we could never have bought in Massachusetts. Everyone we have met has been helpful and friendly. I don't expect life here to be like back home....after all that's why we moved!!! I hope for things to be slower, simpler and more relaxed. I don't need the trappings of stuff and schedules we had in our lives before...we want and expect a change in lifestyle. We know we'll earn less money and will probably have to travel farther to work....that's okay, we'll take it. We have neighbors, but no one's right on top of you. There's space and land all around and beautiful views everywhere you drive.....it's peacful here and that's what we are after.....not the rushing and hustling and impatience of the world. I came across a quote by Thomas Jefferson that says it so well. "I had rather be shut up in a very modest cottage, with my books, my family, and a few old friends, dining on simple bacon, and letting the world roll on as it liked, than to occupy the most splendid post, which any human power can give."

Old 08-08-2006, 12:48 AM

Still researching here in NJ...haven't settled on a decision. I'm actually trying to research all of New England because I'm not quite sure if I want to go straight from here to Maine, it's a big distance for me. I'm thinking we should be more centralized between NJ and ME. I never had an interest in Mass. or CT, but I'd like to research them anyway. I'm just very concerned about finding a job in Maine, neither my husband nor I are in the teaching or medical field and that's what seems to be the big boom there. I can say that I want that more laid back life however because...every day there's some horrible story in the news about NJ (other states too of course, but NJ's getting worse all the time)...latest news is a mom suffocated her 12-year-old...crazy...(I'd like to pick up my family and friends and just move us all in one shot...maybe if I hit the lottery LOL)
Anyway, I'm glad this thread is doing so well, it's great to see all of these opinions, they really are helpful, not just to me but to anyone who's interested in learning about ME...I think we have a good thread going, we should keep it up.

On a side note, I wanted to say that I've been hearing so many negative things about AZ, in here and other threads too, I was rather surprised to hear about all the crime...just out of curiosity, is all this crime in one major area or spread out? I've heard the same about NM...

I'm sure New England states all have their problems too, but from what I've learned in here so far compared to more than half the country, it's nice to know that there's at least someplace that still has value.

Old 08-08-2006, 03:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,146 times
Default taking the plunge

I moved to Downeast Maine last summer....Columbia Falls. This is the heart of Blueberry country, and there are blueberry fields everywhere. Seems that every time I turn a corner there is a new sight, new beauty.
I bought a house in this village and turned the downstairs into a store and gallery, and live upstairs. It's amazingly peaceful, and safe here. I would highly recommend that if given the chance, take the plunge.

Old 08-08-2006, 02:16 PM

10 posts, read 44,302 times
[quote=pixieshmoo]None of you are helping me!!!!!!!!!!!!! No, you all are, but I'm still back and forth. I know your sales tax is higher than ours, double I think. So cost of living is probably not as good generally speaking. $500/year to register your car? That's insane, we pay $68 per year in Jersey!!!!

--And look at all the traffic Jersey has with people having multiple cars. I hate everything about "New Jerky"!!!!

Can't wait to finally get out!!!

Old 08-08-2006, 04:17 PM

Good point Madison! I never looked at it that way LOL

Old 08-09-2006, 11:10 AM

10 posts, read 44,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pixieshmoo
Good point Madison! I never looked at it that way LOL

Maybe the high rates are an incentive to keep traffic down. My bf & I will be selling one of our 3 cars before we move and are going to try really hard to find a way to commute together.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Maine